Ralfy Whiskey Reviews

The place for the palate perfectionist. We talk about the finest wines, the best food, and everything in-between. We're also not above doing a wine or restaurant review either! Find out the best pairings for Wine and cigars, including what to serve with specific meals, cheese pairings, and even which chocolate tastes best with a fine glass of Brandy. Don't forget about those tasty braai tips & tricks!

Ralfy Whiskey Reviews

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:10 pm

Not really a Whiskey drinker, but for some reason I reallly enjoy wathcing this guy's channel on you tube:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ralfystuff

It's quite amazing the flavours and scents he can pick up by just taking a sniff of the spirit. He can even tell the wood type of the cask :shock:

He's also not overly serious, and his full time profession is an embalmer :lol: He is based in the Isle of Man, but originally from Scotland.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Re: Ralfy Whiskey Reviews

Postby dini » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:24 pm

I do enjoy Ralfys reviews . :mrgreen:

I normally find his tastings very informative and influenced few off my purchases .
dini

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:51 pm

dini wrote:I do enjoy Ralfys reviews . :mrgreen:

I normally find his tastings very informative and influenced few off my purchases .

I only found him through his brother's YouTube channel. Check out, BigClive.com It's an electronics channel where he takes janky Chinese stuff and tears them down to bits. Very informative if you like electronics.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby jegreen » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:23 pm

Ralfy even reviewed some of our South African whisky as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcW9qqnhvA8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5VQoUPLz18
jegreen

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:12 pm

The thing that always has amazed me about the Whiskey Hobby / Pastime is the sheer number of different makers / marks / labels / bottlers out there. Is it an easy business to set up and get started? :think:
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby jegreen » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:43 am

There's a book called the Jim Murray Whisky Bible that has about 4500 whiskies that he rates and also claims to have personally tasted each one. So in South Africa we've only been exposed to a fraction of the whisky/whiskey available.

In South Africa the most well known locally made whisky is Three Ships/Bains in the Cape, Drayman's Whisky in Pretoria, and I've heard that Boplaas has also brought out a whisky. Van Loveren has a whisky called the Scottish Cousins but it's imported Scotch that they have bottled under their own label.

Whisky has to legally be matured in barrel for a minimum of 3 years to be called a whisky, and naturally most people want older whiskies. So pretty close to impossible for an individual to make commercially viable as it will take at least 5 years before you start getting some return on your up front investment.

That's why gin is very attractive as you can make it today and sell it tomorrow at equivalent whisky prices!
jegreen

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:15 am

jegreen wrote:There's a book called the Jim Murray Whisky Bible that has about 4500 whiskies that he rates and also claims to have personally tasted each one. So in South Africa we've only been exposed to a fraction of the whisky/whiskey available.

In South Africa the most well known locally made whisky is Three Ships/Bains in the Cape, Drayman's Whisky in Pretoria, and I've heard that Boplaas has also brought out a whisky. Van Loveren has a whisky called the Scottish Cousins but it's imported Scotch that they have bottled under their own label.

Whisky has to legally be matured in barrel for a minimum of 3 years to be called a whisky, and naturally most people want older whiskies. So pretty close to impossible for an individual to make commercially viable as it will take at least 5 years before you start getting some return on your up front investment.

That's why gin is very attractive as you can make it today and sell it tomorrow at equivalent whisky prices!

Wow, very interesting JeGreen.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby dini » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:15 am

Jim Murrays bible is a decent reference but the best bet is to go to places like Whisky Brother .

Have a taste of what they have to sample and make a purchase from there .

If you starting out , stay away from anything that has Islay on the label . :lol:

Also , whisky snobbery is real . After you go for a few tastings you will realise , there are people who take this really seriously .
Notepads in the pocket sort of serious . :oo
dini

Postby deepsouth » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:01 am

The peatier the better, Ardbeg Uigeadail, Suntory Yamazaki, Lagavulin and Laphroig are amongst my favorite over the counters - my dear sister and brother in law are both active members of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society and have gifted my some 'not sold' anywhere else. I love their flavor profiles
"
The nose – peat smoke, burning heather, Germolene and tar, crab shells, anise and tide-encroached driftwood bonfires – rather dark but desirable. The palate had definite ‘Wow’ factor – deep, floral peat-smoke, lots of liquorice and hints of menthol and eucalyptus – balanced by fruity, perfumed sweetness – lime marmalade and heather honey on burnt toast. The reduced nose combined telegraph poles and recently used barbeque grills with gin botanicals and chalky sweets (lemon bonbons, Edinburgh Rock). The palate was sweetly tropical with a darker edge – pineapple, lavender and sugar-coated fennel seeds, tarry ropes, burnt twigs and black tea; first aid boxes, Pernod and pork belly
"
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Return to Food, Wine & Spirits