Fynbos Gin & Mezcal

The place for the palate perfectionist. We talk about the finest wines, the best food, and everything in-between. We're also not above doing a wine or restaurant review either! Find out the best pairings for Wine and cigars, including what to serve with specific meals, cheese pairings, and even which chocolate tastes best with a fine glass of Brandy. Don't forget about those tasty braai tips & tricks!

Fynbos Gin & Mezcal

Postby deepsouth » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:42 pm

Hi Gents,

I have been blessed enough to travel to the Spice Route, where https://wilderer.co.za/ can be found, also ( CBC Breweries - which is low on my craft like list)

These guys do make a very yummy Fynbos Gin - very light on the juniper side of things, and quite aromatic. I did mix it with tonic and a slice of lemon only once, but felt that it destroys the fine work that was (ahem) instilled into it - give it a go, a bit on the dear side at around R300 but less than the mass produced Hendricks, slightly more than Tanqueray. They also make a bierschnapps - 25l of CBC used to make one 750ml bottle and it's fantastic extremely highly very very recommended ! Check them out, they do awesome grappa and other spirits too. Worthwhile in my view - great stocking stuffer

Mezcal is similar to Tequila, made from parts of the Agave plant, (Tequila made from blue agave) these are usually from a certain region in Mexico. I would recommend the anejo. The taste is also similar to tequila but much stronger in the agave taste. Sipping tequila is the best. It's a bit dear around patron and don julio ranges but rungs above the olmeca and that cuervo crap. El Jimnador reposado is decent and still way better than any olmeca/cuervo.
My dear sister sent me some Marca Negra Mezcal - stunning stuff !
Available from Norman Goodfellows
https://www.ngf.co.za/la-muerte-mezcal- ... black.html
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Return to Food, Wine & Spirits