The use of wine in food.

The place for the palate perfectionist. We talk about the finest wines, the best food, and everything in-between. We're also not above doing a wine or restaurant review either! Find out the best pairings for Wine and cigars, including what to serve with specific meals, cheese pairings, and even which chocolate tastes best with a fine glass of Brandy. Don't forget about those tasty braai tips & tricks!

The use of wine in food.

Postby BLES » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:24 pm

Yesterday I slow cooked ox-tail. I used a very nice Shiraz in it and there’s about 150ml leftover. Not to waste any of the good stuff I’ll be making a bolognaise sauce tonight with the leftover wine. Do you guys also cook with wine? When my sons were younger they hated the taste of red wine in food but lately they will tell me I can add some more wine to the food. :o I was once told you shouldn’t add wine you wouldn’t drink in food. It is said the better the wine the better the food. Since I practised this method I 100% agree with this statement. I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas on wine in food. A recipe or two would be nice as well... :D
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Re: The use of wine in food.

Postby deepsouth » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:36 pm

Venison and red wine pairs very well. My goto moerby is
cup of sourcream
cup of bbq sauce
mix these, then
cup of red (personally prefer pinotage por the pot)
some slcied onions
some fresh garlic
mix all of this add venison ( i love springbuck )
120c in the oven for a long time, slow cook - so good
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Re: The use of wine in food.

Postby BLES » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:41 pm

It sounds delicious. I still have some koedoe I can try out with your recipe. This will definitely have to wait for a Sunday lunch or dinner because in the week I don’t have time for slow cooking…. :(
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Return to Food, Wine & Spirits