Biltong Recipes

The place for the palate perfectionist. We talk about the finest wines, the best food, and everything in-between. We're also not above doing a wine or restaurant review either! Find out the best pairings for Wine and cigars, including what to serve with specific meals, cheese pairings, and even which chocolate tastes best with a fine glass of Brandy. Don't forget about those tasty braai tips & tricks!

Biltong Recipes

Postby admin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:50 am

For the past 2 years I have really enjoyed making my own biltong, for the most part is that I can decide on the flavour and how wet/dry I like it. I thought we could share some of our hints and tips and spices used to make that awesome 'stuk'

I use this pre-mixed spice most of the time;
Safari Mix.JPG

Some other ingredients I add and play around with;
Brown Sugar
Worcestershire Sauce
Cayenne Pepper (spicy)
Ground Coriander

My latest batch;
Biltong.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Master Shave | The Home of Wet Shaving Enthusiasts |Links: Image Image
admin
Site Admin

Re: Biltong Recipes

Postby HenkB » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:37 pm

Looks very nice.
I also do my own biltong. Use Hirsh's Kalahari spice, and lots of vinegar. Lots of "talking" with the spices and meat and vinegar for 3 days.
Then hanging up and letting dry...

Awesome...
HenkB

Re: Biltong Recipes

Postby BLES » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:40 pm

Now this sounds like fun idea. What do you use, beef? I had the opportunity to make my first biltong last year when I shared a rooibok with a friend. My back was killing me after cutting up all the meat. I can’t remember but I also bought biltong pre-mix from Crown International. I’ll have a look over the week-end for the name but to me it was pretty awesome. There was nothing fancy about my biltong as I only used brown vinegar together with the spice. I still have my plastic containers and hooks stowed away ready for action. You will have to lead the way as I’m still new in this but eager to learn.
PS. Your biltong does look good. :thumbup: :clap:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Return to Food, Wine & Spirits