Whisk(e)y

The place for the palate perfectionist. We talk about the finest wines, the best food, and everything in-between. We're also not above doing a wine or restaurant review either! Find out the best pairings for Wine and cigars, including what to serve with specific meals, cheese pairings, and even which chocolate tastes best with a fine glass of Brandy. Don't forget about those tasty braai tips & tricks!

Whisk(e)y

Postby panthera » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:44 pm

Whisky for the gentlemen and Whiskey if you are that way inclined..

I am a big fan of whisky, particularly Islay scotches- single malts and blends. I like very peaty, smoky and salty scotches. They are not for everyone but I like the character- they are for scotch drinkers that like the taste of scotch! Not like a few of these American blends (Johnnie Walker I am looking at you) that try and become so smooth as the ultimate goal that you almost can't taste anything at all.

Currently, a good Islay that I can find in most bottle stores in the Lowveld (!) is Lagavulin 16yo and it would be a great introduction to anyone interested to taste the flavours I described above. It is a true classic. My other favourite at the moment is Ardbeg Uigedail (cask strength) but that was bought at duty free for me by a friend visiting. I'm sure those of you in Joburg and the Cape would be able to find it in a specialist bottle store.

On the other hand I do also like a good bourbon, another locally available to me is Woodford Reserve. I use it to make Old Fashioned's mainly, a very, very easy cocktail to make that I can give a great recipe for if anyone is interested. It celebrates a decent bourbon.

So do we have any whisk(e)y drinkers here on the forum? What are your favourite tipples? Anything we should be looking out for?
panthera
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:18 am

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby Riaanb » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:53 pm

panthera wrote:Whisky for the gentlemen and Whiskey if you are that way inclined..

I am a big fan of whisky, particularly Islay scotches- single malts and blends. I like very peaty, smoky and salty scotches. They are not for everyone but I like the character- they are for scotch drinkers that like the taste of scotch! Not like a few of these American blends (Johnnie Walker I am looking at you) that try and become so smooth as the ultimate goal that you almost can't taste anything at all.

Currently, a good Islay that I can find in most bottle stores in the Lowveld (!) is Lagavulin 16yo and it would be a great introduction to anyone interested to taste the flavours I described above. It is a true classic. My other favourite at the moment is Ardbeg Uigedail (cask strength) but that was bought at duty free for me by a friend visiting. I'm sure those of you in Joburg and the Cape would be able to find it in a specialist bottle store.

On the other hand I do also like a good bourbon, another locally available to me is Woodford Reserve. I use it to make Old Fashioned's mainly, a very, very easy cocktail to make that I can give a great recipe for if anyone is interested. It celebrates a decent bourbon.

So do we have any whisk(e)y drinkers here on the forum? What are your favourite tipples? Anything we should be looking out for?





YIP :wave: .....love all kinds of whiskeys, it is time to buy and always try else. Almost finished with a bottle of Johnny Walker Swing and will start on a Dalmore Cigar Malt.

A good whiskey for under R200 is "Slate Chicago Bourbon" some good stuff.

And oh..i have been drinking all my whiskeys "Neet", sometimes with those cold cubes that does not smelt.
"Every time I go and shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving. So I say, 'I'm gonna go shave, too.'
Mitch Hedberg
User avatar
Riaanb
 
Posts: 1832
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:16 pm
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby HenkB » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:59 pm

I llike my whiskey's neat.

Also like the heavy, smoked peaty whiskey's, and then I also like a light whiskey. Cant recall all the name's that I have in my cupboard now, but will update tomorrow.

I like this corner!
HenkB
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby panthera » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:02 pm

Riaanb wrote:
panthera wrote:Whisky for the gentlemen and Whiskey if you are that way inclined..

I am a big fan of whisky, particularly Islay scotches- single malts and blends. I like very peaty, smoky and salty scotches. They are not for everyone but I like the character- they are for scotch drinkers that like the taste of scotch! Not like a few of these American blends (Johnnie Walker I am looking at you) that try and become so smooth as the ultimate goal that you almost can't taste anything at all.

Currently, a good Islay that I can find in most bottle stores in the Lowveld (!) is Lagavulin 16yo and it would be a great introduction to anyone interested to taste the flavours I described above. It is a true classic. My other favourite at the moment is Ardbeg Uigedail (cask strength) but that was bought at duty free for me by a friend visiting. I'm sure those of you in Joburg and the Cape would be able to find it in a specialist bottle store.

On the other hand I do also like a good bourbon, another locally available to me is Woodford Reserve. I use it to make Old Fashioned's mainly, a very, very easy cocktail to make that I can give a great recipe for if anyone is interested. It celebrates a decent bourbon.

So do we have any whisk(e)y drinkers here on the forum? What are your favourite tipples? Anything we should be looking out for?





YIP :wave: .....love all kinds of whiskeys, it is time to buy and always try else. Almost finished with a bottle of Johnny Walker Swing and will start on a Dalmore Cigar Malt.

A good whiskey for under R200 is "Slate Chicago Bourbon" some good stuff.

And oh..i have been drinking all my whiskeys "Neet", sometimes with those cold cubes that does not smelt.


Very nice, I will be interested to hear how you get on with the Dalmore! What did you think of the JW?

I also drink neat- I have seen the 'whisky rocks' that you freeze and do not melt but haven't given them a go yet.
panthera
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:18 am

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby panthera » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:04 pm

HenkB wrote:I llike my whiskey's neat.

Also like the heavy, smoked peaty whiskey's, and then I also like a light whiskey. Cant recall all the name's that I have in my cupboard now, but will update tomorrow.

I like this corner!


Good man, I also like them neat. Maybe with a cask strength a dash of soda water just to turn down the fire a notch.

Eish, I fancy one now... :twisted: .
panthera
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:18 am

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby robmac » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:10 pm

Big whisky drinker - have a fairly large collection.

My all-time favourite is the bushmills 16yo but almost impossible to find now.
I drink with a splash of water and a giant ice-ball like this http://www.yuppiechef.com/zoku-ice-makers.htm?id=11548&name=Zoku-Ice-Ball-Set-of-2&ref=search
robmac
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:38 pm

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby Riaanb » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:16 pm

The JW Swing is smooth, but to describe the taste and notes of whiskey is like describing the scent of shaving soap :oo

I also had a big collection, now i am reducing it where i can buy a bottle every month, plus with a big collection everybody that visits wants to taste my stass :cry:
"Every time I go and shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving. So I say, 'I'm gonna go shave, too.'
Mitch Hedberg
User avatar
Riaanb
 
Posts: 1832
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:16 pm
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby panthera » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:21 pm

robmac wrote:Big whisky drinker - have a fairly large collection.

My all-time favourite is the bushmills 16yo but almost impossible to find now.
I drink with a splash of water and a giant ice-ball like this http://www.yuppiechef.com/zoku-ice-makers.htm?id=11548&name=Zoku-Ice-Ball-Set-of-2&ref=search


That is awesome!! I am going to get some of those for G&Ts and Old Fashioneds. Thanks very much for the tip±
panthera
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:18 am

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby O_P » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:24 pm

I am also a whiskey fan.

I find the whisky I reach for is dependent on my mood.

Of the peaty variety I also enjoy Lagavulin 16, Aardberg 10 and Laphroaig 10. For a similar flavour but at a lower price point Black Bottle blended offers good value.

My easy drinking options include The Singleton, Highland Park (12 &18 when feeling flush), Glenlivet and my favourite Glenrothes.

I generally have my whiskey with 2-3 ice cubes, I find that the addition of a bit of water (from the ice) releases the fragrance of the whisky
User avatar
O_P
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:00 pm
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby panthera » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:26 pm

Riaanb wrote:The JW Swing is smooth, but to describe the taste and notes of whiskey is like describing the scent of shaving soap :oo

I also had a big collection, now i am reducing it where i can buy a bottle every month, plus with a big collection everybody that visits wants to taste my stass :cry:


Sounds good- maybe I need to try a few of the JWs and experiment with the range a bit. I have tried JW Blue before (their top of the range) which is were my opinion of JW comes from and I have to say I wasn't very impressed. Being an avid Islay drinker I thought it was too smooth and couldn't taste much. For the price they charge for it I was expecting to be take on a 'journey'. I even suspected they may have diluted it, but after some research that is what they were aiming for!
panthera
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:18 am

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby panthera » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:29 pm

O_P wrote:I am also a whiskey fan.

I find the whisky I reach for is dependent on my mood.

Of the peaty variety I also enjoy Lagavulin 16, Aardberg 10 and Laphroaig 10. For a similar flavour but at a lower price point Black Bottle blended offers good value.

My easy drinking options include The Singleton, Highland Park (12 &18 when feeling flush), Glenlivet and my favourite Glenrothes.

I generally have my whiskey with 2-3 ice cubes, I find that the addition of a bit of water (from the ice) releases the fragrance of the whisky


Wow, looks like there are some great drams in your collection there. I am also a fan of the Ardbeg 10. My SO thinks it tastes like antiseptic fluid! :oo

Are there any specialist bottle stores down in Joburg that you know of?
panthera
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:18 am

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby O_P » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:56 pm

panthera wrote:
O_P wrote:I am also a whiskey fan.

I find the whisky I reach for is dependent on my mood.

Of the peaty variety I also enjoy Lagavulin 16, Aardberg 10 and Laphroaig 10. For a similar flavour but at a lower price point Black Bottle blended offers good value.

My easy drinking options include The Singleton, Highland Park (12 &18 when feeling flush), Glenlivet and my favourite Glenrothes.

I generally have my whiskey with 2-3 ice cubes, I find that the addition of a bit of water (from the ice) releases the fragrance of the whisky


Wow, looks like there are some great drams in your collection there. I am also a fan of the Ardbeg 10. My SO thinks it tastes like antiseptic fluid! :oo

Are there any specialist bottle stores down in Joburg that you know of?



Ha ha, it can be a bit medicinal.

There aren't any specific whisky shops in Joburg but I do get joy at both Marko and Norman Goodfellows both of whom deliver. The only specialist whisky store I know of is Wild about Whisky in Dullstroom - they have a fantastic collection
User avatar
O_P
 
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:00 pm
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby robmac » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:08 pm

I've had pretty good experience with http://www.bottleshop.co.za/
They have a great whisk(e)y selection.

They even have Glenfiddich 50 Year Old Whisky if you have some cash to burn!!
robmac
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:38 pm

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby Thug » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:13 pm

I have a whisky now and again (I have a open bottle of Jameson's in the kitchen) but wouldn't say I'm a massive whisky drinker.

When I do partake, it's with a couple of ice blocks.

I was about to buy some Nikka at Narita Airport on my way back to SA but was warned that it would be confiscated by customs at Doha, so that put paid to that idea.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
User avatar
Thug
 
Posts: 4110
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby dini » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:37 am

I am a not much of an islay fan , but every other region gets sampled with enthusiasm . :mrgreen:

Favourite distillers so far include The Balvenie , Pultney and Highland Park .

For a nice selection and informative staff try Whisky Brother in Hyde Park shopping centre .
dini
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 2:31 pm

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby AndreV » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:49 am

Ooooo Whisky. Love them all.
Just yesterday I secured my tickets for the whisky festival in Santon. If you haven't been you have to go.
As for specialty shops, there is one that opened in HydePark a couple of months ago called Whiskybrother (http://www.whiskybrother.com). The nice thing about them is some of the whisky's you can buy a shot to taste before you buy a bottle.
I like my whisky with 2 or 3 blocks of ice depended on the outside temp and the size of the ice blocks. but very keen to try the whisky stones.
My favorites include Glenmorangie, Laphroaig, Glenlivet. Currently on a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 year.
My drinking whisky (if i can call it that) is Glen Grant Major's Reserve.
Still very keen to try some Taiwan Whisky as they are currently holding the Worlds Best Single Malt.

I love this topic as there is always so much to learn from fellow whisky lovers.
Shaving like it should be done!!
User avatar
AndreV
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:26 pm
Location: JHB

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby BLES » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:22 am

I’ve should have known whiskey would be one of the starter topics in the Drawing Room. :lol: What better to pair with a good cigar or bowl of tobacco than a whiskey with a few blocks of ice to opens up the flavours? I also prefer my ice to be formed from filtered water as I found that different types of tap water can influence the taste of the whiskey.
My current whiskey I’m enjoying is the Bain’s Cape Mountain whiskey. It is the first South African single grain made whiskey. With the aroma I pick up notes of vanilla and toffee which I really love and I will definitely buy this one again.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
User avatar
BLES
 
Posts: 4342
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:27 am
Location: PRETORIA

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby Jacquers » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:33 am

Bain's is lekker, had the pleasure of tasting it the other day. On special atm at Checkers Liquor for R189

I also had a taste of the Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey - sweet but also very nice.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
User avatar
Jacquers
 
Posts: 1221
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:20 pm
Location: Port Elizabeth

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby HenkB » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:00 pm

I agree. I also like Bains whiskey, not so heavy as the other ones that I have. A nice sit back, relax and enjoy whiskey.
HenkB
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: Whisk(e)y

Postby BLES » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:04 pm

Jacquers wrote:Bain's is lekker, had the pleasure of tasting it the other day. On special atm at Checkers Liquor for R189

I also had a taste of the Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey - sweet but also very nice.


For that price you should get two bottles. :thumbup:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
User avatar
BLES
 
Posts: 4342
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:27 am
Location: PRETORIA

Next

Return to Food, Wine & Spirits

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
cron