Homebrewing

The place for the palate perfectionist. We talk about the finest wines, the best food, and everything in-between. We're also not above doing a wine or restaurant review either! Find out the best pairings for Wine and cigars, including what to serve with specific meals, cheese pairings, and even which chocolate tastes best with a fine glass of Brandy. Don't forget about those tasty braai tips & tricks!

Re: Homebrewing

Postby deepsouth » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:48 pm

Oh yeah, for the raw apple press I was thinking of adding raw honey post fermentation to sweeten, trying to keep it very natural.
My brother is making a mead, but not sure if I have the patience right now, 12 month process...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby deepsouth » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:46 pm

I've been quiet, but have a few updates,

The liquifruit cider I made is awesome, very clear with a nice red color and great taste - there was no need to backsweeten, but my interest in cider has dropped quite a bit and the keg is still pretty full too.

I've since been researching yeast and yeast strains and have managed to get my hands on some Norwegian farmhouse yeast that I used in my last brew. (I used three complementary NZ hop varieties, a pale ale base malt colored red using a little bit of black malt and followed with a quick 3 day dry hop at temp)

This stuff is a beastie of a yeasty ! Super aggressive at high temperatures whilst not throwing phenols or off flavors throughout the 18C-41C(!?!) temp range, it does produce a pleasant citrus-like ester, which complimented the hop profiles.

I had to turn up the fermentation temperature (in summer) to the max setting on my little heater to 34C. The beer finished fermentation in 2 days, but I left it for another day to 'clean'. I couldn't perform a diacetyl rest, thanks little heater, but at these temperatures I wonder if the need didn't fall away. This yeast breaks all the 'rules' so far, what's another one?

I can now produce a beer from grains to keg (including cold crash) in 5 days, using commercial yeast this would typically be a 12 day process.

I made a yeast starter in my 2L Erlenmeyer on the stir plate, but it chewed through my hydrated malt extract in a few hours which is insane compared to commercial yeasts. I've ordered a 2L separatory funnel with bosshead, stand etc to make washing and storing easier. I most certainly want to keep this yeast in my arsenal.

The other interesting piece of info I picked up just last week was around the thermal isomerization of alpha acids and the effect that dry hopping has on bittering. I never thought that dry hopping could decrease or increase your bittering count, dependent on a small bittering window, in which the alpha acids isomerize during variable temperatures in the boil stage. The research was only made available last year, and humans have been brewing beer for quite some time - although the addition of hops was fairly recent in 1079

Looking back at my first post back in October, I have learnt a whole bunch and am still enjoying the learning process even more.
deepsouth

Postby Thug » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:46 pm

deepsouth wrote:I've been quiet, but have a few updates,

The liquifruit cider I made is awesome, very clear with a nice red color and great taste - there was no need to backsweeten, but my interest in cider has dropped quite a bit and the keg is still pretty full too.

I've since been researching yeast and yeast strains and have managed to get my hands on some Norwegian farmhouse yeast that I used in my last brew. (I used three complementary NZ hop varieties, a pale ale base malt colored red using a little bit of black malt and followed with a quick 3 day dry hop at temp)

This stuff is a beastie of a yeasty ! Super aggressive at high temperatures whilst not throwing phenols or off flavors throughout the 18C-41C(!?!) temp range, it does produce a pleasant citrus-like ester, which complimented the hop profiles.

I had to turn up the fermentation temperature (in summer) to the max setting on my little heater to 34C. The beer finished fermentation in 2 days, but I left it for another day to 'clean'. I couldn't perform a diacetyl rest, thanks little heater, but at these temperatures I wonder if the need didn't fall away. This yeast breaks all the 'rules' so far, what's another one?

I can now produce a beer from grains to keg (including cold crash) in 5 days, using commercial yeast this would typically be a 12 day process.

I made a yeast starter in my 2L Erlenmeyer on the stir plate, but it chewed through my hydrated malt extract in a few hours which is insane compared to commercial yeasts. I've ordered a 2L separatory funnel with bosshead, stand etc to make washing and storing easier. I most certainly want to keep this yeast in my arsenal.

The other interesting piece of info I picked up just last week was around the thermal isomerization of alpha acids and the effect that dry hopping has on bittering. I never thought that dry hopping could decrease or increase your bittering count, dependent on a small bittering window, in which the alpha acids isomerize during variable temperatures in the boil stage. The research was only made available last year, and humans have been brewing beer for quite some time - although the addition of hops was fairly recent in 1079

Looking back at my first post back in October, I have learnt a whole bunch and am still enjoying the learning process even more.

Reading through your posts, I'm still trying understand what dry-hopping is and don't get me started on "isomerization of alpha acids". :D
Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:57 pm

Hi DS,

cam across this picture you might like... just one drink... :OOO :OOO :OOO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby deepsouth » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:22 am

Update time;

I have upgraded my brew unit to be *bluetooth enabled, this allows me to not only control and monitor the mash and boil processes, but also enable a delayed start (so that my water can hit strike temp when I wake up) and also the ability to import my recipes directly onto the unit.
Nifty!

I also built a **temperature controlled fermentation chamber that allows me to precisely control the temperature that I ferment at, so now I can properly lager (long process at low temp), do a diacetyl rest (short temp ramp up to rid diacetyl from beer) and cold crash ( short temp drop to allow yeast to flocculate) in the same chamber.
Sweet!

Furthermore, my separatory funnel finally arrived (thanks festive shipping delays) which will allow me to easily separate the trub from the yeast, in order to reuse a specific strain. I store these in a solution topped up with glycerin immersed in an alcohol bath in the fridge.
Neat!

*new controller
**323l fridge only, with a stc-1000 microcontroller wired to a heatsource and the fridge supply that allows profiles for desired temp, 0.n C variance before heating/cooling, max delay on compressor rest and a temp correction feature.
deepsouth

Postby matthewoli98 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:27 pm

:o: i should definitely give this a try!
Matthew Olivier (aka matthewoli98)
Instagram-matthewoli98
Cell number-0788630709
matthewoli98

Postby deepsouth » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:12 pm

My latest creation, California common aka steam beer. Single hop (Northern Brewer) , malt forward (Maris Otter, Crystal 60L and chocolate malt) warm largered for ester production with saflager 34/70 propagated on the stir plate with dry malt extract. Fined for clarity.

I have a Porter on cold crash, which should be ready to keg by Tuesday (after fining)

My next brew will be a massive hop forward digital ipa, I've been planning this one for a while now, 200g+ hop schedule mainly New Zealand hops as I had to substitute some American hops for the unobtainium NZ's. After this a brewdog clone of a award winning pilsner and a märzen that will be fermenting for circa 30 days at low temp. I'm truly enjoying this beer brewing, but end up giving away the bulk of my beer as it's way too much for only me. Pity you blokes don't live in Cape Town :-(

deepsouth

Postby matthewoli98 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:14 am

Id move to cape town just for the free beer
Matthew Olivier (aka matthewoli98)
Instagram-matthewoli98
Cell number-0788630709
matthewoli98

Postby jegreen » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:33 pm

Was digging around at in one of our cellars at work and came across this behind a pile of boxes. I'm sure I could do a lot more with it!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jegreen

Postby deepsouth » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:03 pm

Holy smokes thats a conical fermenter and a gf, nice find! Around R25k find at that. Some are you going to fireworks it up?

deepsouth

Postby deepsouth » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:05 pm

Just a note, the glass lid should not be clipped in, can crack. The clips are for the alembic potstill.

deepsouth

Postby jegreen » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:04 am

deepsouth wrote:Just a note, the glass lid should not be clipped in, can crack. The clips are for the alembic potstill.

I'll let them know. This is an R&D cellar that's part of the company I work for. I'll try get some more pics when I go there again, but this is a picture walking out the storage room where I found the Grainfather sitting. This setup in the photo is for making cider, starting with whole apples, then crushing, decanting, enzyme stabilisation, pasteurisation, evaporation to make a stable syrup and then a small scale fermentation setup. Behind the far white wall is a room with a mash tun and 500 litre mash filter to convert grain based products to be fermented and used for small scale distillation, eg, whisky. To the left, which the view is blocked by a tank, is a 200 litre mashing setup for making beer. On the floor below this is a mini distillation column, mini pot stills for brandy and gin, a number of 100 litre fermentation tanks with chilled cooling, and a mini bottling line to test bottles or cans. There's also temperature controlled hot or cold rooms, a small plant to homogenise cream based products, and everything needed to make small batches of wine. So it's basically a craft setup to do all alcoholic products and replicate a larger scale.
jegreen

Previous

Return to Food, Wine & Spirits