Homebrewing

The place for the palate perfectionist. We talk about the finest wines, the best food, and everything in-between. We're also not above doing a wine or restaurant review either! Find out the best pairings for Wine and cigars, including what to serve with specific meals, cheese pairings, and even which chocolate tastes best with a fine glass of Brandy. Don't forget about those tasty braai tips & tricks!

Re: Homebrewing

Postby Bundubeard » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:48 pm

Cool hobby DS, if you were closer we'd be trading and bartering regularly!
Boendoebaard/Bundubeard

Kry daai boendoe van jou gesig af/Get that bundu off your face
Bundubeard

Postby DAVEP » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:42 pm

I have a name for your home brew it is "Wampiss" bwahahaha
DAVEP

Postby deepsouth » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:19 pm

:lol:

i'm going to call my creations: beer - perhaps beer1, beer2 etc. this heatwave isn't helping the fermentation stage. considering a little bar fridge with a digital temperature controller to keep it steady. if doing lagers i'd need this anyway.
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby deepsouth » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:03 pm

Tapped my first brew, what a beauty. Low bittering, rounded malt, smooth an a slight fruitiness from the Centennial hops. I poured the head a bit high, fiddling with the flow of control on the tap. Still a bit cloudy, but the taste is phenomenal!

Cheers gents!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
deepsouth

Postby Jacquers » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:52 pm

That looks and sounds fantastic :clap:
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby jegreen » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:02 am

What a great end result! Makes it so worth it.
jegreen

Postby deepsouth » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:00 pm

Yep, the first keg carked it tonight...not bad considering the heaps I gave away and neighbor tasting sessions. Well worth the effort.
My Kiwi beer has finished force carbonation and on tap, it does need to age a little more. Should be golden (pun intended) by the weekend.
I'm brewing an English ale coming weekend, step mashed and late hopped with Fuggles and Mt Hood. Green Bullet bittering halfway through the boil.
The Raspberry Lime cider is lagging tremendously, I think another week should do, next time I'll hydrate the yeast and add a bit of nutrients to the fermentation phase. The three keg setup is working well so far, perhaps another keg for aging...

deepsouth

Postby deepsouth » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:09 pm

If anyone is interested, I can share the recipe I'm making this weekend (others too)

deepsouth

Postby deepsouth » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:35 pm

Completed my 3rd brew today, started at 05h30 finished at 12h00, including clean up. Fantastic way to spend a morning.

English Blonde ale, step mashed and late hopped... Aimed for a 1,045 OG, ended up with a 1,050 on the nose. The Kiwi ale should be perfect when I keg todays brew and the laggy raspberry lime cider next week. Finally filling up the deep fridge keg cooler or 'Grogbox' as it's now known.

Just in time for my West coast break away. If you fellows are keen, I'll keep on posting my brewscapades. No shave though...

deepsouth

Postby Thug » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:08 am

Looking good DS!
Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:13 pm

The lather on top of the other beer looked a bit though... :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby deepsouth » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:10 pm

Hehe, this is just a sample to measure the gravity of the hopped wort. From here on its transferred to the fermentor, adding yeast to turns it into beer. The 'lather' comes last, carbonation

deepsouth

Postby deepsouth » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:23 am

Forgot to to post this, the New Zealand hopped ale. The color is from the Cara aroma grains (didn't use it in the English hopped ale)
The taste is good, but it's too strong for my liking. Will adjust accordingly, but good to know that I can make a high alcohol beer. Perhaps any imperialist stout or something for winter (not a stout fan, but maybe I can make it a nicer one, lactose in beer ugh)

deepsouth

Postby deepsouth » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:52 pm

Another forgetful post, did a tri hop American amber ale this past weekend, 15l boil, Citra, Centennial and Mosaic with a 5kg grainbill of 3kg pale, 1kg Vienna, 0.5 Cara aroma and 0.5 Pils malts.
Step mashed at 63c for 15min and 68c for 45min, smashing the amylasis. With a 80c sparge of 17l, mashout at 75c for 10min.
17g green bullet bittering at 30min, with a 5 min hopload of the tri hops. Hopstand these for 20 min post boil. Final ibu at 35. Original gravity on the nose at 1.044 in the hydrometer.
Used a rehydrated safale us05 pitched at 22c. Expecting a 4.5%Abv after a 10 day fermentation, possible diacetyl rest to 22c then rack to secondary and dry hop for 7-10days with 90g tri hops from the hopbill.
Super close to an American Ipa, but amber on ebc. Force carbonation and keg conditioning post dry hop at 30 psi for 3 days and 11psi forces dispensing, at 3c

Started at 05h30 and completely done at 12h00 including pitch and clean up. Brilliantly fun, can't wait to taste this!

Completed the keezer build afterwards. ImageImageImage

deepsouth

Postby deepsouth » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:59 pm

I concocted the recipe myself and am pretty chuffed to have reached the theoretical numbers and applying it in practice. The next one will be more complex: Yeastie Boys Digital IPA.

I've been studying up on yeasts, a bit of microbiology and yeast propagation using different methods, invested in some lab gear and dead keen to try my hand at another aspect of this fascinating past time
deepsouth

Postby jegreen » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:34 am

It's always gratifying to see the theory/science working out. What kind of volume have you produced so far?
jegreen

Postby deepsouth » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:37 am

It's a fascinating hobby and of course rich in history - I've been doing a lot of reading lately, getting immersed.

I've done four successful brew days, with two of these still in fermentation. At around ~20l each, I share a lot as it's way too much for me to consume.

I've done one Cider from a kit - not impressed with it to be honest, but have a few experiments to run to find a good/economical cider process, I do think I might settle on a graff (malted cider) or ginger beer? There's no character in the cider I made, I added some fresh juice to a glass of it and it was 'better' but not remotely comparable to the ales I've made.
deepsouth

Postby deepsouth » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:26 pm

Cider: Quest for flavor and the process to be economically viable

All right - here's the plan.

1st attempt; "baseline" Around R500
I used a Mangrove Jacks Cider kit, that included the juice concentrate, yeast, flavoring and artificial sweetener. Additionally bought 1kg of dextrose. Thoughts; the process can be improved, the yeast is meh (might need nutrients to help it along) I used half a sachet of artificial sweetener to back-sweeten as the yeast munched through the simple sugars, for an off dry taste. Added the flavoring sachet directly into the keg. During slow fermentation, the yeast spew sulphur and some googling led me to believe it's normal, but I reckon it needed nutrients or aeration or both as the simple sugars weren't sufficient for propagation and sustaining the yeast.

2nd planned attempt; this could work well R365 or R385
Purchase ~20l of preservative free tertrapak fruit juice (Liquifruit,Ceres,Woolies) They add vitamin c to the batches, but it's really preservative free. Use an rehydrated ale yeast, with nutrients - dependant on the gravity reading of the juice only, I might add dextrose to bump the gravity. Ferment around 17l of this stuff and post fermentation add the 3l of unfermented juice to sweeten naturally.

3rd planned attempt; Could work too, R330
Procure a preservative free fruit concentrate / pulp and some (saison liquid yeast or champagne yeast) with nutrients, add rehydrated dry malt extract to bump OG if needed. Back sweeten with same concentrate or pulp if needed.

4th planned attempt; not much hope for this to stick - if the 2nd, 3rd works I'll skip this. R200
Use a basic dextrose water solution to ferment without any fruit juice or concentrate. Back flavor with concentrate after fermentation - this would be super cheap, but really flavored alcohol. Some concentrates are heavily laden with preservatives, which discourage yeast propagation, just something to look out for

5th planned attempt; not sure of juice yield per apple so not figuring out the cost
Get some fresh apples, squeeze, drain and pitch yeast.

if none of these work then I'll do a Graff;
Malted cider using all grain mashed wort, light or no hop, then chuck in some raw fruit juice during fermentation.
If that fails then I'll scratch cider from my work list for ever ever.
deepsouth

Postby jegreen » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:51 pm

deepsouth wrote:Cider: Quest for flavor and the process to be economically viable

All right - here's the plan.

1st attempt; "baseline" Around R500
I used a Mangrove Jacks Cider kit, that included the juice concentrate, yeast, flavoring and artificial sweetener. Additionally bought 1kg of dextrose. Thoughts; the process can be improved, the yeast is meh (might need nutrients to help it along) I used half a sachet of artificial sweetener to back-sweeten as the yeast munched through the simple sugars, for an off dry taste. Added the flavoring sachet directly into the keg. During slow fermentation, the yeast spew sulphur and some googling led me to believe it's normal, but I reckon it needed nutrients or aeration or both as the simple sugars weren't sufficient for propagation and sustaining the yeast.

2nd planned attempt; this could work well R365 or R385
Purchase ~20l of preservative free tertrapak fruit juice (Liquifruit,Ceres,Woolies) They add vitamin c to the batches, but it's really preservative free. Use an rehydrated ale yeast, with nutrients - dependant on the gravity reading of the juice only, I might add dextrose to bump the gravity. Ferment around 17l of this stuff and post fermentation add the 3l of unfermented juice to sweeten naturally.

3rd planned attempt; Could work too, R330
Procure a preservative free fruit concentrate / pulp and some (saison liquid yeast or champagne yeast) with nutrients, add rehydrated dry malt extract to bump OG if needed. Back sweeten with same concentrate or pulp if needed.

4th planned attempt; not much hope for this to stick - if the 2nd, 3rd works I'll skip this. R200
Use a basic dextrose water solution to ferment without any fruit juice or concentrate. Back flavor with concentrate after fermentation - this would be super cheap, but really flavored alcohol. Some concentrates are heavily laden with preservatives, which discourage yeast propagation, just something to look out for

5th planned attempt; not sure of juice yield per apple so not figuring out the cost
Get some fresh apples, squeeze, drain and pitch yeast.

if none of these work then I'll do a Graff;
Malted cider using all grain mashed wort, light or no hop, then chuck in some raw fruit juice during fermentation.
If that fails then I'll scratch cider from my work list for ever ever.

Quite a plan there!

1st attempt - good idea to add more sugar, but think dextrose is more difficult to metabolise and would just stick to plain old sucrose. Most important is what Brix are you aiming before adding the yeast? A fermentation aid is necessary with not many nutrients available in the concentrate, something like DAP will work fine. Sulphury notes in fermentation can be from a nutrient deficiency or the fermentation running to hot.

2nd/3rd attempt - this is closer to what I'm describing above, so you could do this with concentrate instead of juice. Good idea to add juice in again afterwards for flavouring and sweetness, as the fermentation will be dry and bland if it progresses fully.

4th attempt - stay away from this. Need massive amounts of nutrients and you will end up with heavy sulphur notes. You are correct in that this is the cheapest alcohol base, but in practice this will need charcoal stripping to get a base that is usable.

5th attempt - you'll probably end up with something amazing here!
jegreen

Postby deepsouth » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:39 pm

Well, I'm still learning the tricks of the trade and thought a trial by experimentation would be a good teacher. I did make the 1st attempt as a baseline using an off the shelf kit. Not super impressed though, I forgot to take an OG reading, but pulled it on 1.010 FG The instructions said OG should be 1.055 and worked on that. Yeah, messed up not recording my work. There's no character in this cider, bland really. I think it will perform better with nutrients.

The 2nd attempt is next, but I have to admit I'm not a big cider fan, my wife isn't impressed with the 1st attempt either. I'm flavoring it with juice to try make it enjoyable. Keg is still very full.
Purchased the 20l liquifruit earlier tonight and was thinking to use Ferm O as a nutrient for fermentis safale 04, after hydrating the yeast. My stir plate is still under construction.

From your comments however, I'm inclined to believe that you have some experience with brewing, wine perhaps?

The raw apple press was going to be the ultimate in the cider experiment before going the malted route. However, I think no 5 will be the best and am considering preservative free raisins as a natural nutrient for the yeast. Planning slice and add them to some boiled water and pitching both the raisins and cooled raisin soup water with the yeast.

The 4th attempt is off the list, I had serious doubts about it.

Mashed grains is a very natural product and the yeast is happier with it, hence the Graff as a final experiment. Hoping for more body here

Last edited by deepsouth on Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deepsouth

PreviousNext

Return to Food, Wine & Spirits