An experimental hone....... Brazilian Grey?

Reviews and Opinions on bowls, scuttles and other shaving accessories.

An experimental hone....... Brazilian Grey?

Postby JHBBlade » Sat May 13, 2017 9:16 pm

So.

The price of the Zulu Greys, the cost of shipping pieces of stone from Europe such as an Escher or Belgian Coticles all got me thinking.

So I figure to myself. Surely there are some nice pieces of slate here in South Africa that might do a job as a finishing hone.

So. Friday after work I visit the biggest tile shop that I know of, Union Tiles in Edenvale, to go and see what I can find.

What I found was a honed slate tile that looked pretty good for the job. (with hindsight I thank God that I bought a honed tile because the stuff is hard and I reckon that without the right equipment you could spend a very long time honing normal unhoned tiles flat.)

Cost of tile R144 incl Vat. 600x600.

Now I've discovered that the tile comes from Brazil. Thought it was safrican, anyhoo, it feels good, looks good.

This afternoon I mark off a 75mm strip, score it deep so that I can see the line, and start cutting with a diamond blade for cutting ceramic tiles fitted in a baby grinder, turn on the garden hose to a slow flow to avoid dust and I then have two 300 x 75 pieces.

Diamond file to take off sharp corners. Lap one plate on the other and now we'll see what they can do!

ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
JHBBlade

Re: An experimental hone....... Brazilian Grey?

Postby Thug » Sat May 13, 2017 10:00 pm

Very interesting JHB.

Will be waiting to hear the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby JHBBlade » Sat May 13, 2017 10:03 pm

Well........ All very interesting, but not much of a success. Some large particles dislodge from the stone and cause some grief. The feel of the steel on the stone gives you the feeling of both surfaces being very hard. Difficult to get the feeling of steel being abraded away without a fair amount of pressure. The interesting bit was when I placed the stone under a thin stream of water running from the tap, you get this nice "sticky" feeling across the stone even with lighter pressure. However there are parts of the stone (where is see the darker markings) where it does not feel good.

I'll have a look at the remaining tile tomorrow and see if there are areas with less of the dark markings. Honing off a natural stone is very different to the synthetic.

But for the moment, for the purpose of shaving I'm sticking with the Naniwas.

JHBBlade

Postby Thug » Sun May 14, 2017 1:24 pm

JHBBlade wrote:Well........ All very interesting, but not much of a success. Some large particles dislodge from the stone and cause some grief. The feel of the steel on the stone gives you the feeling of both surfaces being very hard. Difficult to get the feeling of steel being abraded away without a fair amount of pressure. The interesting bit was when I placed the stone under a thin stream of water running from the tap, you get this nice "sticky" feeling across the stone even with lighter pressure. However there are parts of the stone (where is see the darker markings) where it does not feel good.

I'll have a look at the remaining tile tomorrow and see if there are areas with less of the dark markings. Honing off a natural stone is very different to the synthetic.

But for the moment, for the purpose of shaving I'm sticking with the Naniwas.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's always trial and error when you try something new. If it was that simple, thousands of wet-shavers would have been using these tiles.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby JHBBlade » Sun May 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Agreed.

JHBBlade

Return to Shaving Accessories