Brush Scuttle

Reviews and Opinions on bowls, scuttles and other shaving accessories.

Brush Scuttle

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:13 am

Many of us who use bowls / soup mugs to soak our brush will know that brush never stays completely upright. Most of the time it falls sideways and only half the brush gets covered with water. The answer is a Brush Scuttle.

A brush scuttle is thinner and deeper. It's not meant for lathering. You soak your brush in the lower part , then you put in the top part when you shave. This allows to you to keep your lather filled brush warm as you shave. It gives those who prefer to face lather an opportunity experience the luxury of warm lather (that scuttle users prefer) :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Re: Brush Scuttle

Postby Riaanb » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:30 pm

I can do with one, thought about getting something similar, but never got around looking for something like that..
"Every time I go and shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving. So I say, 'I'm gonna go shave, too.'
Mitch Hedberg
Riaanb

Postby Thug » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:05 pm

As I exclusively face lather, I use one of these to soak my brush whilst showering....

CYR22GCWAAIInBc.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby Riaanb » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:12 pm

Thug wrote:As I exclusively face lather, I use one of these to soak my brush whilst showering....

CYR22GCWAAIInBc.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oo :oo :oo :oo :oo :oo oooh Thug
"Every time I go and shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving. So I say, 'I'm gonna go shave, too.'
Mitch Hedberg
Riaanb

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:21 pm

Thug wrote:As I exclusively face lather, I use one of these to soak my brush whilst showering....

CYR22GCWAAIInBc.jpg

Thats a cool 'unt' mug there Thug ! :lol: :lol:
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:43 pm

CYR22GCWAAIInBc.jpg

Your shaving brush?
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby Thug » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:42 pm

I haven't been banned yet :D
Thug

Postby admin » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:25 am

Thug wrote:I haven't been banned yet :D

:lol: Emphasis on YET!
Master Shave | The Home of Wet Shaving Enthusiasts |Links: Image Image
admin
Site Admin

Postby thetarn » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:11 pm

I use a soup mug.

Only recently tried leaving it in the basin with hot water to keep the lather warm. Wow. Warm lather feels nice!

Been keeping my eye on second hand stores for something quirky though. Want to try DIY a scuttle.

Gonna make a diy stand soon. Will post pics. :)
thetarn

Postby DAVEP » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:20 pm

CYR22GCWAAIInBc.jpg

Bwahahahaha cool mug that Thug. :lol:
DAVEP

Postby deepsouth » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:22 pm

I also face lather and never could figure out bowl lathering - but the brush scuttle looks interesting. I old the brush under hot water and create a bowl with my hands, slight squeeze and off to the races...warm lather? what is that what you speak of? :lol:

Are you stocking those RVT?
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby thetarn » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:30 pm

deepsouth wrote:I also face lather and never could figure out bowl lathering - but the brush scuttle looks interesting. I old the brush under hot water and create a bowl with my hands, slight squeeze and off to the races...warm lather? what is that what you speak of? :lol:

Are you stocking those RVT?

Warm lather. It's like spreading happiness on your face. :o::: :drool:
  1. Fill le soup mug with hot water. Plonk brush in.
  2. Wet le soap
  3. Shower le body
  4. Empty le soup mug
  5. Quick hot water refill, then empty again
  6. Pour excess off soap into mug, place mug in hot water filled basin, whip it up
  7. Put on face. Smile (before applying sharp objects)
thetarn

Postby deepsouth » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:52 pm

I'll give it a whirl, by the time I'm done with my three pass the lather on the brush is still warm 8-) Using a very efficient R41 and a sharp blade with my ever improving superfast technique , I've managed to finish my shave before the lather cools. The deliberate slow shave will benefit from a warmer than prostitutes heart lather. Fatboy, slim and straights pop to mind - they're my slow shavers. Even got the shovelhead down to a super quick shave - key is in sharp blade, aggressive razor and a rock solid technique
deepsouth

Postby thetarn » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:07 pm

deepsouth wrote:I'll give it a whirl, by the time I'm done with my three pass the lather on the brush is still warm 8-) Using a very efficient R41 and a sharp blade with my ever improving superfast technique , I've managed to finish my shave before the lather cools. The deliberate slow shave will benefit from a warmer than prostitutes heart lather. Fatboy, slim and straights pop to mind - they're my slow shavers. Even got the shovelhead down to a super quick shave - key is in sharp blade, aggressive razor and a rock solid technique

My lather is usually cold by the time I'm done whipping it up. Never mind applying it. Time for a different mug - maybe. But this works for now.
thetarn

Postby deepsouth » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:38 pm

I'm overstating things - I'm used to the "heat" of my lather, I've always shaved at the same temperature :D
deepsouth

Postby Thug » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:59 pm

These days, having purely badger and synthetic brushes, I just soak the brush under a running warm water tap for 10-15 seconds or so, squeeze out the excess and start lathering.
Thug

Postby thetarn » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:13 pm

Thug wrote:These days, having purely badger and synthetic brushes, I just soak the brush under a running warm water tap for 10-15 seconds or so, squeeze out the excess and start lathering.

Initially, I thought the idea of a scuttle (read: warm foam) seemed a bit OTT. I mean it's just foam, right? I don't think the temperature makes much difference to the quality of the shave itself. But it just feels nice, to me. Personal preference I guess.
thetarn

Postby Thug » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:08 pm

thetarn wrote:
Thug wrote:These days, having purely badger and synthetic brushes, I just soak the brush under a running warm water tap for 10-15 seconds or so, squeeze out the excess and start lathering.

Initially, I thought the idea of a scuttle (read: warm foam) seemed a bit OTT. I mean it's just foam, right? I don't think the temperature makes much difference to the quality of the shave itself. But it just feels nice, to me. Personal preference I guess.

As you say, it's personal preference.
Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:16 pm

Warm lather is great in the winter time. My scuttle doesn't get much use in the summer.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby deepsouth » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:24 pm

there must be a way to get the lather warm, without using a bain-marie type setup...
deepsouth

Next

Return to Shaving Accessories