Brush Scuttle

Reviews and Opinions on bowls, scuttles and other shaving accessories.

Re: Brush Scuttle

Postby thetarn » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:51 pm

deepsouth wrote:there must be a way to get the lather warm, without using a bain-marie type setup...

I initially thought of some kind of special ceramic that retains heat well. Like my soup mug, just better looking haha

I always preheated the mug - but it doesn't compare to floating it in the basin.
thetarn

Postby danilo » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:39 pm

Nice idea on those mugs!
danilo

Postby BLES » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:52 am

All I can say is relax my friend and enjoy the journey. :lol: :lol: The majority of us went through the same what you are currently experiencing. I even burned my face at some stage with a towel which was over heated in a microwave for too long… :think:

I have shaved with both warm and cold later and honestly it does not make a difference here in South Africa. You will note that most of the information one can find on wet shaving on the internet is from the US and European countries which have some extreme cold winter seasons compared to our African environment. I suppose if I was living in one of those countries and having to shave on an early winter morning I would also prefer to smack some warm lather on my face. We here in Africa can nail a mirror to a tree and enjoy a refreshing shave in the bush with some cold water which you won’t do easily in those countries. So what I’m trying to say is that you shouldn’t rush into a bee nest and spend a lot of money on something that you would probably not been using after a month or two. Most of us here when starting out wet shaving bought anything shaving related we could get our grubby little fingers on only to find it laying in a storage container now.

Having a shaving mug/scuttle is maybe more convenient than a shaving bowl simply because you get a handle that you can hold the mug with and if you plan on mixing your shaving lather in the morning it will come handy to lather it in.

Here in Africa one should not be afraid to smack on cold shaving lather on your face as this is leeu wêreld… :twisted:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby jegreen » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:40 pm

A scuttle looks great to use, but I suspect that it will probably end up falling onto the ground! Reading up a bit shows that the vintage scuttles were just really for holding the soap and soaking the brush, therefore still requiring a separate lathering bowl or only for face lathering. The modern ones have changed to containing the shaving bowl and keeping the lather warm. Looking at some pictures it gives a bit of food for though on how you would design the ultimate lathering gear. Scuttles are complex, but even the humble shaving mug can be quite artistic!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jegreen

Postby deepsouth » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:19 pm

Those are neat, I face lather exclusively - too stupid to figure out scuttle lathering ;-) also I drop things often...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Previous

Return to Shaving Accessories