Shaving Bowls / Scuttles

Reviews and Opinions on bowls, scuttles and other shaving accessories.

Shaving Bowls / Scuttles

Postby Jacquers » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:18 am

Up till now I've just been using a plain old plastic bowl for lathering, but I wanted something a bit nicer. Yesterday I got one of MasterShave's red ceramic bowls. It feels a bit small compared to what I'm used to, but works and all the lather stayed inside the bowl. With the bigger bowls the lather spreads out over a larger area inside the bowl and I think you actually need to use more cream / soap, but they do give you more room for maneuvering the brush. Just need to adapt my technique.

The handle is a nice touch, perhaps a must have for a ceramic bowl and hopefully it will keep me from dropping it as I've done with the plastic bowl. Ridges inside would be an added bonus, but overall this is a nice stylish bowl to have :thumbup:
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Re: Shaving Bowls / Scuttles

Postby Chrisvo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:57 am

Well, I have absolutely been loving my scuttle. Well made, just the right size, produces great lather and keeps the lather at a nice warm temperature for each pass.
Chrisvo

Postby admin » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:08 pm

Jacquers wrote:Up till now I've just been using a plain old plastic bowl for lathering, but I wanted something a bit nicer. Yesterday I got one of MasterShave's red ceramic bowls. It feels a bit small compared to what I'm used to, but works and all the lather stayed inside the bowl. With the bigger bowls the lather spreads out over a larger area inside the bowl and I think you actually need to use more cream / soap, but they do give you more room for maneuvering the brush. Just need to adapt my technique.

The handle is a nice touch, perhaps a must have for a ceramic bowl and hopefully it will keep me from dropping it as I've done with the plastic bowl. Ridges inside would be an added bonus, but overall this is a nice stylish bowl to have :thumbup:

Thank you Jacques, the handle has saved me a few times from drops and we agree, next batch will have some ridges to help the lather build :thumbup:
Master Shave | The Home of Wet Shaving Enthusiasts |Links: Image Image
admin
Site Admin

Postby Jacquers » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:08 pm

Thats the one from RVT, right?

I feel a possible shaving bowl acquisition disorder coming on :P
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby Jacquers » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:10 pm

admin wrote:
Jacquers wrote:Up till now I've just been using a plain old plastic bowl for lathering, but I wanted something a bit nicer. Yesterday I got one of MasterShave's red ceramic bowls. It feels a bit small compared to what I'm used to, but works and all the lather stayed inside the bowl. With the bigger bowls the lather spreads out over a larger area inside the bowl and I think you actually need to use more cream / soap, but they do give you more room for maneuvering the brush. Just need to adapt my technique.

Thank you Jacques, the handle has saved me a few times from drops and we agree, next batch will have some ridges to help the lather build :thumbup:

:thumbup: that means I'll have to buy another one :) Maybe a 2nd larger / wider size option as well? Although, with the added ridges it might not be necessary.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby Jacquers » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:58 am

I'm going to have to revise my initial review after doing some more testing and comparing to my old bowl. The size of the new bowl is actually fine, I just needed to get used to it. The smaller size 'concentrates' the lather instead of spreading it out all over the sides of the bowl. Another benefit is that the brush can't fall into the bowl anymore :) It's also a slight drawback as I used to submerse the brush in the bowl to rinse it afterwards, which I can't do with the smaller bowl, but thats a minor issue. The new bowl also looks the part - it doesn't look like a lost kitchen bowl. I'm assuming it's hand crafted - if so it's very well done, nice and smooth. Looking forward to the improved model w ridges, and maybe some other colour options :)

Shave Bowls.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby admin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:23 am

Jacquers wrote:I'm going to have to revise my initial review after doing some more testing and comparing to my old bowl. The size of the new bowl is actually fine, I just needed to get used to it. The smaller size 'concentrates' the lather instead of spreading it out all over the sides of the bowl. Another benefit is that the brush can't fall into the bowl anymore :) It's also a slight drawback as I used to submerse the brush in the bowl to rinse it afterwards, which I can't do with the smaller bowl, but thats a minor issue. The new bowl also looks the part - it doesn't look like a lost kitchen bowl. I'm assuming it's hand crafted - if so it's very well done, nice and smooth. Looking forward to the improved model w ridges, and maybe some other colour options :)

Jacques, again thank-you for the in-depth review and comparative lather test. We have already engaged with our local potter on this subject and will be doing a few 'prototypes' taking into account all the feedback received thus far.

Colour options?...Most definitely! Once the design is perfected we would like to offer the community custom options with regards to colour, design etc whereby an order can be placed and their own unique scuttle / bowl can be made up ;)
admin
Site Admin

Postby Jacquers » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:27 am

:) :thumbup:
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby AndreV » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:16 am

Nice review Jacquers.
I have the same little red bowl and I must say it does the job very well.
The only down side as you mentioned is soaking the brush, but then one day I found a hidden secret.

It was winter and i just read about the scuttles RVT got and how the warmer bottom makes the lather creamier.
So i filled the basin with boiling how water and submerged my little red bowl and brush in that warm water.
After my shower, i took the bowl out, and proceeded lathering in the hot bowl (had to hold it with a towel not to burn my hands) and the lather came out the best if ever seen it. Didn't even know heat could make such a difference.
The bowl held the heat quite well as it was still nice and hot on the second pass.

It's a bit of a mission so have only done it 3/4 times but worth it IMHO
Shaving like it should be done!!
AndreV

Postby Jacquers » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:19 am

I'm a cold water shaver, but I'll definitely try and see what difference using warm water will make. Thx
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby Vintage1973 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:46 pm

admin wrote:
Jacquers wrote:I'm going to have to revise my initial review after doing some more testing and comparing to my old bowl. The size of the new bowl is actually fine, I just needed to get used to it. The smaller size 'concentrates' the lather instead of spreading it out all over the sides of the bowl. Another benefit is that the brush can't fall into the bowl anymore :) It's also a slight drawback as I used to submerse the brush in the bowl to rinse it afterwards, which I can't do with the smaller bowl, but thats a minor issue. The new bowl also looks the part - it doesn't look like a lost kitchen bowl. I'm assuming it's hand crafted - if so it's very well done, nice and smooth. Looking forward to the improved model w ridges, and maybe some other colour options :)

Jacques, again thank-you for the in-depth review and comparative lather test. We have already engaged with our local potter on this subject and will be doing a few 'prototypes' taking into account all the feedback received thus far.

Colour options?...Most definitely! Once the design is perfected we would like to offer the community custom options with regards to colour, design etc whereby an order can be placed and their own unique scuttle / bowl can be made up ;)

Guys, it is a great idea to provide options to customise! Personally, I find most scuttles a bit on the small side, to properly agitate the lather. Tried my little Mühle lathering dish with the Zenith Pro...nuff said!

Please keep us posted.

Stay Sharp
Vintage1973

Postby BLES » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:12 am

IMHO the best shaving bowl I ever used is the old spice shaving mug. The ridges on the side at the bottom which was originally made to keep the soap puck in place is a great asset to create a bad ass lather....the only down side is I must lather on the porch otherwise I'll wake-up my wife with the ting-ting noise the handle make against the inside wall of the mug when I stir my brush. :oo
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:54 am

BLES wrote:IMHO the best shaving bowl I ever used is the old spice shaving mug. The ridges on the side at the bottom which was originally made to keep the soap puck in place is a great asset to create a bad ass lather....the only down side is I must lather on the porch otherwise I'll wake-up my wife with the ting-ting noise the handle make against the inside wall of the mug when I stir my brush. :oo

Yess! The old spice mugs are famous for 'brush-knock' :) When you heard the knocking sound it was time to replace the puck :)
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:22 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:
BLES wrote:IMHO the best shaving bowl I ever used is the old spice shaving mug. The ridges on the side at the bottom which was originally made to keep the soap puck in place is a great asset to create a bad ass lather....the only down side is I must lather on the porch otherwise I'll wake-up my wife with the ting-ting noise the handle make against the inside wall of the mug when I stir my brush. :oo

Yess! The old spice mugs are famous for 'brush-knock' :) When you heard the knocking sound it was time to replace the puck :)

Ahhhhh there's the word I was looking for..."brush-knock". Thanks RVT. :thumbup:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:44 am

Hi all,

Had a request from a fellow shaver who is on the hunt for a bowl like this. Please keep an eye an out, and let me know if you come across something similar. I have come across this style of bowl but much smaller than the one in the picture. (more for barbers use).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Jacquers » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:52 pm

Looks like a sugar bowl :)
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:04 pm

Jacquers wrote:Looks like a sugar bowl :)

Quite a cool bowl because the stand at the bottom allows good grip for lathering.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby admin » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:11 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Hi all,

Had a request from a fellow shaver who is on the hunt for a bowl like this. Please keep an eye an out, and let me know if you come across something similar. I have come across this style of bowl but much smaller than the one in the picture. (more for barbers use).

Will most certainly keep an eye out RVT- I have seen a bowl similar to this, just need to remember where I saw it :shifty:
admin
Site Admin

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:45 am

admin wrote:
RiverValleyTrading wrote:Hi all,

Will most certainly keep an eye out RVT- I have seen a bowl similar to this, just need to remember where I saw it :shifty:

Cool, thanks very much :thumbup:
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Return to Shaving Accessories