Introduction

New to the Master Shave forum? Drop in, say hello and introduce yourself.

Introduction

Postby KnifeOfWar » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:57 pm

Hi guys

My name is Stephan.

I have been wet shaving with a shavette for about 6 years. Have never stepped it up to a proper straight due to not having tried to hone one yet, and seeing that proper stones cost more than custom razors!

Planning on getting two oldies I've bought restored soon.

But first, safety razor.

Where do I start?

Do I NEED an adjustable? To figure out which setting I prefer? (I think I NEED a razor with which I can fiddle with unnecessarily:) )

Do I just get an aggressive and be done with it?

I mostly only do a single pass when shaving anyway. I don't have a sensitive skin, and I am only removing my neck beard cleaning the cheecks, haven't full shaved for years.

I have my eye on a Merkur 37C at the moment.

I would like to only buy and cry once, but I feel razors are like my firearms and pocket knives where the ideal number to own is "n+1"

Any reason for me not to pick up the 37C?

Regards

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
KnifeOfWar

Re: Introduction

Postby dappershaves » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:22 pm

Hi Stephan,

Welcome and thank you for the introduction. You’ve been wetshaving for a good few years now and should have some established preferences, stick to what you know and the rest will fall into place.

Wrt to which safety razor you should get I unfortunately cant help. You don’t have sensitive skin so any quality razor will work. Adjustables are nice but once dailed in there’s nothing else to do unless you enjoy tinkering. Gillette vintage razors are very good quality and so are most modern razors. I suggest going for what catches your eye first, forget about shave reviews or user biased recommendations. All quality razors will give you a good shave. I assume you already have settled on what DE blades work best for your beard, so just wash and repeat.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

Regards Jacques
dappershaves

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:38 pm

KnifeOfWar wrote:Hi guys

My name is Stephan.

I have been wet shaving with a shavette for about 6 years. Have never stepped it up to a proper straight due to not having tried to hone one yet, and seeing that proper stones cost more than custom razors!

Planning on getting two oldies I've bought restored soon.

But first, safety razor.

Where do I start?

Do I NEED an adjustable? To figure out which setting I prefer? (I think I NEED a razor with which I can fiddle with unnecessarily:) )

Do I just get an aggressive and be done with it?

I mostly only do a single pass when shaving anyway. I don't have a sensitive skin, and I am only removing my neck beard cleaning the cheecks, haven't full shaved for years.

I have my eye on a Merkur 37C at the moment.

I would like to only buy and cry once, but I feel razors are like my firearms and pocket knives where the ideal number to own is "n+1"

Any reason for me not to pick up the 37C?

Regards

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hi there Stephan,

Welcome aboard. Alwyas nice to meet a fellow shaving enthusiast.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the shavette. You will certainly notice the difference when you switch to the straight razor. The edge honed by hand feels very different to the machine ground blade edge of the shavette.

Regarding a choice of safety razor, since you are already using a shavette, your skin is used to the feel of the blade. I would recommend a Muhle R41, or perhaps the Fatip open comb.. The merkur 37C slant is a good option as well.

Regarding Adjustable: It is not a must, but as mentioned, once you find the setting that works best for you, then it normally stays there.
Have a look through all the advice, and tips here onthe forum. You will find it a big help.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby dini » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:06 pm

Welcome Stephan.

And yes you are correct, the answer is always n+1, whether it be razors or brushes :lol:
dini

Postby KnifeOfWar » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:16 pm

First Shave with my first proper DE razor.

A 1956 U.S. made Red Tip

Quite happy with it!

Previous owners photos did a good job of making the plating seem in better condition :roll:

But being 65-years old I am still happy with it. :o::

I will be collecting my 2 straights tomorrow, looking forward to that too. :sr1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KnifeOfWar

Postby Clouds » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:55 pm

Welcome Stephan
Clouds

Return to Introductions