2ml Pimenta Racemosa essential oil
0,5ml Vetiver essential oil
0,5ml Lavender essential oil
1 teaspoon pink peppercorns
4 dried cloves
4 Pimento berries
1 rind of Clemengold
1 cinnamon stick

Now the long steep awaits...the scent right now is pretty good. Looking forward to the end result and a mentholated version of the above (summer is coming)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Re: Homebrew Bay Rum

Postby Thug » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:57 pm

deepsouth wrote:Made my own today
250 ml Bacardi White
125 ml Wyborowa Wodka
63 ml Witch hazel
63 ml Spiced gold
4 dried cloves
4 Pimento berries
1 rind of Clemengold
1 cinnamon stick

Now the long steep awaits...the scent right now is pretty good. Looking forward to the end result and a mentholated version of the above (summer is coming)

Sounds great DS

Well at least if it doesn't work out as aftershave, you can mix it with coke.
Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:47 am

Nice one DS. Sounds like that home distillery is coming along just fine :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby deepsouth » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:38 am

Cheers gents,

I loosely based this brew on a recipe found online, but added some vetiver,lavender and pink peppercorns instead of black plus a splosh of witch hazel.
I don't care for rum as a drink, too sweet. Haven't had a coke or any fizzy drinks in years, tend to stick to homemade iced coffee or tea, that way you can control the sugar ( I dislike sugar )
deepsouth

Postby Mikaar » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:14 pm

250 ml Bacardi White
125 ml Wyborowa Wodka
63 ml Witch hazel
63 ml Spiced gold
4 dried cloves
4 Pimento berries
1 rind of Clemengold
1 cinnamon stick

Very nice recipe Deepsouth. Sounds like it'll smell good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikaar

Postby c4Chucky » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:37 am

Neat! I'd love to hear how it turned out.
When I saw the Bay Rum fragrances, I wasn't expecting they use actual rum for it.
Haha! You learn something every day.

I don't really like alcohol aftershaves, because of the drying effect it can have, so I made one using witch hazel instead.
The main ingredients are Witchhazel, Aloe and Jojoba with some essential oils by taste. My favourite at the moment is Lemon and Lavender, but I also enjoy a Patchouli and Peppermint mix.

I thought I'd be different and try something entirely new and used Ylang-ylang and Grapefruit, but that one was annexed by my wife. :) Kind of smelled like bubblegum.
Shave Awesome!

www.razorrebel.co.za
c4Chucky

Postby dini » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:05 pm

That looks almost good enough to enjoy as a friday sundowner . :mrgreen:

Let us know how it turns out , DS
dini

Postby BLES » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:37 pm

250 ml Bacardi White
125 ml Wyborowa Wodka
63 ml Witch hazel
63 ml Spiced gold
4 dried cloves
4 Pimento berries
1 rind of Clemengold
1 cinnamon stick

Sounds interesting DS. :thumbup: And you say it is a bay rum? :hmmm There is a lot going on in that brew... :surprised I'm pulling a chair closer to keep an eye on this brew... :popcorn :D
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby BLES » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:39 pm

c4Chucky wrote:Neat! I'd love to hear how it turned out.
When I saw the Bay Rum fragrances, I wasn't expecting they use actual rum for it.

I don't really like alcohol aftershaves, because of the drying effect it can have, so I made one using witch hazel instead.
The main ingredients are Witchhazel, Aloe and Jojoba with some essential oils by taste. My favourite at the moment is Lemon and Lavender, but I also enjoy a Patchouli and Peppermint mix.

I thought I'd be different and try something entirely new and used Ylang-ylang and Grapefruit, but that one was annexed by my wife. :) Kind of smelled like bubblegum.

The original Bay Rum was a single distilled product, created in the Virgin Islands. The largest producer of Bay Rum is still based there, on Saint Thomas.

Traditionally the islanders would use an oil made from the leaves of the bay tree as a cooling treatment for aching joints, muscle pain, to relieve heat and massage into the skin and scalps. The islanders started to mix the oil with Rum or water.

Whilst it was popular throughout the Caribbean and America, it was only popularised throughout Europe following Danish chemist A. H. Riise’s creation of a double distilled Bay Rum. The fragrance became more sophisticated due to the addition of citrus oils and spices such as clove, cardamom and cinnamon. Bay Rum has since become a grooming staple, found in barber shops and bathroom cabinets across the world and is still used today to leave the hair shiny.
As for Witch Hazel it is defined as a clear, colorless distillate prepared from recently cut and partially dried dormant twigs of Hamamelis virginiana Linné,” containing natural oils and 14% Alcohol. It is prepared through a specific closed distillation process and contain 86% witch hazel distillate from the bark and twigs of Hamamelis virginiana Linné and 14% pure ethyl alcohol only.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby deepsouth » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:53 pm

any takers for some official St Thomas Bay rum?
https://stjohnsbayrum.com/collections/b ... =218462532

the homebrew is coming along nicely - deep sniff gets you some lavender, vetiver and of course the bay, hints of everything else too - i particularly like the clemengold in there which is turning a bit milky as the only fresh ingredient
deepsouth

Postby Mikaar » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:35 pm

deepsouth wrote:any takers for some official St Thomas Bay rum?
https://stjohnsbayrum.com/collections/b ... =218462532

the homebrew is coming along nicely - deep sniff gets you some lavender, vetiver and of course the bay, hints of everything else too - i particularly like the clemengold in there which is turning a bit milky as the only fresh ingredient

How is it possible that they offer international shipping, while other sites don't? I thought there was some restriction on aftershaves with alcohol

Mikaar

Postby c4Chucky » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:01 am

BLES wrote:

The original Bay Rum was a single distilled product, created in the Virgin Islands. The largest producer of Bay Rum is still based there, on Saint Thomas.

Traditionally the islanders would use an oil made from the leaves of the bay tree as a cooling treatment for aching joints, muscle pain, to relieve heat and massage into the skin and scalps. The islanders started to mix the oil with Rum or water.

Whilst it was popular throughout the Caribbean and America, it was only popularised throughout Europe following Danish chemist A. H. Riise’s creation of a double distilled Bay Rum. The fragrance became more sophisticated due to the addition of citrus oils and spices such as clove, cardamom and cinnamon. Bay Rum has since become a grooming staple, found in barber shops and bathroom cabinets across the world and is still used today to leave the hair shiny.
As for Witch Hazel it is defined as a clear, colorless distillate prepared from recently cut and partially dried dormant twigs of Hamamelis virginiana Linné,” containing natural oils and 14% Alcohol. It is prepared through a specific closed distillation process and contain 86% witch hazel distillate from the bark and twigs of Hamamelis virginiana Linné and 14% pure ethyl alcohol only.

Thanks for the update BLES. Didn't mean to come across as ignorant. I was aware that Witch Hazel contains alcohol. There is apparently one that is alcohol-free, but hey 14% shouldn't dry out your skin too much. And witch hazel is known to be a natural astringent.

I have heard some different opinions. Would you say you prefer the sting of an alcohol aftershave, or rather a soothing balm?
Shave Awesome!

www.razorrebel.co.za
c4Chucky

Postby deepsouth » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:21 am

c4Chucky wrote:
BLES wrote:

Thanks for the update BLES. Didn't mean to come across as ignorant. I was aware that Witch Hazel contains alcohol. There is apparently one that is alcohol-free, but hey 14% shouldn't dry out your skin too much. And witch hazel is known to be a natural astringent.

I have heard some different opinions. Would you say you prefer the sting of an alcohol aftershave, or rather a soothing balm?

Chucky, can't speak for Bles - but he's not thin skinned, he's a trove of information and makes a killer Oom Bles Bay Rum himself ( I reckon that should go to market - it's that good)

I gravitate towards the alcohol based stuff myself, balms are great, but must not leave you feeling oily - I detest that (OCD rearing) I'm near the coast and don't dry out like you okes in the highveld either. For another excellent local balm try Earthsaps East India Island and Simply Bees aftershave balm
deepsouth

Postby BLES » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:23 pm

deepsouth wrote:
Chucky, can't speak for Bles - but he's not thin skinned, he's a trove of information and makes a killer Oom Bles Bay Rum himself ( I reckon that should go to market - it's that good)

:oops: ...ou groot mond :lol: :lol:
BLES

Postby BLES » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:24 pm

Don’t sweat Chuckles. No arrogance detected from your side. :lol: :lol:

Yes witch hazel does come in an alcohol free version as well. The thing is sometimes we are uninformed and then we make our decisions accordingly. When it comes to witch hazel you need to be careful about how you get it. Most of us are familiar with witch hazel brands we found in the first aid aisles of a drugstore alongside rubbing alcohol. Which hazel is such a cheap household commodity that it is produced by private label. Therefor the only true difference between the witch hazel we found at the local drugstores is the drugstore’s name which is the “brand name” on the bottle. One needs to exercise caution with witch hazel sold by drugstores. These contain 14-30% alcohol (ethanol) which is drying and disruptive to the skin’s barrier function unless you have an oily skin for which witch hazel will help to reduce the oil. So using these drugstore witch hazel brands on an occasion isn’t a big deal but putting this over your face every day would be disastrous. To come back to alcohol-free witch hazel the Thayers brand make some alcohol-free versions such as Rose Petal and Lavender which I doubt you will get easily locally.

Sorry for hi-jacking your bay-rum post DS… Will it be possible to send me a courier for next week? I poured you a bottle of my new batch as well as something I specially brewed for you I think you might like. ;)
BLES

Postby deepsouth » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:42 pm

If you are willing to hang back for a couple of weeks, I'll send you a bottle of mine too - I need a critical nose and mombakkies to review it :lol:
deepsouth

Postby c4Chucky » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:19 pm

BLES wrote:Don’t sweat Chuckles. No arrogance detected from your side. :lol: :lol:

Yes witch hazel does come in an alcohol free version as well. The thing is sometimes we are uninformed and then we make our decisions accordingly. When it comes to witch hazel you need to be careful about how you get it. Most of us are familiar with witch hazel brands we found in the first aid aisles of a drugstore alongside rubbing alcohol. Which hazel is such a cheap household commodity that it is produced by private label. Therefor the only true difference between the witch hazel we found at the local drugstores is the drugstore’s name which is the “brand name” on the bottle. One needs to exercise caution with witch hazel sold by drugstores. These contain 14-30% alcohol (ethanol) which is drying and disruptive to the skin’s barrier function unless you have an oily skin for which witch hazel will help to reduce the oil. So using these drugstore witch hazel brands on an occasion isn’t a big deal but putting this over your face every day would be disastrous. To come back to alcohol-free witch hazel the Thayers brand make some alcohol-free versions such as Rose Petal and Lavender which I doubt you will get easily locally.

Sorry for hi-jacking your bay-rum post DS… Will it be possible to send me a courier for next week? I poured you a bottle of my new batch as well as something I specially brewed for you I think you might like. ;)

That is good info. I think I'm gonna learn lots here.
I actually order my witch hazel in bulk from a supplier in Kwa-Zulu Natal. That's also where I get my oils and soaping ingredients. I have researched my sources, so I am confident that it is of the highest quality. I am not 100% certain of the alcohol content though. Will have to confirm that. It does have quite a strong smell though. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. I add some essential oils to get over the smell and for the benefits of course. Lemon-Lavender has been the favourite so far, but I have had success with Patchouli and Peppermint as well.
Shave Awesome!

www.razorrebel.co.za
c4Chucky

Postby BLES » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:14 am

deepsouth wrote:If you are willing to hang back for a couple of weeks, I'll send you a bottle of mine too - I need a critical nose and mombakkies to review it :lol:

I'll hang back. :D
BLES

Postby deepsouth » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:36 pm

Meant to post this a few days ago, looking good, smelling great
ImageImage

deepsouth

Postby Mikaar » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:00 pm

deepsouth wrote:Meant to post this a few days ago, looking good, smelling great
ImageImage

That looks good Deepsouth, I'm surprised the cinnamon stick didn't make it darker though

Mikaar

Next

Return to Aftershaves