DIY Bay Rum Aftershave Recipes

Ending off a fine shave.

Re: DIY Bay Rum Aftershave Recipes

Postby panthera » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:27 pm

Thug wrote:All righty then, Bay Rum aftershave is now ready to do duty.

I followed the recipe I posted earlier in this thread, with the exception being I used vanilla essence instead of vanilla extract. (Is there a difference? :? ). I also put the vanilla into the pot to simmer instead of after with the essential oils. Should't have made too much of a difference.

So.. after stewing in a dark cupboard for 6 days.
IMG_0852.JPG

After being filtered through a coffee filter
IMG_0854.JPG

Essential Oils and Glygerin
IMG_0853.JPG

Mixed and bottled.
IMG_0855.JPG

Haven't used it yet, so after tomorrow's shave, I'll see how it performs and what it smells like. Then if I'm happy with the result, I'll try it during the week for work. :lol:

Looking forward to the report, looks good :thumbup: .
panthera

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:15 pm

Thug wrote:All righty then, Bay Rum aftershave is now ready to do duty.

I followed the recipe I posted earlier in this thread, with the exception being I used vanilla essence instead of vanilla extract. (Is there a difference? :? ). I also put the vanilla into the pot to simmer instead of after with the essential oils. Should't have made too much of a difference.

So.. after stewing in a dark cupboard for 6 days.
IMG_0852.JPG

After being filtered through a coffee filter
IMG_0854.JPG

Essential Oils and Glygerin
IMG_0853.JPG

Mixed and bottled.
IMG_0855.JPG

Haven't used it yet, so after tomorrow's shave, I'll see how it performs and what it smells like. Then if I'm happy with the result, I'll try it during the week for work. :lol:

Good luck Thug. :D
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby HenkB » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:10 pm

So how did it go Thug?

Wasit good, or do it need some tweaking?

Managed to find an awesome shop in Doringkloof mall today, The Healthy Alternative. They stock all of the necessary oils. Just ordered my Bay (WI) Essential Oil, it will be there next Thursday. Cant wait to begin experimenting.
HenkB

Postby Thug » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi Henk,

I posted this in the SOTD thread on Sunday

My initial impressions of my home brewed Bay Rum AS is that it is a rather nice scent, a hint of lime & cloves at the top end but it could do with a bit more Witch Hazel. Overall, I'm happy with the outcome.

My comment about the Witch Hazel was because there was no "burn" but panthera then said..

When I make my homemade AS Witch Hazel actually mutes the burn. I'm not sure if I have an odd witch hazel or not or if that is the norm. I use vodka as the base for my current AS with witch hazel and it doesn't burn a huge amount really, I don't think the alcohol is strong enough. Apparently decent burn comes from high proof stuff like Everclear but I'm not sure if that is sourceable in SA.

As I used the cheapest white rum I could find, that is probably the cause or the lack thereof of the "burn"

But irrespective, my daughter approves of the smell, so that has to be good news. :lol:
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby HenkB » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:49 pm

Thanks Thug.

Looks like I would need to get some mampoer and use that as an AS base, that should be enough burn!
HenkB

Postby Vintage1973 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:04 pm

HenkB wrote:Thanks Thug.

Looks like I would need to get some mampoer and use that as an AS base, that should be enough burn!

Daai bek kort jêm...someone got a still? I would gladly take some mampoer off your hands... :drool:
Vintage1973

Postby HenkB » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:30 am

Or lets just wait for the fees at Willem Prinsloo site, there they sell a lot of mampoer.
HenkB

Postby Thug » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:58 am

So I used Thug's Bay Rum AS again this morning and I must admit that I miss the "burn".

Anyway, I have quite a bit of Dischem's Witch Hazel left over, so I dabbed some of that onto my face as well, to see if I needed to add some more to my AS. Imagine my surprise when there was no burn either.

I was mistakenly under the impression that the "burn" comes from the astringent but obviously not.

:o
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Previous

Return to Aftershaves