TALC POWDER

Ending off a fine shave.

TALC POWDER

Postby BLES » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:10 am

Accept for Johnson & Johnson's baby powder do you know where one can find unscented or a manly scented talc powder? I see Paco Rabanne and TOBS and Clubmans have some lovely talc powder but what is the chance finding it locally. :think: I want to take my shaving a step further after reading a shaving book dated from 1906. :D
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Re: TALC POWDER

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:29 am

BLES wrote:Accept for Johnson & Johnson's baby powder do you know where one can find unscented or a manly scented talc powder? I see Paco Rabanne and TOBS and Clubmans have some lovely talc powder but what is the chance finding it locally. :think: I want to take my shaving a step further after reading a shaving book dated from 1906. :D

I'll keep an eye out for you BLES. Our suppliers keep some stock of Talcum powder used in the barber shops.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:50 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:
BLES wrote:Accept for Johnson & Johnson's baby powder do you know where one can find unscented or a manly scented talc powder? I see Paco Rabanne and TOBS and Clubmans have some lovely talc powder but what is the chance finding it locally. :think: I want to take my shaving a step further after reading a shaving book dated from 1906. :D

I'll keep an eye out for you BLES. Our suppliers keep some stock of Talcum powder used in the barber shops.

Now that can work! Thanks RVT :D :thumbup:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby Riaanb » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:55 pm

Here is one Bles, not sure how this smells...

https://clicks.co.za/dx-smooth_cologne- ... g/p/249899
"Every time I go and shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving. So I say, 'I'm gonna go shave, too.'
Mitch Hedberg
Riaanb

Postby BLES » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:27 pm

Riaanb wrote:Here is one Bles, not sure how this smells...

https://clicks.co.za/dx-smooth_cologne- ... g/p/249899

Thanks Riaan :D :thumbup: :clap:
BLES

Postby BLES » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:30 pm

Riaan, I got hold of a bottle DX Smooth Refresh Cologne Talc at the local Clicks. R29 for a 200g bottle. It got a nice fresh clean subtle scent. I'll give it a go with tomorrow’s shave. At least I now have some good use for my Dischem Badger brush....a talc brush. :D :lol: :lol:
BLES

Postby Riaanb » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:00 pm

BLES wrote:Riaan, I got hold of a bottle DX Smooth Refresh Cologne Talc at the local Clicks. R29 for a 200g bottle. It got a nice fresh clean subtle scent. I'll give it a go with tomorrow’s shave. At least I now have some good use for my Dischem Badger brush....a talc brush. :D :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :oo :oo die brush....glad you got some and like it, what are you using it for? as a post shave?
"Every time I go and shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving. So I say, 'I'm gonna go shave, too.'
Mitch Hedberg
Riaanb

Postby Riaanb » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:47 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Imperial-Leathe ... B001RYWECU

this is you can get at Dischem Bles...
Mitch Hedberg
Riaanb

Postby JHBBlade » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:53 pm

Now Bles,
I'd heard of ladies "powdering their noses"...
but gents "powdering their chins"

Interesting.......
JHBBlade

Postby BLES » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:39 am

Riaanb wrote:
:lol: :lol: :oo :oo die brush....glad you got some and like it, what are you using it for? as a post shave?

Yes Riaan, one uses it as a post shave. I tried it this morning for the first time and it felt as if a touch of luxury was added to my shaving routine. The talc’s purpose is actually to absorb moisture around the collar area to prevent scuffing and irritation especially when wearing a tie.
This is how I used it this morning. After my shaving routine and splashing on some bay rum I dashed a small quantity of talc powder into my old spice mug and used the brush to apply around the neck area.

Riaanb wrote:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Imperial-Leather-Original-Talcum-Powder/dp/B001RYWECU
this is you can get at Dischem Bles...

Wow, thank Riaan. Imperial leather sounds awesome. This might work great together with Tabac and English Leather. I’ll definitely be on the look-out for it. :thumbup: :D

JHBBlade wrote:Now Bles,
I'd heard of ladies "powdering their noses"...
but gents "powdering their chins
Interesting.......

Now I wonder where you heard that… :think: :shock:

A quote from the book “Shaving Made Easy” published in 1906 -

“Most men who shave themselves seem
to think that when they have removed
the beard, they have nothing further to
do. This is a great mistake. They undervalue
the importance of a proper
treatment of the face. A quick and easy
way of caring for the face after shaving,
is to remove the lather by a thorough
washing, then to apply either witch hazel,
bay rum or some other good face lotion,
and to follow this with a small quantity
of talcum powder, evenly applied. This
is probably about all that the average
man will usually find time to do.”
BLES

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:53 pm

HI all,

Picked up a few talc samples from one of our suppliers . I have chosen four for testing. There a couple more that m brother took (More one those later)

The brand is called TouchMe. All made in Pakistan, and widely used by the barbers.

IMG_20160404_203314.jpg

Some interesting scents.

Gold: STRONG! Wow! :OOO This talc powder has a very strong scent. Kind of like incense. Don't use too much!
VIP: Nice cologne type scent, I like the scent on this one.
Blue Diamond: A strange scent for me. A bit light. hard to describe.
Italian summer: The best of them all for me. A bit flowery, but not to much.

The thing to remember with talcum powder is that it absorbs moisture. And in hotter / humid climates they would work very well. However, some might find them a bit drying. Does leave the skin ultra smooth.

My brother has two more with him - one is called Black Cat (this is famous with the barbers), and the other is called Tibet Snow (made y the same company, but smells nothing like cream :oo )

Anyway, since BLES started mentioning talc, I remembered I had some Pinaud Clubman talc kept away somewhere. Found it after much searching...

IMG_20160404_203355.jpg

About half left. I can't quite recall why i put this away. I remember taking it on a trip and I must have forgot to put it back with my shave stuff when we returned. :think:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Riaanb » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:02 pm

Very nice and interesting Talc Powder RVT :thumbup: :clap:
Mitch Hedberg
Riaanb

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:11 pm

Riaanb wrote:Very nice and interesting Talc Powder RVT :thumbup: :clap:

Thanks Riaan. :D
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:45 am

Great stuff RVT. :clap: :clap: I think the VIP is calling my name.... :D BTW, thanks for rubbing the Pinaud under my noise... :mrgreen:
BLES

Return to Aftershaves