Witch Hazel Supply?

Ending off a fine shave.

Witch Hazel Supply?

Postby JHBBlade » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:42 pm

I'm looking for just plain Witch Hazel.

The closest I can find is Dischem Witch Hazel and Rose Water.

Does anyone know a source of plain Witch Hazel? I refuse to import from foreign lands, and will brew my own if necessary from the herb, but would prefer to avoid the hassle of either of those options.

Am toying with the idea of brewing Thug Rum AS[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
JHBBlade

Re: Witch Hazel Supply?

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:43 pm

JHBBlade wrote:I'm looking for just plain Witch Hazel.

The closest I can find is Dischem Witch Hazel and Rose Water.

Does anyone know a source of plain Witch Hazel? I refuse to import from foreign lands, and will brew my own if necessary from the herb, but would prefer to avoid the hassle of either of those options.

Am toying with the idea of brewing Thug Rum AS[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

Checkers sell their own Medi-rite brand of witch hazel. It works quite well.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Thug » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:54 pm

I got & used the Dischem version for my AS.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby JHBBlade » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:30 pm

Magic! Thanks for the help Thug & River.

JHBBlade

Postby Mikaar » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:13 pm

I’m sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I also find myself in this situation.

I have had the Dischem witch hazel in the little brown plastic bottle for a while now and I’m not happy with it’s performance. I don’t think it’s working as well as it’s supposed to, and that it may be alcohol free.

I also noticed little white crystals floating around in mine, so I’m thinking the alcohol in it may have evaporated and the witch hazel was precipitated out.

Can anyone suggest any other brands of witch hazel available in SA? I see RVT spoke about the checkers brand but I haven’t seen that at any of their stores, I’ll try asking for it at their dispensary though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikaar

Postby Thug » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:25 am

Can't really help you out here Mikaar. I don't use the stuff and haven't bought since I made my own aftershave.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby deepsouth » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:54 am

I think I have the dischem one too, only used it in my mickey mouse a/s. Would be awesome to get some Thayers in the country....

Unrelated topic; has anyone tried to use raw bay rum as an aftershave. I have the 'alpha pharmacy' one. Bit of a chemical smell to it, it could burn like a styptic pencil on a fresh cut :think: volunteers?
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby Jacquers » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:20 am

Not sure if they stock it any more, but some Pick n Pays used to have witch hazel and rose water.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby Mikaar » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks guys

@Deepsouth I saw Merkado on BOB has Thayers and a couple other websites as well. But I’m not sure how legitimate it is because they’re basically importing on your behalf.
I use the “raw” Dischem bayrum as an aftershave if that’s what you mean. It gives a good burn but isn’t too bad.

@Jacquers I have the Dischem witchhazel and rosewater, but I also think that’s alcohol free. It also has a bit of a longer drydown due to the rosewater

Mikaar

Postby deepsouth » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:55 am

Merkado...Markupo with sapo = no no no. The extra wait, sapo stess and elevated price does zero to quench my thirst to get something in country. In fact, if anyone ever figures out to exclude them from bob searches - that be great. Perhaps even exclude a specific local supplier with a large array of vintage razors at higher than 'normal' cost. <wink wink nudge nudge> These days I ignore anything shaving related with a black backdrop on the picture

I'm going to give that raw bay rum a run this w/end (if I shave, I like the following monday shave after skipping a w/end) Some rest time for the face too
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby Mikaar » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:03 am

deepsouth wrote:Merkado...Markupo with sapo = no no no. The extra wait, sapo stess and elevated price does zero to quench my thirst to get something in country. In fact, if anyone ever figures out to exclude them from bob searches - that be great. Perhaps even exclude a specific local supplier with a large array of vintage razors at higher than 'normal' cost. <wink wink nudge nudge> These days I ignore anything shaving related with a black backdrop on the picture

I'm going to give that raw bay rum a run this w/end (if I shave, I like the following monday shave after skipping a w/end) Some rest time for the face too
If you google bayrum South Africa you will find a few articles that are for women about using bayrum to grow or thicken hair. I’m not sure if it’s just in my mind or if there is some truth behind it, but when I use the Dischem bayrum I feel my hair does grow faster but I don’t get this with the pinaud bayrum. Give it a try and see if you also experience this
The bayrum was also sold out at my Dischem a couple of times and when I asked about it the shop assistant said ladies were buying it for their hair.

Mikaar

Postby c4Chucky » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:07 am

Hey guys,
Seeing that you are looking for witch hazel. I think I can help out with that.

The Razor Rebel aftershave splash is 50% Witch hazel. It also contains Aloe to soothe and Jojoba and Glycerine to hydrate.
It comes in a 30ml dropper bottle and about 10-12 drops should be enough for one application because it's not diluted.
It's only R70.

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/3134192 ... plash.html

I also have a cream base aftershave balm. It basically contains the same ingredients but mixed with a cream base. Kind of like Nivea but with added natural ingredients. I've been told it's better than Armani.
Also R70 for 100ml.

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/3124518 ... 100ml.html

Available in Lemon Lavender and Peppermint Patchouli.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Shave Awesome!

www.razorrebel.co.za
c4Chucky

Return to Aftershaves