which scents to pair with which?

Ending off a fine shave.

which scents to pair with which?

Postby HenkB » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:38 am

Hi Gents.

I have bought the following scents, and would like your expertise in seeing which do go well together, and which not?
If I have missed one (which would be a crucial ingredient in an exotic cocktail), please let me know.

I have the following essential oils:

Bay (WI)
Citrus
Patchouli
Sandalwood.

which go together and which not, and how to make everything better?
Many thanks
HenkB

Re: which scents to pair with which?

Postby Thug » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:51 am

My opinion, which you probably can take with a pinch of salt ;), is

Bay & Patchouli
Citrus & Sandalwood

But YMMV :)
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby Riaanb » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:18 am

HenkB wrote:Hi Gents.

I have bought the following scents, and would like your expertise in seeing which do go well together, and which not?
If I have missed one (which would be a crucial ingredient in an exotic cocktail), please let me know.

I have the following essential oils:

Bay (WI)
Citrus
Patchouli
Sandalwood.

which go together and which not, and how to make everything better?
Many thanks

Hi HenkB..in my sort experience with E/O i have learned that all scent can mix together, it all depends on each quantity of E/O that you will be mixing.
Do some google work, there is plenty of website on E/O and how to mix different scents, but again, it depends on what kind of scent you want.
"Every time I go and shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving. So I say, 'I'm gonna go shave, too.'
Mitch Hedberg
Riaanb

Postby HenkB » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:28 am

Riaanb wrote:, but again, it depends on what kind of scent you want.

That is the million dollar question, I thought I might get some tips from you guys instead of re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks, will look on google
HenkB

Postby BLES » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:50 am

HenkB wrote:
Riaanb wrote:, but again, it depends on what kind of scent you want.

That is the million dollar question, I thought I might get some tips from you guys instead of re-inventing the wheel.

Thanks, will look on google

You’re absolutely right Henk. What is the purpose of re-inventing the wheel if we have a superb forum like this where we can interact and help each other?
I’m no expert in this but already googled and experimented with this a bit to give you some pointers to help you to get to the kind of scent you’re looking for.
You did well in your choice of essential oils and I’m sure you’ll get some pretty good results.
Before we discuss the essential oils I would like to point out some basics I use before adding the essential oil/s.
Get you some Witch Hazel, glycerine, alum powder and alcohol for the base first.
Witch Hazel = Astringent. It helps to close the pores after a hot shave. It also contains 16% alcohol which disinfects any cuts.
Glycerine = It is a natural moisturizer and skin protectant to sooth skin after shaving.
Alum = A blood coagulant used to help stop the bleeding of cuts.
Alcohol = Disinfecting properties
Now let’s go to the fun part. I suggest to rather starting out with one oil at a time to get used to the scent profiles.
I think Thug is spot on with the two combinations he suggested. I would also have used them as such.
I would even add a third one. Bay & Citrus.
If I were you I would make one base which I would split up in 3 to use with each combination.
For the base:
2 Cups Which Hazel
2 Tbs Rum. I prefer dark rum.
½ Tsp Glycerine
Pinch of Alum
Add a few drops of each oil in the combination as suggested by me and Thug. Remember to start out with rather too little at a time because you can rather add if you need more of a certain scent.
For the Bay combinations I would even add a cinnamon stick, 2-3 cloves and 2-3 allspice to get that bay rum sensation. Put through a strainer when ready to get rid of the spices.
Close the jars shake and store for about 4 weeks. I like to give it a shake every second day.
Hope this helps a bit. :thumbup:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby HenkB » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:04 am

Thanks Bles!
Very informative. I will try, so that it can "mellow" over the festive time...

Have a great day
HenkB

Postby BLES » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:40 am

HenkB wrote:Thanks Bles!
Very informative. I will try, so that it can "mellow" over the festive time...

Have a great day

:thumbup:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Return to Aftershaves