Aftershave and shaving oil journey

Ending off a fine shave.

Aftershave and shaving oil journey

Postby BLES » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:17 am

The next few weeks I will be experimenting in making my own pre- and post-shave oils and aftershaves. I love the smell of bay rum and the properties of witch hazel and alcohol so why not? :think: As I’ll be making it to suit my needs and not for retail purposes I will share my recipes with you guys. Please feel free to share and shed some light on this topic. Please take note that I’m a total newbie in doing this there for any advice would be highly appreciated.

My base ingredients for the oils are olive oil and castor oil. As I progress I will experiment with grape seed, sweet almond and Jojoba oils.
Base ingredients for the aftershave are witch hazel which is an astringent. It helps to close the pores after a hot shave and it also has a 16% alcohol which disinfects any cuts. Glycerine which is a by-product of soap making. It is a natural moisturizer and skin propellant to sooth skin after shaving. Alum which is a coagulant used to help stop the bleeding of any cuts and then lastly alcohol for its disinfecting properties.
For the scent I will experiment with different essential oils, dried herbs and spices.

I started on an aftershave last night consisting of some left over Jack Tar Rum and orange peels. I added some witch hazel, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon stick, fresh ginger, fresh rosemary and vanilla extract. I keep a journal on the amount of everything I added and will place the final recipe here once it’s ready. I think storing it for at least a week giving it a shake every day will do. The ingredients “moet nou eers bietjie trou”. :D
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Re: Aftershave and shaving oil journey

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:23 am

Sounds like a cool project Bles. :thumbup: Look forward to seeing the final results.

Just make sure you don't drink the samples :D
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Thug » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:27 am

Sounds great Bles.

Let us know the quantities and from where you purchase the ingredients.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby BLES » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:26 am

Thanks RVT and Thug.
Last night I made some pre-and post-shave oil.
I mixed one part castor oil with one part olive oil (about 30ml each)
I think I went a little bit overboard with the essential oils but at the end I got a nice exotic sweet citrus scent with a subtle hint of lavender.
15 drops orange oil – (it is great for mature skin, dealing with dermatis, as well as acne and soothing a dry irritated skin.)
15 drops bergamot oil – (the scent is basic citrus, yet fruity and sweet with warm spicy floral notes. It blend well with orange and ylang-ylang oils. It works well for cuts, wounds, acne, eczema and cold sores.)
15 drops Ylang-Ylang – (it is used to balance the production of sebum in the skin and thereby correcting and balancing overly dry as well as overly oily skin)
10 drops tea tree oil – (it has a light spicy, rather pungent smell)
8 drops Lavender – It has a nice fresh aroma and blends well with all citrus oil.
I would have loved to add some sandalwood oil as well but unfortunately I didn’t have on hand and it is a bit pricy.
I used a few drops this morning for a pre-shave and I’m quite pleased with the outcome. :D
102_6224.JPG

102_6225.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby kportuesi » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:27 am

BLES wrote:Thanks RVT and Thug.
I think I went a little bit overboard with the essential oils but at the end I got a nice exotic sweet citrus scent with a subtle hint of lavender.
15 drops orange oil – (it is great for mature skin, dealing with dermatis, as well as acne and soothing a dry irritated skin.)
15 drops bergamot oil – (the scent is basic citrus, yet fruity and sweet with warm spicy floral notes. It blend well with orange and ylang-ylang oils. It works well for cuts, wounds, acne, eczema and cold sores.)
15 drops Ylang-Ylang – (it is used to balance the production of sebum in the skin and thereby correcting and balancing overly dry as well as overly oily skin)
8 drops Lavender – It has a nice fresh aroma and blends well with all citrus oil.
I would have loved to add some sandalwood oil as well but unfortunately I didn’t have on hand and it is a bit pricy.
I used a few drops this morning for a pre-shave and I’m quite pleased with the outcome. :D
102_6224.JPG

102_6225.JPG

Very Nice Bles. I also use the Olive castor 1:1 ratio works really well they say its the same base ingredients as AoS. you got Bergamot from the Barber? careful of the bergaptene increases photosynthesis, But I am sure you knew that already.
kportuesi

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:56 am

102_6224.JPG

102_6225.JPG

Cool. Looks good. Need to get some oils and start experimenting.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Thug » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:07 am

That's a concoction of note. :D

Where does the Olive Oil and Castor Oil fit in? Is that added to the other oils?
Thug

Postby BLES » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:17 am

Thanks RVT and Thug.

Thug, the olive oil and castor oil are my carrier oils to which I added the drops of essential oil.

I started by pouring about 30ml of the olive oil and 30ml of the castor oil together in the bottle. This is your base. Now you can start experimenting by adding a few drops of essential oils to you taste and like. :D
BLES

Postby Thug » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:55 am

Thug, the olive oil and castor oil are my carrier oils to which I added the drops of essential oil.

I started by pouring about 30ml of the olive oil and 30ml of the castor oil together in the bottle. This is your base. Now you can start experimenting by adding a few drops of essential oils to you taste and like. :D

And there is no viscosity issues with the different oils? ie they all mix together smoothly?
Thug

Postby BLES » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:55 am

Thug wrote:

And there is no viscosity issues with the different oils? ie they all mix together smoothly?

No, not at all Thug. They mix smoothly. With all my pre-shave oils I prefer to give it a gentle shake every time before I use it.
BLES

Postby AndreV » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:13 am

Nice one Bles!!!
Going to keep an eye on this one.
I haven't really used pre shave oil bar 1 or 2 times but i found that it breaks up the lather. How's this oil on the lather?
The one 1 I used was from The Shaving Company.
Shaving like it should be done!!
AndreV

Postby Thug » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:42 am

BLES wrote:No, not at all Thug. They mix smoothly. With all my pre-shave oils I prefer to give it a gentle shake every time before I use it.

Great.

I've never used a pre-shave oil so maybe I must try something like that.

[Thug takes walk to Clicks at lunchtime to check out what's available :D ]
Thug

Postby BLES » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:45 am

AndreV wrote:Nice one Bles!!!
I haven't really used pre shave oil bar 1 or 2 times but i found that it breaks up the lather. How's this oil on the lather?

Thanks Andre.
The purpose of pre-shave oil is to give your skin an added layer of protection prior to applying your shaving soap or cream lather. What I like about pre-shave oil is that it moisturizes my skin and protects my skin from razor burn or irritation especially now in winter time. If you choose to use a pre-shave oil look for an oil with a thin consistency. I noticed that thicker oils tend to clog the razor and can be difficult to rinse from your skin. Rather use thicker oil for a post shave. To properly apply a pre-shave oil, thoroughly rinse your face with warm water and apply a few drops of oil to the palm of your hand. Rub your palms together and gently massage the oil onto your face. The goal is to get a very thin coverage across your entire shaving area. Allow the oil to set on your skin for at least a minute during which time you can wash the remaining oil off your hands and prepare your lather. Apply your soap or cream lather to your face and proceed to shave as normal. I find it works better for me when I lather the soap straight to my face. It might be that you used too much water in your lather or you didn’t allow the oil enough time to set on your skin.
BLES

Postby BLES » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:59 am

Thug wrote:
BLES wrote:No, not at all Thug. They mix smoothly. With all my pre-shave oils I prefer to give it a gentle shake every time before I use it.

Great.

I've never used a pre-shave oil so maybe I must try something like that.

[Thug takes walk to Clicks at lunchtime to check out what's available :D ]

Here is a Clicks close to my work as well. Yesterday I bought Lavender and Tea tree oil from them which was on special. They also sell castor oil. :D
A simple recipe to start with is to use is one part olive oil and one part castor oil and then only add 15 drops of Lavender essential oil.
It is a great starter pre-shave oil. Other essential oil which also works well is Sandalwood, Patchouli and Geranium. If the olive oil is to thick you can always change the ratio to 2:1 (castor oil to 2 parts and the olive oil to 1 part). The important thing is to add small quantities of essential oil to the base oil at a time. You can always add more if you feel like it.
Enjoy!
BLES

Postby AndreV » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:09 pm

BLES wrote:

Thanks Andre.
The purpose of pre-shave oil is to give your skin an added layer of protection prior to applying your shaving soap or cream lather. What I like about pre-shave oil is that it moisturizes my skin and protects my skin from razor burn or irritation especially now in winter time. If you choose to use a pre-shave oil look for an oil with a thin consistency. I noticed that thicker oils tend to clog the razor and can be difficult to rinse from your skin. Rather use thicker oil for a post shave. To properly apply a pre-shave oil, thoroughly rinse your face with warm water and apply a few drops of oil to the palm of your hand. Rub your palms together and gently massage the oil onto your face. The goal is to get a very thin coverage across your entire shaving area. Allow the oil to set on your skin for at least a minute during which time you can wash the remaining oil off your hands and prepare your lather. Apply your soap or cream lather to your face and proceed to shave as normal. I find it works better for me when I lather the soap straight to my face. It might be that you used too much water in your lather or you didn’t allow the oil enough time to set on your skin.

Thanks for the explanation.
The steps you mentioned is exactly what i did. used very little oil as well and let it sit while creating lather.
The oil i used was very thick though, and was still on my skin after the 3rd pass. Maybe something in there is breaking up my lather.
Will try another 1 to see if there is a difference
AndreV

Postby BLES » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:24 pm

You can always try to thin down your existing pre-shave oil by adding some grapeseed oil or castor oil which is thinner than olive oil.
BLES

Postby O_P » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:33 pm

AndreV wrote:
BLES wrote:

Thanks Andre.

Thanks for the explanation.
The steps you mentioned is exactly what i did. used very little oil as well and let it sit while creating lather.
The oil i used was very thick though, and was still on my skin after the 3rd pass. Maybe something in there is breaking up my lather.
Will try another 1 to see if there is a difference

I recently watched a video by Douglas Smythe (How to grow a moustache) see link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4vM-X1vzJk

In the video he mentions that you should avoid olive oil as a pre-shave as it kills lather. This might be breaking up your lather.
O_P

Postby BLES » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Thanks for this O P. :thumbup: I didn't experience any problems with my lather this morning but I will continue testing it with other creams and soaps to see how it will react. I know Jojoba is good oil for shaving products. I saw some at Dischem last week and think I should try it with the castor oil next time.
BLES

Postby O_P » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:52 pm

BLES wrote:Thanks for this O P. :thumbup: I didn't experience any problems with my lather this morning but I will continue testing it with other creams and soaps to see how it will react. I know Jojoba is good oil for shaving products. I saw some at Dischem last week and think I should try it with the castor oil next time.

No problem, don't have any first hand experience myself. He also did another video recently specifically on pre-shave which may be useful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__vV3HbolmI.
O_P

Postby AndreV » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:18 pm

BLES wrote:You can always try to thin down your existing pre-shave oil by adding some grapeseed oil or castor oil which is thinner than olive oil.

That's a great idea. Thanks Bles, will give it a try.
AndreV

Next

Return to Aftershaves