Aftershave and shaving oil journey

Ending off a fine shave.

Re: Aftershave and shaving oil journey

Postby AndreV » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:23 pm

O_P wrote:
AndreV wrote:Thanks for the explanation.
The steps you mentioned is exactly what i did. used very little oil as well and let it sit while creating lather.
The oil i used was very thick though, and was still on my skin after the 3rd pass. Maybe something in there is breaking up my lather.
Will try another 1 to see if there is a difference

I recently watched a video by Douglas Smythe (How to grow a moustache) see link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4vM-X1vzJk

In the video he mentions that you should avoid olive oil as a pre-shave as it kills lather. This might be breaking up your lather.

Thanks for the link O_P.
That's interesting as Bles uses Olive oil in his home made oil and don't report any issues.
The pre shave oil I have I got in a starter pack from "The Shaving Co", no idea what the ingredients are though.
I've only tried mine with Admiral Shave cream, maybe i should test with another soap/cream and report back
Shaving like it should be done!!
AndreV

Postby BLES » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:49 am

I used the pre-shave oil with Old Spice shaving cream this morning and still didn't experience any breaking up of the lather. Andre, do you apply the oil on wet or dry skin? I find that when I dry my face first before applying the oil it provide ample of time for the oil to be absorbed. Once the oil is settled I wet my face with hot water and lather up. I once applied the oil on wet skin and that didn't work well. The wet skin prevented the oil to settle on the skin. :think:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby AndreV » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:06 pm

BLES wrote:I used the pre-shave oil with Old Spice shaving cream this morning and still didn't experience any breaking up of the lather. Andre, do you apply the oil on wet or dry skin? I find that when I dry my face first before applying the oil it provide ample of time for the oil to be absorbed. Once the oil is settled I wet my face with hot water and lather up. I once applied the oil on wet skin and that didn't work well. The wet skin prevented the oil to settle on the skin. :think:

That might be the problem. I applied it to a wet face previously.
Will give it another go over the weekend and report back.
Thanks for the feedback!! :thumbup:
Shaving like it should be done!!
AndreV

Postby BLES » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:01 am

It is now 4 weeks that passed since I took a little bit of pipe tobacco (Peterson De Luxe mixture) and added a little bit of grape seed oil to extract the sweet tobacco aroma. Mmmmmm it smells divine. :D
So last night I started with my tobacco aftershave. I mixed a few of the tobacco oil drops with dark rum, witch hazel, glycerine and alum.
Now it must cure for 10 days.
I like it this far but let’s see what will turn out after the curing process. ;)
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:07 am

BLES wrote:It is now 4 weeks that passed since I took a little bit of pipe tobacco (Peterson De Luxe mixture) and added a little bit of grape seed oil to extract the sweet tobacco aroma. Mmmmmm it smells divine. :D
So last night I started with my tobacco aftershave. I mixed a few of the tobacco oil drops with dark rum, witch hazel, glycerine and alum.
I like it this far but let’s see what will turn out after the curing process. ;)

Cool, thanks for the recipe BLES.

As Vintage said, if it don't work out, at least you can drink it :D
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:54 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:
BLES wrote:It is now 4 weeks that passed since I took a little bit of pipe tobacco (Peterson De Luxe mixture) and added a little bit of grape seed oil to extract the sweet tobacco aroma. Mmmmmm it smells divine. :D

Cool, thanks for the recipe BLES.

As Vintage said, if it don't work out, at least you can drink it :D

Thanks RVT. I will pm you the measurements if this one is a success :D
BLES

Postby Chrisvo » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:14 pm

Looks like an interesting recipe! I put London Gin into my recipe :lol: Toned down the tea tree oil smell a bit and provided enough alcohol for the menthol crystals to mix in. Glycerine is a very good idea to counteract the alcohol and add some moisturising to the toner. Must remember to mix that into my next try.
Chrisvo

Postby Riaanb » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi all

Bless - your idea of beard oil is good, but can i give advise? most of the year i have being growing a beard until now, and in that time to keep my beard healthy and well groomed i had to use beard oil. after much research i started to make my own beard because the local stuff that i could find was expensive (still bought some).

so after playing and testing the carriers i learn that the darker the color of the oil, the heaver the oil is. that is way coconut and olive oil do not work and will "kill the lather". what you need is lighter non-greasy oil. testing some the best one to use is Sweet Almond, Grape seed, Argan and Jojoba oil. All the oils is good for hair, specially the Argan and Jojoba is good for hair and skin.

The ratio will depend on you, but using a 30ml bottle, i would go for 10ml sweet almond and grapeseed and 5ml on argan and jojoba. one reason being that argan and jojoba is expensive oils and sweet almond and grapeseed is under R50.

Essential oils is abit tricky, you need to learn what the uses for each scent is to make use that it will not cause skin irritation and problems. mixing scents are wonderful, but one thing i also learned was to much might not be good. if you use any essential oils start with 1 drop of each and work your way up until you get the scent you want, which is also tricky, because the longer the oils infuse with each other, the different the scent will become.

so in a 30 ml bottle of carrier oil add no more the 10 -15 drops of essential oils. at first when you mix the carrier and essentials the scent will be very weak, but leave it and over time, 3/4 weeks the essentials will have settle and and start knowing each other. even when you rub the oil in your palm different oils will presents if self.

i made some for a friend that is also in wet shaving and he likes it and works for him.

if you don't want to spend money on buying all kind of oils, buy some local beard oil my fav is Beard Du Sud. use it as a post shave oil and my skin felt nice afterwards, not even oily.

there is alot of website and recipes on the net about homemade beard oil.

enjoy gentlemen
"Every time I go and shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving. So I say, 'I'm gonna go shave, too.'
Mitch Hedberg
Riaanb

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:01 pm

Riaanb wrote:Hi all

Bless - your idea of beard oil is good, but can i give advise? most of the year i have being growing a beard until now, and in that time to keep my beard healthy and well groomed i had to use beard oil. after much research i started to make my own beard because the local stuff that i could find was expensive (still bought some).

so after playing and testing the carriers i learn that the darker the color of the oil, the heaver the oil is. that is way coconut and olive oil do not work and will "kill the lather". what you need is lighter non-greasy oil. testing some the best one to use is Sweet Almond, Grape seed, Argan and Jojoba oil. All the oils is good for hair, specially the Argan and Jojoba is good for hair and skin.

The ratio will depend on you, but using a 30ml bottle, i would go for 10ml sweet almond and grapeseed and 5ml on argan and jojoba. one reason being that argan and jojoba is expensive oils and sweet almond and grapeseed is under R50.

Essential oils is abit tricky, you need to learn what the uses for each scent is to make use that it will not cause skin irritation and problems. mixing scents are wonderful, but one thing i also learned was to much might not be good. if you use any essential oils start with 1 drop of each and work your way up until you get the scent you want, which is also tricky, because the longer the oils infuse with each other, the different the scent will become.

so in a 30 ml bottle of carrier oil add no more the 10 -15 drops of essential oils. at first when you mix the carrier and essentials the scent will be very weak, but leave it and over time, 3/4 weeks the essentials will have settle and and start knowing each other. even when you rub the oil in your palm different oils will presents if self.

i made some for a friend that is also in wet shaving and he likes it and works for him.

if you don't want to spend money on buying all kind of oils, buy some local beard oil my fav is Beard Du Sud. use it as a post shave oil and my skin felt nice afterwards, not even oily.

there is alot of website and recipes on the net about homemade beard oil.

enjoy gentlemen

Thank you very much Riaan. I see you have put a lot of time and experimentation into this. :thumbup:
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:20 am

Thank you Riaan :thumbup: Lately I also experiment with grape seed and jojoba oils and only use the olive oil as a post shave.
BLES

Postby HenkB » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:32 pm

Just one question:
When one used olive oil as a post shave balm/aftershave, how much do you use? just a couple of drops like with Pre-shave?

Also, Bio-Oil, would that work nice as a carrier oil, when added some bay and lavender etc?
Thanks
HenkB

Postby Riaanb » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:21 pm

HenkB wrote:Just one question:
When one used olive oil as a post shave balm/aftershave, how much do you use? just a couple of drops like with Pre-shave?

Also, Bio-Oil, would that work nice as a carrier oil, when added some bay and lavender etc?
Thanks

Olive oil is a bit thick, but on 2/3 drops will do the work.

Bio-oil i have used many times as a pre shave, but i would not use it as a carrier oils because it has already other oils in which is target for stretch marks and cuts.

Buy some stand alone carrier oils, Jojoba, Grapeseed, Avocado eg.....some you can get for under R50, then you can add some essentials oils to it.
"Every time I go and shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving. So I say, 'I'm gonna go shave, too.'
Mitch Hedberg
Riaanb

Postby HenkB » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:29 am

Dankie Riaan, waardeer die info
HenkB

Postby Riaanb » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:43 am

HenkB wrote:Dankie Riaan, waardeer die info

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mitch Hedberg
Riaanb

Postby Mikaar » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:43 pm

Resurrecting a bit of an old thread. After enjoying the scent on the Aos Oud and being unable to match the scent with any aftershaves I decided to try and create my own.

I don't have any experience with this aside from having done a basic chemistry course. What sort of instruments and glassware etc do you guys use for mixing and blending and measuring out ingredients? I already have a scale that that has 0.01g accuracy and I also bought a bunch of syringes and needles for measuring out liquids. I got quite a suspicious look from the cashier took, probably thought I was a druggie

Also, where do you buy your ingredients from? I have the Dischem witchhazel and I'm not sure if it's the real thing or pure enough etc. I also bought some surgical spirits from there but it has chemical smell so I'm not if I can use that. I might also use some vodka as base like Deepsouth did, but I'm not sure what percentage is sufficient to use.

I found a website that sells oud oils and looks more professional and legitimate than the Arab guys selling the little vials at the flea markets. I'm thinking about buying some of their oils and using those to match the scent.
http://afzalfragrances.co.za

I'm basically asking what's the right setup to have before I start and which are good products to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikaar

Postby deepsouth » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:36 pm

Mikaar, I flew by the seat of my pants. I have a few syringes and used my stainless baking bits for measuring. My creation is steeping in a washed Jack Daniels bottle. In my view a drop or two less / more won't hurt. If pirates made bay rum so can I. You can always add but seldom subtract (unless you add vodka to weaken?) I had a whiff of the 93% stuff at dischem, vile on the nose.
Like the alpha bay rum (which has a strong chemically alcohol smell) it lessens heaps when applied to skin. The trick methinks is to make the scent last without an oily feel

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby deepsouth » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:59 pm

Also, I'm going to get some oud oils from these guys too. I can imagine my bay rum recipe, but using oud instead

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby Mikaar » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:20 pm

I'll pick up some of the small pint bottles of vodka and rum to play around with. I was readying the scent profile of Musgrave gin the other day and it seemed like the perfect base to use as an aftershave. Just add some witchhazel and glycerine and it would seriously be perfect. The description from their website sounds more like a fragrance profile than a flavor profile.

" Musgrave 11 Premium is no ordinary gin and its top notes of aromatic Cardamom, African Ginger (Whitei Mondei) and Grains of Paradise are reminiscent of the perfume of spice markets. Cardamom, part of the ginger family is fragrant and spicy with a strong flavour and perfume and is used in North Africa to flavour tea and meat dishes. Whitei Mondei or African Ginger is a truly magical African herb. The roots are aromatic and taste like ginger or liquorice and have an aroma of vanilla. Grains of Paradise, native to Africa are worth a couple of minutes' meditation. The aroma is woody and forest-like and the flavour is an inviting, peppery warmth without the harshness of black pepper. The woody character gives way to cloves, cinnamon and a faint hint of cardamom and leaves you with a gentle flame."

Another reason I'm keen on using fragrance oils is that I'll be able to skip waiting for all of the different scents to infuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikaar

Postby BLES » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:58 am

Sound like you’re on the right track Mikaar. Keep it simple and do what please you the most is the best advice I can give you. Jack Tar Rum is the main ingredient in all my "doepas" and I eyeball the stuff. No need for expensive measuring equipment. Try to get you some Aloe Vera gel if you can. I prefer using it instead of glycerine. ;)
BLES

Postby DAVEP » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:29 am

What about normal Johnson's baby oil?? Have any of you guys tried that.
DAVEP

PreviousNext

Return to Aftershaves