Special Offers

A place to chat about just about anything.

Re: Special Offers

Postby shiomoto » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:10 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Strangely there are not too many reviews of the new Crabtree and Evelyn shave crams. However, I spotted a Crabtree and Evelyn Moroccan Myrrh tube on a fellow shavers SOTD and I asked him about it. He said the scent is really strong and the lather/cushion is good but was a bit disappointed with the post-shave feel.

I think it's because that the C&E products are pricy and considered as high-end. They've changed the names of their shaving collections towards the end of 2013. "Nomad" was renamed to "Moroccan Myrrh", "Sandalwood" was renamed to "Indian Sandalwood", "Sienna" was discontinued and "West Indian Lime" was introduced. I assume the ingredients were re-formulated as well. I really enjoyed C&E products. No doubt, the quality of their shaving products were really fantastic before the re-formulations, but now, I am not so sure anymore.
shiomoto

Postby O_P » Fri May 01, 2015 9:51 am

Crabtree & Evelyn have less 50% on all goods in store today, when I went in to the Sandton store yesterday they had Edwin jagger apothecary style shave mugs in stock as well. Think this is a good deal. Think its also online but less variety.
O_P

Postby Thug » Fri May 01, 2015 11:29 am

O_P wrote:Crabtree & Evelyn have less 50% on all goods in store today, when I went in to the Sandton store yesterday they had Edwin jagger apothecary style shave mugs in stock as well. Think this is a good deal. Think its also online but less variety.

Thanks.

Will pay them a visit on Monday when I'm back at work.
Thug

Postby O_P » Fri May 01, 2015 12:17 pm

Thug wrote:
O_P wrote:Crabtree & Evelyn have less 50% on all goods in store today, when I went in to the Sandton store yesterday they had Edwin jagger apothecary style shave mugs in stock as well. Think this is a good deal. Think its also online but less variety.

Thanks.

Will pay them a visit on Monday when I'm back at work.

My understanding it is only for today
O_P

Postby Jansman » Sat May 02, 2015 7:23 pm

Crabtree and Evelyn

Love the scents of their product...beyond that it stops...I wont shave with their offerings....

Mhee, for their prices you can do better...

Dont forget lads, L' Occitane Cade is also freely available for us in SA, awesome hard soap...fantastic shave bowl (I was bleak that you had to buy the bowl R400 and the soap R170 seperatly)... cream, a bit kaka....

Has anyone manged to get their hands on the L' Occitane Plisson synthetic brush...our international comrades rave about it...I have not been lucky...

Jans
Jansman

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat May 02, 2015 9:51 pm

Jansman wrote:Crabtree and Evelyn

Love the scents of their product...beyond that it stops...I wont shave with their offerings....

Dont forget lads, L' Occitane Cade is also freely available for us in SA, awesome hard soap...fantastic shave bowl (I was bleak that you had to buy the bowl R400 and the soap R170 seperatly)... cream, a bit kaka....

Has anyone manged to get their hands on the L' Occitane Plisson synthetic brush...our international comrades rave about it...I have not been lucky...

Jans

As far as the fancy tubs and wooden bowls go, I have now given that up. I prefer to buy the cheaper refills and just use a plastic container.

Regarding the Plisson brush, I've yet to see one locally. I see there is a cheaper white handle version available directly from Plisson (the don't ship herer). Also strange that none of the other brush makers seem to have anything that competes directly. Surely the synthetic knot can be duplicated?
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Jansman » Sun May 03, 2015 10:31 am

RVT...check this out:

http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/cg ... THCH2CREAM

L'Occitance Plisson, RSA did get a consignment, apparently there are two left in stock...somewhere...they think they are at the Melrose Branch but I have not heard back from them...

Jans
Jansman

Postby shiomoto » Sun May 03, 2015 2:59 pm

Jansman wrote:Crabtree and Evelyn

Jans

My personal experiences with C&E products have been excellent (except for the Nomad soap and cream, which occasionally burns my skin, and the new formula Sienna soap, which does not produce stable lather). Although the post-shave feel is not the greatest, but the cushion, slickness and protection are amongst the top-notch. However, these soaps that I've been using were stocked around 2005 and being carefully "preserved", so might have different formula to the ones you've experienced.

I also have a puck of L'Occitane shaving soap. Love the clean subtle woody ferny scent. Although the lather is not the slickest, but it does a great job in protecting the skin during shaving. Unfortunately, like C&E Nomad, it burns my skin sometimes. I've tried shaving twice with L'Occitane shaving cream (free tester sample). The scent was a bit medicinal and feminine, and the lather wasn't as nice as that of the soap, but it didn't cause any irritation during those 2 shaves. I also didn't have any luck in finding the Plisson synthetic. The only brush I saw at the shop (V & A waterfront one) was a travel brush that looked a lot like the Muhle travel brush, but with undyed bristles.
shiomoto

Postby Thug » Sun May 03, 2015 5:53 pm

Just watched PaulH review the Plisson L'Occitane synthetic and he raved about the softness of the bristles.
Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun May 03, 2015 7:11 pm

Thug wrote:Just watched PaulH review the Plisson L'Occitane synthetic and he raved about the softness of the bristles.

Watch Chris Bailey's video of his top 5 brushes. All Plisson synthetics. :D
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Chrisvo » Sun May 03, 2015 7:29 pm

Not a synthetic fan here. I like the realness factor of a proper brush. That and I love the soft but firm touch of a boar brush. My skin thanks me too.
Chrisvo

Postby Thug » Sun May 03, 2015 8:59 pm

Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun May 03, 2015 10:52 pm

Nice. If only the Post Office wasn't so broken! I don't know about you guys, but I always wait for stuff in transit to arrive before placing any more orders. Just my way...
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Thug » Mon May 04, 2015 8:46 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:
Nice. If only the Post Office wasn't so broken! I don't know about you guys, but I always wait for stuff in transit to arrive before placing any more orders. Just my way...

I agree, it's just too much of a risk to spend thousands and hope that it survives the journey through numerous sticky fingers! :evil:

I'd purchase a couple of razors tomorrow from Germany if I knew they would get here but alas.....
Thug

Postby Thug » Thu May 07, 2015 7:38 am

Grrr........why do we have to live in a country where we can't trust the postal system ?

Possibly one of the best DE Razors on the market today.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/feather-al ... rer=JRS94T
Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu May 07, 2015 7:48 am

Thug wrote:Grrr........why do we have to live in a country where we can't trust the postal system ?

Nice razor. We have had a few customers request these. I'm looking into restocking razors. Might just add a couple of these to the next shipment (depending on price etc.) .
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Thug » Thu May 07, 2015 8:24 am

Thug wrote:Grrr........why do we have to live in a country where we can't trust the postal system ?

Nice razor. We have had a few customers request these. I'm looking into restocking razors. Might just add a couple of these to the next shipment (depending on price etc.) .

It gets great reviews and is a well loved razor and I would dearly love one!

But to keep stock of a Razor that retails probably close to R2.5k in this country :shock:
Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu May 07, 2015 8:58 am

Thug wrote:

It gets great reviews and is a well loved razor and I would dearly love one!

But to keep stock of a Razor that retails probably close to R2.5k in this country :shock:

I know, my Father and I had a bit of an American Chopper style discussion as to whether we should stock them . :D
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Thug » Thu May 07, 2015 9:25 am

I know, my Father and I had a bit of an American Chopper style discussion as to whether we should stock them . :D

So which one of you had the sleeveless shirt and Tats? :lol:
Thug

Postby admin » Thu May 07, 2015 9:28 am

We are in the same boat, SAPO has really messed us around - this is the mail we received back after waiting 2 Months for a package :cry:

Good day,

Thank you for contacting the South African Post Office.

Your item has local reference RI2792XXXXXZA. It cleared customs on 05/05/15 and will soon be forwarded to your local post point in due course. Please send a reminder on by Monday for an update on it.

We do understand your frustration and we offer no excuse for the lack of service. Please accept our sincere regret for an inconvenience this may have caused you.

Warm regards,
Customer Services
Share-call: (086) 011 1502 | Fax: (086) 560 1215
South African Post Office
Email: customer.services@postoffice.co.za | Website: http://www.postoffice.co.za

This topic hits the proverbial nail-on-the-head: http://www.news24.com/MyNews24/Object-lesson-how-to-destroy-a-once-thriving-business-20150507
Master Shave | The Home of Wet Shaving Enthusiasts |Links: Image Image
admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Stoep