Special Offers

A place to chat about just about anything.

Standard Razors - Massdrop

Postby O_P » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:02 pm

I see that Massdrop (group buying site) https://www.massdrop.com/r/WL7HZY are doing a group buy on Standard Razors, the black is $49.99 and ships to SA for $4, which I think is a fairly decent deal, the raw version sells for $5 less . The only catch is it only ships in June. I decided to pull the trigger and thought I should share here.

Admin feel free to move or delete if not appropriate.
User avatar
O_P
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:00 pm
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Standard Razors - Massdrop

Postby Thug » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:35 pm

Interesting and at a very good price.

My only concern is our local post office's propensity for items disappearing.
User avatar
Thug
 
Posts: 3799
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Standard Razors - Massdrop

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:00 am

O_P wrote:I see that Massdrop (group buying site) https://www.massdrop.com/r/WL7HZY are doing a group buy on Standard Razors, the black is $49.99 and ships to SA for $4, which I think is a fairly decent deal, the raw version sells for $5 less . The only catch is it only ships in June. I decided to pull the trigger and thought I should share here.

Admin feel free to move or delete if not appropriate.


Cool, very good price. Long delivery lead time though. They don't seem to have a courier option either.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.


http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
User avatar
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor
 
Posts: 9018
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Durban

Re: Standard Razors - Massdrop

Postby Jacquers » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:50 am

Very tempting - they get good reviews. I think it's a bit overpriced though, seeing that it's made from Alu.

The post office is a bit of a worry though. I ordered a Parker 26c a while back from overseas and I'm not sure if I will ever get it.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
User avatar
Jacquers
 
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:20 pm
Location: Port Elizabeth

Re: Standard Razors - Massdrop

Postby O_P » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:52 am

I think its a decent deal, $50 off the retail price on the Standard website.

anyone here bought from Massdrop before?
User avatar
O_P
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:00 pm
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Standard Razors - Massdrop

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:39 am

O_P wrote:I think its a decent deal, $50 off the retail price on the Standard website.

anyone here bought from Massdrop before?


Friend of ours ordered some game cards. (Magic, I think). He said it does take a bit longer than expected to ship after the listing closes. MassDrop are purely middlemen - you can't ask them to ship by courier, or change anything (yet). They don't carry stock and there are also no refunds or returns.

Anyway, he got his box of cards within a month. Apparently shipping is so cheap because the boxes are brought into the country by UPS then 'injected' into the Postal System. He also had to pay duties and VAT.

Overall it seem like a good concept if you are looking for a discount on certain enthusiast level products. However, if things should go wrong (lost parcel or damaged /faulty goods), the options you have seem a bit limited.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.


http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
User avatar
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor
 
Posts: 9018
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Durban

Re: Standard Razors - Massdrop

Postby Jacquers » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:57 am

Thanks for the extra info. Makes it more tempting...

I think the June delay is because the manufacturers are out of stock atm.

Could you find out if your friend got a tracking number with massdrop? The big issue I have atm with my international order is that I don't have a tracking number. And the post office is really slack with delivering the collection cards, so without tracking it might be at the post office, but I might not get the card to go collect it.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
User avatar
Jacquers
 
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:20 pm
Location: Port Elizabeth

Re: Standard Razors - Massdrop

Postby Jacquers » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:11 am

Maybe RVT / Chrisvo can give us a review of the razor? It's a lot of money to spend... is it worth it?
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
User avatar
Jacquers
 
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:20 pm
Location: Port Elizabeth

Re: Standard Razors - Massdrop

Postby Thug » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:36 am

User avatar
Thug
 
Posts: 3799
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Standard Razors - Massdrop

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:09 pm

Jacquers wrote:Thanks for the extra info. Makes it more tempting...

I think the June delay is because the manufacturers are out of stock atm.

Could you find out if your friend got a tracking number with massdrop? The big issue I have atm with my international order is that I don't have a tracking number. And the post office is really slack with delivering the collection cards, so without tracking it might be at the post office, but I might not get the card to go collect it.


He said there are no tracking numbers for international shipments.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.


http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
User avatar
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor
 
Posts: 9018
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Durban

Re: Standard Razors - Massdrop

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:48 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:..Apparently shipping is so cheap because the boxes are brought into the country by UPS then 'injected' into the Postal System. He also had to pay duties and VAT.


Correction here, I did some checking and I found that UPS courier the package from MassDrop to the US international postal depot, and it is 'injected' into the postal system at that point (not here in SA). So there is still a risk of your parcel getting caught up in the international incoming postal backlog.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.


http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
User avatar
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor
 
Posts: 9018
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Durban

Clicks Nivea Special

Postby Jacquers » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:56 am

Their aftershave balms are nice, but please don't buy the canned shaving foam ;)

Clicks Nivea Special.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
User avatar
Jacquers
 
Posts: 1213
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:20 pm
Location: Port Elizabeth

Re: Clicks Nivea Special

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:24 pm

Jacquers wrote:Their aftershave balms are nice, but please don't buy the canned shaving foam ;)

Clicks Nivea Special.png


It's a very good offer. (And I agree with earlier sentiments regarding the canned chemicals ;) )
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.


http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
User avatar
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor
 
Posts: 9018
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Durban

Vulfix Super Badger - Massdrop

Postby Thug » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:36 pm

As with the Standard Razor before, herewith the latest shaving related offer from Massdrop.

Vulfix Super Badger Brush #374

"Quality Performance
Based in the United Kingdom, Progress Vulfix has been one of the leading producers of handmade shaving brushes for over 60 years. Made with Super Badger bristles, the Vulfix #374 offers a thick lather and consistent application, making it one of Vulfix’s most popular brushes.

Known for their excellent water retention and soft feel, bristles made from Super Badger hair outperform and outlive bristles made with synthetic fibers. Finished with a lathe turned handle, the #374 features excellent weight distribution and rests easily in the palm."

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/super-badg ... guest_open
User avatar
Thug
 
Posts: 3799
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: Johannesburg

Special Offers

Postby O_P » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:12 am

Hi All,

Thought I would create a thread where members can each other a heads up on what special offers they my have come across.

I see that Crabtree and Evelyn had a 2 for 1 Special at their Sandton store on selected items, this included shave creams, tubes and tubs as well has hard soaps, re-fills and in wooden bowls. I don't see this on their website so I think its limited to in-store. May be a plan for guys to pair up and get one each.

Cheers.
User avatar
O_P
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:00 pm
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Special Offers

Postby admin » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:53 am

O_P wrote:Hi All,

Thought I would create a thread where members can each other a heads up on what special offers they my have come across.

I see that Crabtree and Evelyn had a 2 for 1 Special at their Sandton store on selected items, this included shave creams, tubes and tubs as well has hard soaps, re-fills and in wooden bowls. I don't see this on their website so I think its limited to in-store. May be a plan for guys to pair up and get one each.

Cheers.


Hi O_P,

Excellent idea, I will be merging all specials already posted into this thread and pinning it.

This will thread can be run on a trial basis and discretion is to be used on what get's posted please gents.

Happy Shaves :thumbup:
MS
Master Shave | The Home of Wet Shaving Enthusiasts |Links: Image Image
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:53 pm
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Special Offers

Postby shiomoto » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:14 pm

O_P wrote:Hi All,

Thought I would create a thread where members can each other a heads up on what special offers they my have come across.

I see that Crabtree and Evelyn had a 2 for 1 Special at their Sandton store on selected items, this included shave creams, tubes and tubs as well has hard soaps, re-fills and in wooden bowls. I don't see this on their website so I think its limited to in-store. May be a plan for guys to pair up and get one each.

Cheers.


The old formula Crabtree & Evelyn hard soaps are really excellent (with ingredient list starts with potassium palmate). Sadly, they re-formulated their soaps two or three years ago. In most cases, only quick-dissipating foams being generated, no cushiony lathers, no matter what brushes or methods I tried. If you're interested in their soaps, watch out for the New formula ones with ingredient list starts with sodium palmate. If you happen to have purchased an unlatherable C&E soap, it's not the end of the world, and you don't have to keep it aside as a bath soap. Just use it as a "brushless soap", rubbing the soap directly onto your face as you would with shaving sticks, then work it into a thick coat with your fingers/hand. Though there would be no cushiony lather, but the protection and slickness would still be there in the coat to give you a smooth irritation-free shave.
User avatar
shiomoto
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:18 pm

Re: Special Offers

Postby O_P » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:15 am

shiomoto wrote:
O_P wrote:Hi All,

Thought I would create a thread where members can each other a heads up on what special offers they my have come across.

I see that Crabtree and Evelyn had a 2 for 1 Special at their Sandton store on selected items, this included shave creams, tubes and tubs as well has hard soaps, re-fills and in wooden bowls. I don't see this on their website so I think its limited to in-store. May be a plan for guys to pair up and get one each.

Cheers.


The old formula Crabtree & Evelyn hard soaps are really excellent (with ingredient list starts with potassium palmate). Sadly, they re-formulated their soaps two or three years ago. In most cases, only quick-dissipating foams being generated, no cushiony lathers, no matter what brushes or methods I tried. If you're interested in their soaps, watch out for the New formula ones with ingredient list starts with sodium palmate. If you happen to have purchased an unlatherable C&E soap, it's not the end of the world, and you don't have to keep it aside as a bath soap. Just use it as a "brushless soap", rubbing the soap directly onto your face as you would with shaving sticks, then work it into a thick coat with your fingers/hand. Though there would be no cushiony lather, but the protection and slickness would still be there in the coat to give you a smooth irritation-free shave.


Thanks for the insights Shiomoto, does the problem extend to their shave creams as well?
User avatar
O_P
 
Posts: 696
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:00 pm
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Special Offers

Postby shiomoto » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:26 am

O_P wrote:Thanks for the insights Shiomoto, does the problem extend to their shave creams as well?

That I can't tell. I've only experienced their shaving creams, which were bought 3 or 4 years ago. Not too sure whether they've re-formulated their creams too along with the soaps. However, with the creams it's easy, you can just walk into a store and ask for a little test samples (creams as well as aftershave balms) to take home to try, and only consider buying them if the results meet up to your standards.
User avatar
shiomoto
 
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:18 pm

Re: Special Offers

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:49 am

shiomoto wrote:
O_P wrote:Thanks for the insights Shiomoto, does the problem extend to their shave creams as well?

That I can't tell. I've only experienced their shaving creams, which were bought 3 or 4 years ago. Not too sure whether they've re-formulated their creams too along with the soaps. However, with the creams it's easy, you can just walk into a store and ask for a little test samples (creams as well as aftershave balms) to take home to try, and only consider buying them if the results meet up to your standards.


Strangely there are not too many reviews of the new Crabtree and Evelyn shave crams. However, I spotted a Crabtree and Evelyn Moroccan Myrrh tube on a fellow shavers SOTD and I asked him about it. He said the scent is really strong and the lather/cushion is good but was a bit disappointed with the post-shave feel.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.


http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
User avatar
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor
 
Posts: 9018
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Durban

Next

Return to The Stoep

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest