Shaving Sticks compared

Reviews and Opinions on all types of soaps, creams and croaps.

Shaving Sticks compared

Postby jegreen » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:45 pm

Always found them a bit of a novelty, but thought to go through some shave sticks that I had sitting in my cupboard. Tried to categorise and rank everything from best to worst in my opinion. Other sticks that I can think of - Vie Long, Valobra, TOBS, Tabac, DR Harris, Arko.

I used one stick per day, paired with an EJ DE89 razor loaded with a Wilkinson Sword blade. Each stick was briefly dipped in water and rubbed over entire face once. Face lathered with synthetic RR400 and added water to brush as needed.

PRICE:
Palmolive - cheapest shavng soap on the planet!
Lea
Wilkinson
La Toja
Speick

SCENT: Top 2 here are quite unique and the rest are very neutral.
La Toja - woody, aftershave, most heavily scented.
Speick - herbal, lavender, might not be for everyone. I like it!
Palmolive - clean and fresh, made me think of washed laundry.
Wilkinson - smells like Lux white hand soap.
Lea - also soap smell but closer to washing powder.

LATHERING EASE/ VOLUME:
Speick - quite thirsty, but lathers similar to Lea, good thick lather enough for 4 passes, face lathers well
La Toja - least thirtsy, lathers the thickest volume with big bubbles, enough lather for 3 passes, face lathers well
Lea - thirsty but lathers easily, bigger bubbles and thicker foam, enough for 3 passes, face lathers well.
Wilkinson - very thirsty, bit more lather than Palmolive, enough lather for 3 passes, bowl lathering would improve it.
Palmolive - very thirsty, makes a paste with very fine bubbles that clogs razor, enough lather for 2.5 passes, bowl lathering would improve it.

POST SHAVE:
Palm Olive - feels like a moisturiser was on my skin and no post shave balm required.
Speick - felt very good, not creamy like the Palmolive but skin felt well hydrated.
La Toja - good feeling and didn't need shaving balm, good scent.
Wilkinson - very close to Palmolive but loses out due to more soaplike scent.
Lea - feels like a soap was on my face and needs aftershave balm.

Based just on first instinct I would rank them in order of preference overall like below. But the differences are so small that this order could easily change up, especially between the top 3.

OVERALL:
La Toja - quality product, interesting scent, easy latherer, good post feel
Speick - might not be for everyone, but very close (yet very different) to the La Toja
Palmolive - best priced to performance soap you can get, and very decent product
Lea - excellent lather but unexciting due to soap like scent
Wilkinson - very close to Palmolive but loses out due to price point and slightly poorer scent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jegreen

Re: Shaving Sticks compared

Postby jegreen » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:47 pm

INGREDIENT LISTS:

Palmolive:
Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocate, Glycerine, Parfum, Olea Europa Oile, Elaeis Guineensis Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, BHT, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Butylphenyl, Methylpropional, Citronellol, Eugenol, Hydroxyisohexyl, 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Linalool, CI 11680, CI 74260, CI 2490, CI 77891

Wilkinson:
Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocate, Glycerine, Parfum, Lanolin, Potassium Hydroxide, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hydroxycitreonellal, Hydroxyisohexyl, 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Limonene, Linalool, CI 51319, CI 74160, CI 77891

Lea:
Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Potassium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocate, Glycerine, Parfum, Lanolin, Perfum, Cocamide DEA, Titanium Dioxide, Potassium Hydroxide, Geraniol,Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide

La Toja:
Potassium Stearate, Potassium Cocoate, Potassium Palmitate, Sodium Stearate, Aqua, Glycerine, Sodium Cocate, Sodium Pallmitate, Coconut Acid, Parfum, Mineral Salts, Coumarin, Limonene, Linalool, Butylphenyl, Methylpropional, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, CI77891

Speick:
Potassium Stearate, odium Stearate, Potassium Tallowate, Aqua, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocate, Parfum, Glycerine, Valeriana Celtica Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, CI 15850:1, Benzyl Salicylate, Coumarin, Limonene, Linalool
jegreen

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:53 am

Great reviews JeGreen. I like the La toja stick. You van grate them down into a bowl, or use tehm as they are. Very good for travel.

Arko is very good as well.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Thug » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:25 am

Great reviews jegreen.

I only have 2, the Lea and the Williams and of the 2, I definitely prefer the Williams.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby Gaza365 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:19 am

I have the La Toja stick for when I'm traveling, i really like the scent, and I was caught out the first few times i used it by just how much later it does make. it also gives a really good shave IMO
Gaza365

Return to Shaving Cream & Soap Discussion