Pre Shave oil

Reviews and Opinions on all types of soaps, creams and croaps.

Pre Shave oil

Postby dini » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:19 am

I have a tube of this from Simpsons . I have been putting off using it as it smells like oil from a old style corner cafe chip fryer .

Those that use a pre shave oil , how best to incorporate into shave ?

Just apply onto face and rub in and then lather cream/soap as per usual ? Or rinse off and then lather as i would think that the oil would affect the lathering properties of whatever you are using ?
dini

Re: Pre Shave oil

Postby deepsouth » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:54 am

Preshave oil, you're faced with the same conundrum as I am - does it affect your lather? and more importantly will it collect on your brush? (being oil after all)
I only used my pre-shave oil on a few occasions and prefer the pre-shave cream (prep, prerasato)

With oil/cream, post hot shower method
- Rub oil onto dried face
- Wet face with hot water
- Face lather
- 3x pass shave and no further application of the shave oil

Do I feel a difference with oil vs cream? Not really, I find that if the blade is sharp AF (AsFeather) you don't need it. It wipes the stubble off as opposed to hacking at it with a dull blade.

I'm not convinced my straights are as sharp as the Artist club blades, they're not dull, but not as sharp. I will use a preshave with my regular straights though but not with the Feather.
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby BLES » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:17 pm

Only difference in my technique from the one of DS is that I first wet my face with warm water before applying the pre-shave oil. :thumbup:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby dini » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:29 pm

Thanks guys .

Now to just get past that stench. :oo
dini

Postby Jacquers » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:24 pm

I found that it clogged the razor up a bit and made rinsing it a bit more difficult.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Return to Shaving Cream & Soap Discussion