List of Local soap producers

Reviews and Opinions on all types of soaps, creams and croaps.

List of Local soap producers

Postby thetarn » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:24 pm

I have seen mention on this forum, and all over the internet of various South African soaps.

Being new to the wet shaving (with decent gear anyway) arena, I do not have much experience beyond palmshave and TSC soaps.

Would anyone be interested in providing a list of local artisanal soaps? If such even exist? I heard mention of a dagga soap in another thread. Probably not my speed. But that shows that someone is doing something different. And I like different!

Hoping to get my hand on some Hallows 2016 soon. (nudged a friend in the US. Think she may send me some). Also, my dad is bringing me some soap from the UK. Didn't ask him for anything specific. Figured I would rather (hopefully) be pleasantly surprised.

That said, I would like to try my hand at soap making. Have been doing a fair amount of reading on the matter. Gonna play around. Have some fun.
thetarn

Re: List of Local soap producers

Postby Thug » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:46 pm

I don't know of too many local Artisan soaps.

RVT stocks most of them, from his own line of excellent soaps, to the Wriggly Tin and the Wild Dagga.

ShavehavenSA also has his own soaps.

Both can be purchased through their web stores on Bid or Buy.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby JHBBlade » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:53 pm

I can highly recommend all of the RVT soaps with the following caveats, the soaps need some work in order to load the brush nicely and this is best done with either a short bloom (leave a thin layer of water on top for 5 min while you shower) or by using a brush with good backbone. The scents of the RVT soaps are up there with the very best. The Bay Rum being the only scent which for me is just good, not excellent. The lather performance never let's me down.

Wriggly Tin has the most amazing lather, it's unique and rich, BUT their scents are very uncomplicated and don't always work for me. They've brought out a Lime and Bergamot that I have high hopes for.....hoping they don't make a mess of Lime.

Dagga soap is a very good Tallow soap but has a very shy and modest scent, that you will not always even know is there.....also the soap comes in a bar and will need to be parmesan shaved into a nice tub. Try Wespack Body Butter tubs 150ml for a screw on clear container.

Shavehaven soap I've only tried his non Tallow Lavender which is good. I've a suspicion his Tallow soap is very good.

All local soaps with moustaches anywhere on the packaging are unlatherable and plain useless, if in doubt ask me I've probably tried it and wasted my money on it already to save you the trouble. Antsie's Rooibos soap is also unlatherable but great scent for washing armpits and charm pits.

Oh I forgot Reitzer Soap , it's a fairly good glycerine soap.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
JHBBlade

Postby JHBBlade » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:59 pm

I also forgot my favourite preshave, not technically a soap, but it's made by Tony the barber in Pretoria and Shavehaven stocks it. It's on a par or better than Prep but has a different feel.

JHBBlade

Postby JHBBlade » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:00 pm

Pre-Resato, that is.

JHBBlade

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:42 pm

Thanks for the feedback and support JHBBlade! :)
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby deepsouth » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:17 pm

Forgot about prerasato - that's good stuff, I really enjoy his aftershave. Frosty Bay rum is the one local soap that stands head and shoulders above the rest - keep in mind I love menthol - the new formula is just great !

Pretty much any soap with a beard logo is rubbish, perhaps with the exception of Bundubeard, not sure if he's launched yet...

Wriggly is a great latherer, but unfortunately I got the vanilla one - quite sweet, would've preferred the bay rum. I also enjoyed the dagga soap from rondavel, not too slick, but smells great.

Annatjie's soap has a nice container - tabac refill fits in it quite well, once you've finished using it as a shower soap.

I had the lavender hills and minty one from shavehaven and enjoyed them too.
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby Gaza365 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:22 pm

thetarn wrote:I would like to try my hand at soap making. Have been doing a fair amount of reading on the matter. Gonna play around. Have some fun.

Im planning on giving this a go myself, The youtube vids are very dramatic and made it seem far more exciting and dangerous than it really is! I read this post on the forum the otehr day (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=742 ) that got me iterested though, so im doing my homework, and ill cook up a batch for the fun of it all some time this year.
Gaza365

Return to Shaving Cream & Soap Discussion