Bundubeard soap review

Reviews and Opinions on all types of soaps, creams and croaps.

Bundubeard soap review

Postby deepsouth » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:29 am

Bundubeard : African Potato shave soap
First off, the round puck is huge 250g! It shipped (with instructions) in a short carton tube container, which with both plastic lids can be recycled. We recycle in the fairest Cape and it won't be heading to a landfill. The soap has a bearded logo and "Bundubeard" embossed on the top. The scent is great, earthy and clean. Scent is a personal thing, but I like this a lot. I'm not a great fan of overbearing sweet sickly scents, so if you are too, this may work.

Lathering this soap, took me three attempts with my Semogue owners club boar brush to get a good thick creamy lather from it. I test lathered in the palm of my hand, the night before my shave. FWIW.

At first try I thought, "logo of a beard on soap puck" curse strikes again. Nothing happened, like wiping the brush over wet plastic, the brush/soap did not load, my brush felt very oily. Still liked the scent.

Second attempt was better, but zero lather, the brush loaded more unlatherable soap. At this point, I washed the wooden handle of my brush with hand soap and thought how I was going to have to clean the bristles to get the oil out.

I then read the instructions. I left the puck wet, got the instructions from the car, sat down, had a read a realized that it mentions somewhere in the instructions something similar to "leaving your soap wet for the next day, gives a better performance" Lightbulb; the soap needed to hydrate, it's a hard soap and needs a bit of water. Blooming the soap in a container would work a treat. I have no container for this monster of a puck and will be grating it down to a manageable size. I'm not a fan of microwaving soap - messes with the composition in my view, also I'll get "the look" from my dear wife (again)

With my newfound knowledge; the third attempt was a success, the small amount of time in which I left the puck wet, bloomed the soap enough to load a good amount on the brush - also at this stage the embossed logo was gone and the curse lifted. A beautiful creamy and dense lather appeared ! Success ! I left the puck moist for the next day. The "oil" issue was gone too, am thinking that in manufacturing a film of oily residue remains on the surface, not a problem.

Onto shaving, Fatip Picollo with a fresh Rapira blade loaded. SOC Bristle.
I could easily face lather the soap the next morning. The soap had good glide and protection, the cushion was a bit lacking, but not enough to be worried at all. I did have a few double take passes over the same spot and felt that my skin was protected sufficiently.
Post shave skin feel was good - there's a lot of good stuff in this soap; my wife also liked the face scent after the shave before applying aftershave.
Ingredients: Pure vegetable glycerine, pure cold pressed coconut oil from the source in Mozambique. Bentonite clay. Rhassoul clay. No sodium laurel, lauryl or laureth sulphate, parabens or silicone.

TL/DR or Conclusion: The lathering instructions is needed, many blokes would toss the soap without understanding it nor reading it - I nearly did. I would add a one liner Bloom before use. Once understood, the soap is a keeper, it's manufactured locally with good ingredients and gave me a good shave. The price point is low for a large puck of hard soap with a good scent to boot. An aftershave balm with this scent would work for me. Other scents are available; Vanilla; Sandlewood, and memory fails me.

Some African potato info http://www.healthline.com/health/african-wild-potato#3
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Re: Bundubeard soap review

Postby Jacquers » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:48 am

Nice writeup and review :thumbup:

Seems like a decent soap to have and the price isn't bad either. It sounds like I would like the scent as well and I like that it's natural and doesn't have weird ingredients like a lot of modern soaps.

Post a pic of the lather if you can please.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:56 am

Interesting review there deepSouth. Glad you manged to get it worked out int the end. It does sound like a unique scent. The ingredient list looks good.

How much of the soap did you end up using?
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Thug » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:16 am

Great write up and review deepsouth.

In my experience, all hard soaps need blooming prior to use.
I generally leave the puck covered with water whilst I shower and then load afterwards after discarding the bloomed water.
Thug

Postby deepsouth » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:34 am

Indeed Thug, however, I never bloom MWF and could never understand why people struggled to lather it. It could be that my water works for it - hardness ph and all that. Valobra on the other hand, was the only hard soap I found that needs a bloom. I used to bloom reitzers perfect, but ever since I put it through the Kenwood - no more blooming needed.

I'm a fan of hard soaps too, much prefer them over creams.
deepsouth

Postby deepsouth » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:39 am

Jacquers wrote:Nice writeup and review :thumbup:

Seems like a decent soap to have and the price isn't bad either. It sounds like I would like the scent as well and I like that it's natural and doesn't have weird ingredients like a lot of modern soaps.

Post a pic of the lather if you can please.

Will post a pic, wanted to do it this morning...but, although the phone is waterproof - it's not slip, fall and crack in the shower proof :D

I didn't mention this, on my last palm lather last night I loaded the lather onto my dry face and let it dry a bit, there was zero soap 'burn' and a good indicator of the face feel. I wouldn't do this after a shave with 'raw' skin with any soap. (try this with Proraso - it flakes off, very weird)
deepsouth

Postby deepsouth » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:43 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Interesting review there deepSouth. Glad you manged to get it worked out int the end. It does sound like a unique scent. The ingredient list looks good.

How much of the soap did you end up using?

I smash lathered with wild abandon in the 'tests' and loaded a bit more than usual this morning, for no other reason than it being a maiden shave voyage. There is a lot of soap to go around though
deepsouth

Postby BLES » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:47 pm

Potato patato this is a great in depth review. I might just give this soap ago. Do you think it is the same, better or worse than Col Conk soaps?
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby deepsouth » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:43 pm

Hard to say, I've only used Col Conk once :D
deepsouth

Postby deepsouth » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:04 pm

I put the soap through the Kenwood on a fine grate and packed it into a container I had lying around. Did a quick test lather and the need for blooming is gone, very quick and easy to lather up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
deepsouth

Postby deepsouth » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:20 am

Addition:

I also bought some 'hair bars' from Bundubeard, small pucks of soap to wash your hair with. i've used it for two weeks now and I think they're great, I'll be getting some more. Hair comes out clean, the scent is similar to the shave soap - which is great.
deepsouth

Postby DAVEP » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:57 am

Hi All

I have recently seen on the net that guys bloom their soaps with ho water from the kettle then shower and then the extra trick that was new to me they now wet their face with the bloomed water. I tried this last night and it really seems to make a difference.
DAVEP

Postby AndreV » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:37 pm

DAVEP wrote:Hi All

I have recently seen on the net that guys bloom their soaps with ho water from the kettle then shower and then the extra trick that was new to me they now wet their face with the bloomed water. I tried this last night and it really seems to make a difference.

I've been using bloom water as a pre shave for quite a while now. works very well!!
Shaving like it should be done!!
AndreV

Return to Shaving Cream & Soap Discussion