Warning: Crabtree & Evelyn Hard Soap Problem

Reviews and Opinions on all types of soaps, creams and croaps.

Warning: Crabtree & Evelyn Hard Soap Problem

Postby JHBBlade » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:10 pm

I recently bought a beautiful teak wood bowl and puck of Nomad Soap and have to warn you all that I was bitterly disappointed with the soap performance. The soap lathers up quickly in an airy lather and is very slick but the lather has no stability, By the time you finish a pass the lather is disappearing rapidly and one is left with soap on you brush, but no lather for a second pass.

Now with hindsight I look on Google and cam across this post http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=40249

I've checked my ingredient list and Sodium Palmate is the first listed ingredient, so yes I bought the old formula, hence the terrible lather.

Apparently the new and apparently successful soap formulation starts with Potassium Palmate as the first listed ingredient.

I'll keep you all updated on what luck I have in complaining to C&E South Africa.
JHBBlade

Re: Warning: Crabtree & Evelyn Hard Soap Problem

Postby Riaanb » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:00 pm

Were did you pick the Nomad Soap? C&E older soaps have not been on the market for more then a year now?

I also have the old formula, i have the Sienna ans Sandalwood soap in puck form and have the Nomad in cream form, and i never had any problems with the performance.

I soak the top of the puck with warm water and load my brush up like i hate it :D , then go to the bowl to lather up. So far no problems.

But i have to say I did not do a face lather with the soap as yet....
"Every time I go and shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving. So I say, 'I'm gonna go shave, too.'
Mitch Hedberg
Riaanb

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:09 pm

I think Thug had a similar problem with hos one and now a puck of Mitchell's wool fat lives in his C&E bowl... :D
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Jacquers » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:31 pm

Would adding a drop or two of glycerin help?
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby Riaanb » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:25 am

Jacquers wrote:Would adding a drop or two of glycerin help?

It might, load try to load your brush with plenty of soap and drop some glycerin into a bowl and lather up, see what happens.

I know the new formula of the soap should contain Sodium Palmate and Potassium Palmate as 1st ingredients, if memory serve me right what i read on other forums last time.
"Every time I go and shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving. So I say, 'I'm gonna go shave, too.'
Mitch Hedberg
Riaanb

Postby admin » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:09 am

I shall sticky this Gents :idea:
Master Shave | The Home of Wet Shaving Enthusiasts |Links: Image Image
admin
Site Admin

Postby deepsouth » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:42 am

I'm not gone :-)

I'll grate that puppy up and splash a few drops of glycerine everywhere when repacking into another container, or bloom the sweet scent out of it :lol:
Way I see it - it's a lost cause, might as well try something to salvage a lather - thanks for the heads-up, I'm avoiding this

On another note - damn it's dry in JHB !
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby dini » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:51 pm

JHBBlade wrote:I recently bought a beautiful teak wood bowl and puck of Nomad Soap and have to warn you all that I was bitterly disappointed with the soap performance. The soap lathers up quickly in an airy lather and is very slick but the lather has no stability, By the time you finish a pass the lather is disappearing rapidly and one is left with soap on you brush, but no lather for a second pass.

Now with hindsight I look on Google and cam across this post http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=40249

I've checked my ingredient list and Sodium Palmate is the first listed ingredient, so yes I bought the old formula, hence the terrible lather.

Apparently the new and apparently successful soap formulation starts with Potassium Palmate as the first listed ingredient.

I'll keep you all updated on what luck I have in complaining to C&E South Africa.

If you have bought the set recently as in a month or so , I would also be annoyed as the reformulation was in stores about 3 months ago .
dini

Postby JHBBlade » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:43 pm

Riaanb wrote:Were did you pick the Nomad Soap? C&E older soaps have not been on the market for more then a year now?

I also have the old formula, i have the Sienna ans Sandalwood soap in puck form and have the Nomad in cream form, and i never had any problems with the performance.

I soak the top of the puck with warm water and load my brush up like i hate it :D , then go to the bowl to lather up. So far no problems.

But i have to say I did not do a face lather with the soap as yet....

Hi Riaanb, I picked this soap up from the Sandton store three weeks ago. Your experience is interesting. It looks like your soaps were maybe the formulation before the bad formation that I picked up, as that seems to be the online consensus. So my soap (bad) starts with Sodium Palmate top of the list see below
20160607_202554.jpg

The newest (post Mar 2016) formulation (good) starts with Potassium Palmate at the top of the list.
See below
tapatalk_1465587278754.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JHBBlade

Postby JHBBlade » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:44 pm

The pics have swapped around, will edit, when on pc.

JHBBlade

Postby JHBBlade » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:20 pm

deepsouth wrote:I'm not gone :-)

I'll grate that puppy up and splash a few drops of glycerine everywhere when repacking into another container, or bloom the sweet scent out of it
Way I see it - it's a lost cause, might as well try something to salvage a lather - thanks for the heads-up, I'm avoiding this

On another note - damn it's dry in JHB !

I did try a mild Bloom. I'm trying one final attempt with a very big and long Bloom and if not then it must be back to shop.

JHBBlade

Postby JHBBlade » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:25 am

So.
I watched a video last night of a guy who claimed to have solved a similar unlatherable situation with a Geo F Trumper hard soap buy blooming in very hot water for quite a long time.

So I tried the same method. Well, initially it looked promising as I loaded soap onto my boar brush. But all it really did was load a helluva lot more bad soap into the experience. When you finish your shave you spend 5 min trying to wash all the damned stuff off. The lather has the ability once you get to your 3rd pass to dissappear entirely. You almost get the feeling that some clown in the factory poured the bath soap formulation into the shave puck mould. If I had to describe the soap in one sentence it would be : zero, and I mean zero, lather stability.

JHBBlade

Postby Riaanb » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:39 am

JHBBlade wrote:So.
I watched a video last night of a guy who claimed to have solved a similar unlatherable situation with a Geo F Trumper hard soap buy blooming in very hot water for quite a long time.

So I tried the same method. Well, initially it looked promising as I loaded soap onto my boar brush. But all it really did was load a helluva lot more bad soap into the experience. When you finish your shave you spend 5 min trying to wash all the damned stuff off. The lather has the ability once you get to your 3rd pass to dissappear entirely. You almost get the feeling that some clown in the factory poured the bath soap formulation into the shave puck mould. If I had to describe the soap in one sentence it would be : zero, and I mean zero, lather stability.

EISH :oo now there is a expensive face soap for you....sorry to here you had that problem from such a wonderful product :cry: wondering if there shave cream will be better or have the same problem, maybe something to look in JHBBlade.
Mitch Hedberg
Riaanb

Postby JHBBlade » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:40 pm

I'm unable to edit my post with the pictures , and the pictures do not refer correctly to the text.

So just to be clear.
Formulation with Sodium Palmate listed at the top of the list = BAD
Formulation with Potassium Palmate at the top of the list = GOOD

It is interesting to know that ingredients are listed in order of quantity. Also this disaster has now piqued my interest in shaving soap composition.
Interesting article here on Na vs K soap properties & percentages.
https://shaversoaper.wordpress.com/2015 ... cription-3
Long but interesting you tube videos from Kevin Devine on shaving soap composition and making.
JHBBlade

Postby dini » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:08 am

Riaanb wrote:
JHBBlade wrote:So.

EISH :oo now there is a expensive face soap for you....sorry to here you had that problem from such a wonderful product :cry: wondering if there shave cream will be better or have the same problem, maybe something to look in JHBBlade.

Shave cream works fine . I have one of the large glass jars of the sandalwood version and have never had a bad shave with it .
dini

Postby Thug » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:09 am

I had similar issues with the C&E Moroccan Myrrh soap I bought and I'm sure I created a thread for that.
The soap is still doing duty on my shower as a face soap.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby JHBBlade » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:11 pm

Thanks Thug for the info. Glad to know I'm not the only person with expensive face soap.

Dini, from what I now know it is likely that the creams have a higher percentage of potassium soap (more liquid) than sodium soaps and so will make for better lathering than the hard soap pucks in general.

JHBBlade

Postby Chrisvo » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:48 pm

Wrong post.
Chrisvo

Return to Shaving Cream & Soap Discussion