Mitchells Wool Fat

Reviews and Opinions on all types of soaps, creams and croaps.

Mitchells Wool Fat

Postby dini » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:27 am

Got a puck of this a few weeks ago from RVT .

After all the reading on how fussy this soap is I decided to be a bit pro active and try a few tips provided by the Internet .

Put the soap into a small plastic container and poured some water in and left it to absorb that water .

Used the soap with an Semogue SOC boar ( again supplied by RVT , anybody seeing a pattern here ) . After a couple of minutes of loading and lathering I was really confused as to what the complaints where about , as this this soap performed like it should .

What a nice soap . I am not going to wax lyrical about cushion and slickness but I think this is actually a better soap than Tabac .

Will buy again .
dini

Re: Mitchells Wool Fat

Postby Thug » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:09 am

dini wrote:Got a puck of this a few weeks ago from RVT .

After all the reading on how fussy this soap is I decided to be a bit pro active and try a few tips provided by the Internet .

Put the soap into a small plastic container and poured some water in and left it to absorb that water .

Used the soap with an Semogue SOC boar ( again supplied by RVT , anybody seeing a pattern here ) . After a couple of minutes of loading and lathering I was really confused as to what the complaints where about , as this this soap performed like it should .

What a nice soap . I am not going to wax lyrical about cushion and slickness but I think this is actually a better soap than Tabac .

Will buy again .

in my opinion, MWF is one of the best out there and judging by a lot of comments on other Fora, there's a lot of wet shavers in agreement.
Thug

Postby dini » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:04 am

Thug wrote:
dini wrote:Got a puck of this a few weeks ago from RVT .

Will buy again .

in my opinion, MWF is one of the best out there and judging by a lot of comments on other Fora, there's a lot of wet shavers in agreement.

Definitely .
dini

Postby panthera » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:20 pm

I agree it is a great soap, but I live in an area with rock-hard well water and whilst I can get a great lather from it, the effort required for me to do so (not to mention a pretty sore forearm!) isn't always worth it.

The post-shave feeling is second to none though, truly great. I'm looking forward to trying a couple more lanolin soaps in the not-too-distant future and if the post-have compares to or beats MWF I'm afraid it may be retired from the rotation!
panthera

Postby Thug » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:33 pm

panthera wrote:I agree it is a great soap, but I live in an area with rock-hard well water and whilst I can get a great lather from it, the effort required for me to do so (not to mention a pretty sore forearm!) isn't always worth it.

The post-shave feeling is second to none though, truly great. I'm looking forward to trying a couple more lanolin soaps in the not-too-distant future and if the post-have compares to or beats MWF I'm afraid it may be retired from the rotation!

I know that this sounds like a royal PITA but how about blooming the soap with some distilled water? Maybe that will help with that arm-pump! :lol:
Thug

Postby panthera » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:51 pm

Thug wrote:
panthera wrote:I agree it is a great soap, but I live in an area with rock-hard well water and whilst I can get a great lather from it, the effort required for me to do so (not to mention a pretty sore forearm!) isn't always worth it.

I know that this sounds like a royal PITA but how about blooming the soap with some distilled water? Maybe that will help with that arm-pump! :lol:

I'll definitely give it a go :thumbup: .

I just have a bit of a mental block on doing that long term though, lathering shouldn't be that much work. I'll do it though and then pass judgment on if its worth it, because the post shave feel is immense.
panthera

Postby kportuesi » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:29 pm

panthera wrote:
Thug wrote:

I just have a bit of a mental block on doing that long term though, lathering shouldn't be that much work. I'll do it though and then pass judgment on if its worth it, because the post shave feel is immense.

I could swear I saw a thread or post on this forum saying they bloomed MWF for 24 hours and it fixed the lathering problems
:? hmmm
kportuesi

Postby panthera » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:45 pm

I know that this sounds like a royal PITA but how about blooming the soap with some distilled water? Maybe that will help with that arm-pump! :lol:[/quote]

I just have a bit of a mental block on doing that long term though, lathering shouldn't be that much work. I'll do it though and then pass judgment on if its worth it, because the post shave feel is immense.[/quote]

I could swear I saw a thread or post on this forum saying they bloomed MWF for 24 hours and it fixed the lathering problems
:? hmmm[/quote]

It did, unfortunately just for the 2 or so following shaves. I can still get the same quality of lather now, just with lots (and lots and lots) of loading and finicky water adjustments. After that the lather is brilliant, I just question whether it is worth the effort or whether it is easier to get a better result with other lanolin containing soaps.
panthera

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:48 am

All the above suggestions are great, IMO, the key thing with MWF is to try and transfer the soap (in paste form) onto the brush. This is the key thing for me when it comes to loading soaps. You may see a lot of suds and foam, but getting the soap onto the brush is key to a good lather. (for me).
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby dini » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:43 am

Another option which I have found to get great results is rub the soap on your face and then lather with a wet brush .

Actually has become my preferred method of using this soap .
dini

Postby panthera » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:52 pm

Thug wrote:

In the interest of science (!) I tried blooming DRH Arlington and soaking my brush in distilled water before shaving today. DRH is usually a strong performer in my hard water anyway, but I have to say loading time was cut by half in this water. I pretty much exclusively face lather too and i felt the lather 'took' a bit faster on my face today.

Will try again with MWF when the mood for battle takes me..
panthera

Postby Thug » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:27 pm

panthera wrote:
Thug wrote:

In the interest of science (!) I tried blooming DRH Arlington and soaking my brush in distilled water before shaving today. DRH is usually a strong performer in my hard water anyway, but I have to say loading time was cut by half in this water. I pretty much exclusively face lather too and i felt the lather 'took' a bit faster on my face today.

Will try again with MWF when the mood for battle takes me..

Glad to hear it worked with the DRH.
Thug

Postby dini » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:02 am

After using this soap a few shaves in a row , it seems I am in the minority of having some sort of extreme reaction to lanolin or some other ingredient.

Back to the cupboard to be an occasional use item .
dini

Postby Thug » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:14 am

I used MWF this morning.

Bloomed whilst in the shower and soaked the Boar.

I didn't even have to load for my normal 30 seconds before I managed to get a rich creamy lather and had more than enough for 3+ passes.

My only disappointment is the relative lack of scent.
Thug

Postby JAYDEE » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:13 am

The MWF is a cracking good soap but it turned my face and neck so red from irritation that I looked like I was sunburnt. It’s unfortunately hands-off for me. :(
JEFF
JAYDEE

Postby jegreen » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:04 am

I was originally put off by the lack of scent even though it lathered up exceptionally easily. Sold it after about 10 uses, started missing it, and bought another one a month later that is still lying sealed in my unused soap box. One of those soaps that you need to try once!
jegreen

Postby ShavingB » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:31 pm

Oh man this is a top notch Shaving soap for me, I love the lanolin aftershave feel, can’t be beaten by any other soap. I like the subtle manly scent, whips up a good lather. Maybe not as slick as some but I can compromise that for this aftershave feel.
If I could only choose 3 soaps, this would have to be in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ShavingB

Postby JAYDEE » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:49 pm

It’s really strange how a mutton tallow soap like Stirling Electric Sheep treats my skin so well. Now that I think of it the Musgo Real Classic cream is also made with lanolin and it has also been known to cause irritation or burning on many men’s skin including mine, occasionally.
JEFF
JAYDEE

Return to Shaving Cream & Soap Discussion