Brush reknotting

Tell us all about the brush that creates the magic.

Brush reknotting

Postby JHBBlade » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:45 am

So here will be the process of removing and replacing a few knots on some vintage brushes. Will also clean up handles while the knots are out.

Step 1.
Cut the bristles off flush with the handle.
Step. 2
Drilled out the brushes on drill press using 20mm flat bottom drill shown in pic.

On the cream rubberset the ID is 19mm and the edge seemed very delicate so there i used long nose pliers to pull out the knot which fortunately was very loose. It basically fell out once one or two tufts were pulled. It is also interesting that TE brush handle ID is reinforced with what seems to be a stainless steel ring. Visible in photo.

Step 3
I used a tiny sandpaper bit on a drill to remove excess material on inside of the handles. Note the handles have id's of 20, 21 and 22mm so the 20 mm drill bit only fully cleans up the 20mm handle.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
JHBBlade

Re: Brush reknotting

Postby deepsouth » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:59 am

A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby ShavingB » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:21 pm

Looking good JHBBlade!! I'm interested to see the progress and finished products

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ShavingB

Postby JHBBlade » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:15 pm

From DS:

Where will you be ordering from? I'll want to buy a couple of knots too, there's a 3 band 24mm synthetic from tgn I'm keen on, but am still shopping around.

Are you widening the knot holes?

Answer to DS:
Hi DS.

No. I'm not widening holes. I don't like the look. There was a stunning reknotted Owl Co. Brush on eBay that I would have bought except for the fact that the owner had drilled out the knot by 2mm and it ruined the proportions.

I will be buying from TGN. Just waiting for a few handles to come in from OS before I finalise my decision.

I'm looking for a fully blond synthetic knot to fit to the fuller nylon Base but so far I'm only seeing imitation badger colours in the synthetics.

I will also buy some knots from China Ebay to see how they compare to TGN.

JHBBlade

Postby JHBBlade » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:20 pm

This is the brush I'm referring to. A TGN knot in brush with hole drilled to larger size. Proportions ruined IMHO. Image

JHBBlade

Postby deepsouth » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:46 pm

That is a bit of a hack job, and the loft is too tall for the handle.
I've seen some that was done up quite well and the ratios spot on .

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
deepsouth

Postby Thug » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:44 pm

Very nice JHBBlade.

Maybe RVT will sell you a couple of knots?
Thug

Postby JHBBlade » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:29 pm

Good thinking Thug.

Yes DS, loft is another ballgame altogether......as generally the knot makers specify diameter but not necessarily loft. And then there's the question of how deep to set the knot.

I'm thinking of making a test - rig handle to put knots into and use them at different depths of set. But we'll see. Let me first procure a few knots ;-)

JHBBlade

Postby deepsouth » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:40 am

I like your jig idea, as you can experiment with different settings. I imagine it as an adjustable brush knot, vernier caliper type of mechanism to actively determine the depth ( or just various hollowed out pine rods at different depths ) The wild card being the actual adhesive...
deepsouth

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:55 am

Hi all,

We have done a lot of trials and testing, and you need to find a good balance between loft height and backbone. For our 24 mm knots, we sink the knot in to a depth of 16mm (The enitre knot heigt is 67 mm) so the loft will threfore be aound 51mm. I would say buy the knot firt, and then work it out from there.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby deepsouth » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:52 am

That's great advice RVT, I saw 2:1 ratio's in some threads but that is a general measurement. Another thing I wish to do is to add some heft to the brush (knot hole permitting)

I am dumbfounded by the coloring (or lack of) for the synth knots, possibly why I gravitated towards the black ones. It's 2017 can't we have variety green or red or whatever - what's with the 'let's make it look like x badger - even some boar knots are colored this way.

C'est incroyable....
deepsouth

Postby deepsouth » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:01 am

some googling. looks like we can order from them directly via facebook/paypal and have it delivered . looks to be 10USD knot bad

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100012569861743&fref=nf
deepsouth

Return to Brush Talk