Making own brush handle

Tell us all about the brush that creates the magic.

Making own brush handle

Postby jegreen » Sat May 13, 2017 1:10 pm

I saw a pic online of the Semogue 2013 SE and thought that it looked terrific in the olive wood. Then I found an advert in a local paper about someone selling olive wood logs and I bought 2 pieces to try make my own brush! I'm hoping to get to it in July, as the next 2 months I don't have much time available to dedicate to this. I have zero experience turning wood but have access to a lathe so think it will be quite fun to go play around on it. I'm measuring up different brush handles and have a folder full pictures of handles that I like, so getting a feel for measurements.

I've ordered 2 knots from Whipped Dog (silvertip and synthetic) and the plan is to turn out a few handles and hope that 2 of them are usable!

The 1st pic is me busy squaring off one of the olive logs to maybe make a box if I can get some solid planks out. The 2nd pic is an olive log that I've cut up into 45x45x100mm blanks for turning. The wood seems dry enough but now I'm going to leave it for a few weeks to dry further. This could end up a mess or I'm hoping to make something quite nice here.

So not much to show yet, but it looks feasible.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jegreen

Re: Making own brush handle

Postby Thug » Sat May 13, 2017 1:36 pm

Very nice jegreen.

Look forward to further posts.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby Jacquers » Sat May 13, 2017 6:18 pm

Cool project :thumbup:
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby deepsouth » Sat May 13, 2017 6:25 pm

I'd suggest you cut them a bit thinner for scales though...
:D
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby jegreen » Sat May 13, 2017 8:45 pm

But I like a really solid grip :mrgreen:
jegreen

Postby Gaza365 » Sat May 13, 2017 11:10 pm

I look forward to seeing the finished product

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Gaza365

Postby jegreen » Tue May 16, 2017 8:06 am

Bit of a quicker update than I expected! Knot's arrived yesterday from Whipped Dog after 4 weeks. Both 24mm knots.

On the left is the synthetic. Larry (owner) classifies it as a Gen 3.5, and online speculation is that it is the same as the Ubersoft. On the right is a silvertip badger. I cannot believe how soft these brushes feel, having ever only used boar brushes. I like a bit more backbone than splay, and he recommended that I sink the synthetic 12 - 14 mm and the badger 18 - 20 mm deep, I could probably have bought knots from China for a lower price, but this company has a solid reputation and at least I know that I'm going to get a well reviewed product.

So know I've got all the pieces in place and will finalise handle dimensions over the next 2 weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jegreen

Postby Thug » Tue May 16, 2017 8:29 am

Very nice jegreen.

Larry probably gets his knots from some source in China anyway. :D
Thug

Postby O_P » Tue May 16, 2017 9:21 am

Nice project jegreen, looking forward to see how they turn out.
O_P

Postby Bundubeard » Fri May 19, 2017 6:28 am

Very nice! I think that is wild olive? Any idea on the finish you are going to use?
Boendoebaard/Bundubeard

Kry daai boendoe van jou gesig af/Get that bundu off your face
Bundubeard

Postby DAVEP » Fri May 19, 2017 9:20 am

Hello Bundoebaard nice to see you on again. Your hair soap is running low again :OOO
DAVEP

Postby jegreen » Fri May 19, 2017 11:03 am

Bundubeard wrote:Very nice! I think that is wild olive? Any idea on the finish you are going to use?

It is indeed wild olive. They grow like weeds here in the Cape but don't often see thick pieces like this. The preferred finish seems to be superglue on all the forums that I've read.
jegreen

Postby JHBBlade » Tue May 23, 2017 7:46 pm

Jegreen....... I can't recall where you stay, but I came across a very knowledgeable chap who runs a shop not far from me. I run past the shop frequently but only got to visit it this last Saturday. The guy is focused on wood turning for pens, but he has polishes, tools and tons of experience.

Mr Woodturner
7 Susman Ave, Blairgowrie, Randburg, 2194
076 394 7138

https://goo.gl/maps/Pur2BRYJ2UP2

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
JHBBlade

Postby jegreen » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:10 pm

Finally got to spend the entire day working on this and really had to drag myself away. My father has a great setup so quite a pleasure having everything that you need there. Spent a few hours messing around on scrap wood before I hit the olive.

Pic 1 = all my planning to get an idea of handle dimensions.
Pic 2 = first attempt. The handle on the right hand side is one that I really love (inspired by the base of a Wolf Whiskers Raptor) but I messed up the one end completely as it was supposed to be a symmetrical handle. . The handle on the left was Inspired by Mastro Livi Spoleto brush but the wood developed some cracks and I also ran a bit out of space. So never got further than the pic and stopped it there.
Pic 3 = a much better result. In the middle is a handle inspired as a combination of a RR400/Omega 10098 (and realised that it also looks just like one of RVT's new brushes). There is a knot on the side not shown which is not ideal but love the handle. On the right hand side is a handle inspired by the Semogue 2000 and below it I attempted to make a stand for a razor that I saw online. On the left are some scales I'm working on.

The wood polishes up extremely well and I'm still in 2 minds if it's worth sealing it with something. So all in all a very productive day!
jegreen

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:03 am

jegreen wrote:Finally got to spend the entire day working on this and really had to drag myself away. My father has a great setup so quite a pleasure having everything that you need there. Spent a few hours messing around on scrap wood before I hit the olive.

Pic 2 = first attempt. The handle on the right hand side is one that I really love (inspired by the base of a Wolf Whiskers Raptor) but I messed up the one end completely as it was supposed to be a symmetrical handle. . The handle on the left was Inspired by Mastro Livi Spoleto brush but the wood developed some cracks and I also ran a bit out of space. So never got further than the pic and stopped it there.
Pic 3 = a much better result. In the middle is a handle inspired as a combination of a RR400/Omega 10098 (and realised that it also looks just like one of RVT's new brushes). There is a knot on the side not shown which is not ideal but love the handle. On the right hand side is a handle inspired by the Semogue 2000 and below it I attempted to make a stand for a razor that I saw online. On the left are some scales I'm working on.

The wood polishes up extremely well and I'm still in 2 minds if it's worth sealing it with something. So all in all a very productive day!

Well done JeGreen. Very nice work.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby JHBBlade » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:22 am

Pretty darned awesome Jegreen.

I've a big chunk of +150 yr old oak that came from a big oak on my late grandmothers smallholding. I've plans to make heirloom brushes for all her great grandchildren. (and myself and my brother)

Have a look at wood stabilising. There is a south African guy who's done it with a consol jar and a wine vacuum pump. It looks like an awesome solution for razor scales and brush handles if you want them to last forever.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
JHBBlade

Postby deepsouth » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:09 pm

Wow - those are looking top (k)notch ! Well done - you make me want to look for a lathe!
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby jegreen » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:52 pm

deepsouth wrote:Wow - those are looking top (k)notch ! Well done - you make me want to look for a lathe!

It's big fun! Easy to turn a rough shape, but to get all the ridges out to allow sanding is difficult and that's where you easily do damage. I went thorugh quite a few pieces of wood before attempting this. Sanded with 220, 400, 800 grit and then a thin offcut of olive wood to give it that really glossy look.
jegreen

Postby ShavingB » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:41 pm

jegreen wrote:Finally got to spend the entire day working on this and really had to drag myself away. My father has a great setup so quite a pleasure having everything that you need there. Spent a few hours messing around on scrap wood before I hit the olive.

Really great jegreen keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ShavingB

Postby Thug » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:47 am

Well done jegreen and great scales as well!!
Thug

Next

Return to Brush Talk