Blades under Magnification / Microscope

Discuss and Review the cutting edge.

Blades under Magnification / Microscope

Postby ShavingB » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:56 pm

I thought I should start a separate topic for this because we are polluting other topics with blades under magnification. I think it would also be nice for all the info to be in one place.

I'll start with this photo I just took of two blades lying side by side. This is interesting because I chose a blade that I find comfortable (Astra Superior Platinum on the right) and one that cuts me to pieces (SuperMax Super Stainless Green on left).

You can see from left to right the SuperMax blade then bevel and then a gap between the blades and then the Astra bevel and then blade.

This is the first time I have ever looked at DE blades under a microscope and the thought was initiated by @Mikaar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ShavingB

Re: Blades under Magnification / Microscope

Postby Mikaar » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:13 pm

There's quite a big difference between the two of them. I'm not sure if I'm looking at the picture correctly, but it looks like the astra on the right has a wedge type edge that is much finer and the super max has a rougher edge. Almost as if one is a hollow ground and the other a wedge in straight razor terms.

Are you using the magnifier on your phone or is this with just the normal camera through the your microscope? It looks like your photo is a bit "filtered" if that's the correct term, to enhance the details of the image. The iPhone magnifier had a load of different filters and colors to do the same thing but I wasn't sure how to use it properly.

Mikaar

Postby Thug » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:17 pm

Looks like the Supermax has a very rough looking double bevel, whereas the Astra bevel is what one would expect a Straight Razors bevel to look like.

Thug

Postby ShavingB » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:19 pm

@mikaar, the Astra bevel on the right is quite dark then the dark line down the middle is a gal between the blades then the shiny stripe is in the bevel of the SuperMax.

No filter, I'm just using normal camera mode without magnification through a proper microscope.

ShavingB

Postby Mikaar » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:57 pm

ShavingB wrote:@mikaar, the Astra bevel on the right is quite dark then the dark line down the middle is a gal between the blades then the shiny stripe is in the bevel of the SuperMax.

No filter, I'm just using normal camera mode without magnification through a proper microscope.

Oh okay. Sorry, I wasn't looking at the picture properly. If you compare any other blades please post their pics as well.

Mikaar

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:36 am

Very cool pic ShavingB! Interesting to se the Supermax double bevel under magnification. Does look a bit less refined. The Astra edge looks very smooth.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby deepsouth » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:36 am

Love it - are you doing more? I'd love to see snaps like these on different blades too
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby Mikaar » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:22 am

I tried out the Treet platinum and Voshkod today. Two of the smoothest blades I've used so far. The picture quality is still quite low unfortunately.
First up is the Treet

Now with a voshkod on top.

Voshkod on the left and Treet on the rightImage

Mikaar

Postby deepsouth » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:14 am

Oh yeah !! This is very interesting to !!

I have an idea. Could you perhaps take fresh blade and pics, do a 3 pass shave and pics of the same blade for each shave repeat for 3/4 shaves?

I'd love to see the deterioration on the edge

This could be a real fun exercise, macro shots of blade edge deterioration with a specific razor/blade and soap to check and compare? Now I'm wondering if we all have the same razor/soap in our arsenal - then we can all do the above and start a debricking YMMV, sure there's other factors like facial hair growth and time of day of shave - but it's not science if you're not writing it down. I've seen camps of R41s, R89, Gillettes here and am damn near sure we all the same soap (RVT, Tabac, Arko?)

I haven't found my macro lenses - I actually haven't seen my DSLR for a while. Sure it's in a drawer/cupboard somewhere, but I'm keen to try
deepsouth

Postby Thug » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:15 am

Great detail Mikaar.

That Treet looks as chipped as hell.
Thug

Postby deepsouth » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:18 am

Thug wrote:Great detail Mikaar.

Could be why my first shave with a Treet is meh and the following ones are good ? I love these type of "missions"
deepsouth

Postby Mikaar » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:09 pm

deepsouth wrote:Oh yeah !! This is very interesting to !!

I have an idea. Could you perhaps take fresh blade and pics, do a 3 pass shave and pics of the same blade for each shave repeat for 3/4 shaves?

I'd love to see the deterioration on the edge

This could be a real fun exercise, macro shots of blade edge deterioration with a specific razor/blade and soap to check and compare? Now I'm wondering if we all have the same razor/soap in our arsenal - then we can all do the above and start a debricking YMMV, sure there's other factors like facial hair growth and time of day of shave - but it's not science if you're not writing it down. I've seen camps of R41s, R89, Gillettes here and am damn near sure we all the same soap (RVT, Tabac, Arko?)

I haven't found my macro lenses - I actually haven't seen my DSLR for a while. Sure it's in a drawer/cupboard somewhere, but I'm keen to try
That sounds like an interesting idea to try out. Both of these pics were with fresh blades, I'll take a couple of pics later with used blades

Mikaar

Postby Mikaar » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:10 pm

Thug wrote:Great detail Mikaar.

Yeah I does look quite bad compared to the Voshkod. It's strange how they still feel smooth though

Mikaar

Postby c4Chucky » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:32 pm

Very interesting. Good to see how different the machining is on different blades.
I wonder how this would compare to a Mach 3 blade.

I would love to see some straight razors as well.
Shave Awesome!

www.razorrebel.co.za
c4Chucky

Postby Mikaar » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:02 pm

c4Chucky wrote:Very interesting. Good to see how different the machining is on different blades.
I wonder how this would compare to a Mach 3 blade.

I would love to see some straight razors as well.
Cartridge blades will also be interesting to see. I have some Shick 5 blade cartridges lying around

Mikaar

Postby ShavingB » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:33 pm

@Mikaar Awesome!!! That explains why I had one of the worst Shaves ever with a Treet!! It was a memorable day...

@deepsouth, sounds like that could be interesting and worth looking at.

ShavingB

Postby Mikaar » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:33 pm

@ShavingB But I get some of my best shaves with a Treet....another case of YMMV

I'm trying to make sense of it though and I have a kind of far fetched theory. The feather proguard blades have that system where those little notches that are supposed to protect your skin and give a smoother shave. It's possible that all of that micro chipping on the edge of the Treet could be having the same effect on a smaller scale. But being on such a small scale compared to the feathers they would serve more as serrations than as guards.

I gave one of my friends who's starting out DE shaving a couple of Treets to try and he had the same result as you. He had a terrible shave and got cut up really badly.

Mikaar

Postby Mikaar » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:05 am

I found this short write up by Mantic59 on the same topic.
http://sharpologist.com/2014/07/best-razor-blade.html

Mikaar

Postby ShavingB » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:17 pm

Mikaar wrote:I found this short write up by Mantic59 on the same topic.
http://sharpologist.com/2014/07/best-razor-blade.html

Great link thank you Mikaar!!

Interesting about the Treet.. the Platinum one really did cut me everywhere but the Carbon one was better...

ShavingB

Postby ShavingB » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:43 pm

deepsouth wrote:Love it - are you doing more? I'd love to see snaps like these on different blades too

I will definitely do more, if anyone has some suggestions or requests I can do it if I have the blades...

ShavingB

Next

Return to Blade Discussion