DE Blade shoot out Week Thirty One – Minora

Discuss and Review the cutting edge.

DE Blade shoot out Week Thirty One – Minora

Postby Gaza365 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:50 am

This weeks soap was Wriggly tin Bergmont and Lime.

The Lather was just as good as the Vanilla Patchuli from a couple weeks back. Easy Lathering, with good rich lather and a little soap goes a long way too. My nose managed to pick out the limes most prominently in this soap and gave me quite a vivid recollection of sipping on a Mojito. Next time I head off for a beach holiday, ill definitely drag this along, since that’s what it made me think of

Down to Business…

Shave 1: The first half of my first pass was quite frankly awful. So much so that I thought something had to be wrong. Which it was. I missed that the blade shifted when tightening the razor down, and it was sitting a bit skew. With that rectified, back to the shave which was about 3000% better now. The shave on the remaining parts of my face were smooth, comfortable, with no pulling or tugging. After 3 passes, I had a terrific BBS result. However, sadly I had a pretty nasty bit of irritation on my right cheek where I had started the shave with the off center blade.

Shave 2: After a couple of days of break from shaving to “reset my face” I had my second shave and it started well.. and ended well too. A good comfortable shave, no pulling or tugging, and a BBS result. This shave was comfortable and mild from start to finish. I fortunately had no signs of irritation or harassment, and my face felt good with this blade. the blade has a Mild feel, yet its more than efficient enough to give that smooth feeling

Shave 3: this shave was just about identical to shave 2, although it was the very next day, I felt no discernible difference between two days of growth and one day. And even day after day, my skin was still feeling comfortable and unharassed. The comfort and smoothness of the shave was unchanged, with no deterioration I could detect.

Shave 4: a couple days of growth again today, and the shave was again identical to the previous two. Smooth, Comfortable and mild. The blade seems to have lost no performance that I could pick up, and the result was BBS all the way except for a spot just under my nose that the wife was quick to point out I had missed :( everyone’s a critic!

Overall (TLDNR)
After sorting out my alignment issues, I felt this blade performed excellently and constantly, from start to finish, putting in a smooth, comfortable performance, and giving a BBS close shave. There was no pulling or tugging, and the blade showed excellent durability. Easily a daily use blade this, and I think it will go a good number of shaves further than the 4 I put it through.

Next week: Undecided… This was the last blade in my original list of blades to test… I might keep the momentum going, in which case I’ll do the Dorco blue, but I’m also very keen to revisit some of my favorites in a Better razor.
Gaza365

Re: DE Blade shoot out Week Thirty One – Minora

Postby Jacquers » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:01 am

Excellent blades, I was happily surprised when I first tried them, definitely a keeper for me. It seems like most of the blades coming from St. Petersburg are winners. I think we need to get some Nacets to you to compare.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby deepsouth » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:45 am

Most excellent review - the Minora is great blade and amongst my favorites. A different razor can make a huge difference in blade performance - do give it a go !
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby Thug » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:17 am

Well done Gaza.

I admire the perserverance in your weekly testing and reviews.
Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:46 am

Nic review Gaza. I got gifted a couple tucks from BLES. These blades are good (although the price has shot up in recent times).
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby c4Chucky » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:33 pm

Nice review Gaza,

I haven't tried the Minora blades myself, but I think I'll give it a go.

Just a question, on adjusting the blade. Is it the handle or the blade's fault that it didn't slot in correctly the first time?
I mean, are the slots on the blade possibly too wide, or do you have to make certain the blade slots in correctly every time when replacing it with a new one?
Shave Awesome!

www.razorrebel.co.za
c4Chucky

Postby Mikaar » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:07 pm

Great review Gaza! I tried out these blades once when I was starting DE shaving and haven't used them again. I made a mistake of buying tuck at a flea market once and only realized they were fake when I got home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikaar

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:49 pm

Mikaar wrote:Great review Gaza! I tried out these blades once when I was starting DE shaving and haven't used them again. I made a mistake of buying tuck at a flea market once and only realized they were fake when I got home

Can't go wrong ith a Mirona! :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Gaza365 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:16 pm

c4Chucky wrote:Nice review Gaza,

I haven't tried the Minora blades myself, but I think I'll give it a go.

Just a question, on adjusting the blade. Is it the handle or the blade's fault that it didn't slot in correctly the first time?
I mean, are the slots on the blade possibly too wide, or do you have to make certain the blade slots in correctly every time when replacing it with a new one?

The razor I've been using since I started testing is a real cheapy, and it has a bit of play with the blade alignment I have better razors now, and those ones are more foolproof, but this is the one I settled on for all the test and have stuck with, so I need to just make sure the blade doesn't move when I tighten it down, it slipped by me this time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Gaza365

Postby Gaza365 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:18 pm

Jacquers wrote:Excellent blades, I was happily surprised when I first tried them, definitely a keeper for me. It seems like most of the blades coming from St. Petersburg are winners. I think we need to get some Nacets to you to compare.

I'm happy to give anything a go, I have some spas at Shipito at the moment, I might pick up some navels and the 7 o clock platinums before I have it sent out

Gaza365

Postby Gaza365 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:19 pm

Mikaar wrote:Great review Gaza! I tried out these blades once when I was starting DE shaving and haven't used them again. I made a mistake of buying tuck at a flea market once and only realized they were fake when I got home

I read about the fakes somewhere, so I was careful to get my tuck from mastershave the first time. I did notice that the minor as are quite readily available at most pick n pays in the cape, but I haven't seen them at my local haunts all that much here in jhb

Gaza365

Postby Mikaar » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:43 pm

Gaza365 wrote:

I read about the fakes somewhere, so I was careful to get my tuck from mastershave the first time. I did notice that the minor as are quite readily available at most pick n pays in the cape, but I haven't seen them at my local haunts all that much here in jhb

They're also easily available in Kzn, most places will have minora or super max. I haven't shaved with them...I expect them to be as good as a Lion blade

Mikaar

Postby Gaza365 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:46 pm

Mikaar wrote:
Gaza365 wrote:

They're also easily available in Kzn, most places will have minora or super max. I haven't shaved with them...I expect them to be as good as a Lion blade

I had the same opinion of the super max greens they are in every clicks I've been to, and pretty cheap if you pick them up at Marko, but I was actually pleasantly surprised with them.

They give a very good shave considering how cheap they are

Gaza365

Postby deepsouth » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:54 pm

Keep in mind that the following blades come from St Petersburg (PPI)
Gillette 7 yellow
Astra
Polsilver super Iridium
Minora
Nacet
Voskhod
Permasharp
etc.
If your Minora is cheap and nasty, they may come from the Sandton plant (fakes)
I'm quite critical when buying them as you can be buying fakes from your local supermarket easily (they don't know the difference)
The real deal is pretty darned good in my opinion, but I also like Polsilver, Voskhod, Nacet etc

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby c4Chucky » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:38 am

Mirona??? That is hilarious!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I also had an incident like that and bought a Gilleme!
:oo :oo :oo
Shave Awesome!

www.razorrebel.co.za
c4Chucky

Postby c4Chucky » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:42 am

I've seen these available at Makro. But cannot confirm if they are the Sandton ones or imported. Haven't tried it yet.

https://www.makro.co.za/groceries-and-t ... --547404SW
Shave Awesome!

www.razorrebel.co.za
c4Chucky

Postby BLES » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:13 am

Chucky, the one's at Makro is the real deal. I bought mine in bulk from them. :thumbup:

Great review Gaza. I love these blades! :D
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby dini » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:46 am

This blade ïs very good . Not sure whether its the decades of experience and fine tuning or just big budget but I dont think I have ever had a bad shave with a blade from the PPI plant .

If I didnt have a stash of blades to last me into another life time , these are in the category of "if you could only have one blade for the rest of your life .......
dini

Postby BLES » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:01 pm

Well said Dini. :clap: :clap: :clap:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby jegreen » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:31 pm

I haven't used a blade with Platinum in the name that I don't like! Minora is great.
jegreen

Next

Return to Blade Discussion