Isoprophyl Alcohol

Discuss and Review the cutting edge.

Isoprophyl Alcohol

Postby DirtyOldBeggar » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:28 am

Sup guys. Just wanted to check with you experts if anyone uses the above on the DE blades between shaves? I've never heard of doing this, but my brother says I should use it to stop skin bumps and disinfect the blade (this is like a brain wave to me). I normally dismantle the razor and let the blade dry out.

TIA
DirtyOldBeggar

Re: Isoprophyl Alcohol

Postby deepsouth » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:26 am

Likewise, I push the blade out and leave it behind my swivel mirror - pop open the razor and towel wipe before storing. So far I had no problems. Skin bumps sounds like a cartridge razor problem (slicing the hair and leaving a sliver behind)
Not sure if the alcohol would make a difference. Does your brother use DE's - if so has he tried a sharper blade / more frequent blade swops or a more aggressive razor perhaps?
I found that if I overuse a blade it creates problems - tugging and the resultant nick. I do shave on the "aggressive" scale binning DE blades (if I use them) after three shaves, even if I could squeeze some more from it
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby BLES » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:23 am

I do. I pour ¼ cup of Isoprophyl Alcohol and 20-25 drops of lemon essential oil into an jar I use to dip my razor in after use before storing. Lemon oil has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties and is commonly used for cleansing the body, metal surfaces, dishes, and clothes. If it really works for bumps I honestly don’t know but keeping things hygienic puts my mind to ease. ;)

The alcohol dries the metal service of the razor quickly without leaving spots and the lemon oil gives it a pretty good shine. :thumbup:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby DirtyOldBeggar » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:05 pm

Thanks guys.

@deepsouth: he is new to wet shaving and working through the RVT sampler pack. But he has extremely sensitive skin so just taking all precautions which, this one he surprised me with. Yep pretty much 2/3 shaves max depending on the blade.

@bles: I will try it your way, I bought rubbing alcohol from dischem https://dischem.co.za/product-view/23487/dis-chem-rubbing-alcohol-500ml at 91% and a spritz dispenser
DirtyOldBeggar

Postby dini » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:17 pm

I use a bit of the rubbing alcohol after shaving, if I only intend to use a balm as after shave .Apply directly to face .

Not sure how effective it actually is though :oo :oo
dini

Postby deepsouth » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:52 pm

I would also recommend an alum block, I still -to this day- wipe down post shave with a wet alum block. Astringent and antiseptic properties, plus my skin feels unhappy without it.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=2150
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:11 pm

I agree with DeepSouth. No shave is complete without Alum. An Ice block works very well too.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Return to Blade Discussion