DE Blade shoot out Week Thirty – Derby Blue

Discuss and Review the cutting edge.

DE Blade shoot out Week Thirty – Derby Blue

Postby Gaza365 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:45 am

Goodness... “Week” thirty, I suddenly realized that I can probably go a whole year without using the same blade twice if I buy a couple more blades in. :lol:

First things first, a couple notes on my soap for this round (Personal thoughts). I used the ShaverheavenSA Lumberjack soap

This soap whips into a lather with a fair amount of ease, and was a good rich lather. I enjoyed the woody smell, which made me feel like I was in a woodworking shop again. Overall, it’s a top notch soap with good slip and decent cushion, and I’m glad I picked it up while it was still available

Shave 1: I had to remember to give this blade a fair rating, and not compare it to last week’s Polsilver… But, in its own merit the Derby blue Gave me a good comfortable shave. It was smooth, without any pulling or tugging, and I didn’t feel it had any lack of sharpness like I felt on the Derby Extra the blade however was more efficient at dealing with my stubble than the Extra, and I got a nice BBS Shave from this blade with no irritation or razor burn. (I did miss the feel of the polsilver though)

Shave 2: The blade once again gave a smooth, comfortable shave with no pulling or tugging. The blade is a good mild shave, there was no irritation or razor burn, and I found it was an easy blade to shave without getting any nicks or weepers. it once again gave me a close BBS shave, I did feel that my face was a little less stingy when I used my alum this time around than the first shave. It seems to have settled a bit

Shave 3: Much like with the extra blade, there was something about the 3rd shave that just seemed a little better than the first two. Its was not any hugely noticeable aspect of the shave, but afterward my face just felt a bit better. The shave itself was still smooth, comfortable and free from any pulling or tugging (even with a couple days growth) and once again the shave was a nice BBS result.

Shave 4: the last shave for this blade was as good as the previous one, smooth comfortable, and BBS close. There wasn’t any deterioration in the comfort and performance of the blade. The blade was still giving a pleasant mild shave, that was not causing any irritation or razor burn.

Overall (TLDNR)
This blade is a good consistent performer which gets a bit better after a couple of uses. its got a nice sharp edge, and gives a smooth comfortable shave with no pulling or tugging. This blade In my opinion takes all the good aspects of the “extra”, and makes them a little bit better. It seemed to have slightly better durability than the Extra, and while having a similar degree of mildness and comfort, it was more efficient and gave a BBS shave with much more ease than what I got with the Extra. I think this would be a good option for those who need to shave on a daily basis.

Next week: Gillette Minora
Gaza365

Re: DE Blade shoot out Week Thirty – Derby Blue

Postby dini » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:06 am

Another nice review , gaza . Thanks .

Looks like I need to give these blades a try .
dini

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:40 pm

Great review Gaza. I like teh Derby Blue. I'm also very impressed with the Derby Black.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby DAVEP » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:21 pm

Great review as usual Gaza I have just ordered some derby black from RVT so will be trying them out soon. :clap:
DAVEP

Return to Blade Discussion