DE Blade shoot out Week Twenty-Eight – Gillette Platinum

Discuss and Review the cutting edge.

DE Blade shoot out Week Twenty-Eight – Gillette Platinum

Postby Gaza365 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:40 am

And the second installment for today

Notes on my soap for this round (Personal thoughts). I was Boendoe Beard Sandalwood soap. The soap puck itself is Huge, and the sandalwood scented one I used has quite a strong scent. I am a fan of the sandalwood scents, and I found this one to be quite to my liking. The soap produced a nice rich and full lather, with good slip, I found it took a bit more water than I’m used to in order to get it to my preferred consistency, overall it’s a great soap.

Shave 1: the first shave I found to be smooth with no pulling or tugging, but the blade was slightly more aggressive. Despite the blade being less mild, I also found it to be less efficient than I would have expected. I got a good close shave, but it was not quite BBS. Overall it was a good shave, but perhaps a bit disappointing having just finished using the Personna.

Shave 2: the blade performed much like it had the first time around, it gave a good smooth shave, with no pulling or tugging. It was still ever so slightly on the aggressive side. The shave was still pleasant though, and although the shave was close, again it was not quite BBS. Still no irritation or razor burn though

Shave 3: The blade again gave a smooth and comfortable shave, with no pulling or tugging, still ever so slightly aggressive, yet surprisingly I was still getting a slightly less than BBS shave. I did feel it had started to lose its edge slightly during the third shave, nothing considerable enough to cause any deterioration in the shave though

Shave 4: The blade did seem less sharp than it started. The shave was still smooth and free from any tugging or pulling. However I did find that since todays shave was the day after shave 3 the less mild feel of the blade did get my skin feeling slightly harassed. I didn’t pick up any irritation or razor burn, but I think it was close. Again though the shave was just slightly shy of BBS

Overall (TLDNR)
This blade gave me a good smooth shave free from tugging or pulling, and it had a slightly less mild feel to it. Unfortunately, the slightly more aggressive nature didn’t help it give a greatly close shave either. While the blade did give a good shave, I can’t say I was absolutely taken with it. Ill give it a try in some different razors and see if I can find something that suits this blade better

Next week: Polsilver
Gaza365

Re: DE Blade shoot out Week Twenty-Eight – Gillette Platinum

Postby deepsouth » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:24 am

Polsilver : Noice !

I reviewed the Bundubeard soap a while back - if you're bored,
http://forums.mastershave.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=626

tl/dr : I liked it too, grating it up improved it
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:30 am

Nice review. Is this the Gillette in the Black packet? (Can you post a pic of th tuck for this one?)
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Gaza365 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:11 pm

This is the tuck and the blade. There is a black 7O'clock Blade I've seen online is that the one you mean?

both the yellow and green Gillette 7 O'clock blade were nicer than these were imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Gaza365

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:29 pm

Gaza365 wrote:Image

This is the tuck and the blade. There is a black 7O'clock Blade I've seen online is that the one you mean?

both the yellow and green Gillette 7 O'clock blade were nicer than these were imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Gaza, that's the one Ithought it was. I'm keen to give the 7 o clock black a try.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Return to Blade Discussion