DE Blade shoot out Week Twenty Three – Feather

Discuss and Review the cutting edge.

DE Blade shoot out Week Twenty Three – Feather

Postby Gaza365 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:39 am

This week, the much talked about Feather blade, I've read a lot of comments about these being the sharpest blades there are.. which was a very intimidating statement about 6 months back, but, I felt ready to take on the challenge now. :lol:

Shave 1: Right away, it’s clear that this is a very sharp blade! the shave was exceptionally smooth, and comfortable. the blade slices through the stubble so effectively, it’s like it isn’t even there. Getting a BBS result was very easy with this blade. I also managed to get more than the usual number of weepers on this shave, I managed to get one fairly sized patch quite badly “grazed”, and I made a mental note to really try for a lighter touch next time around. After three passes, applying alum stung a bit more than usual, but my skin felt good after a cold rinse and a splash of A/S. the Blade itself did not feel very aggressive, but it certainly gets down to business.

Shave 2: The blade still gave an incredibly smooth shave, with a BBS result, I made a note to watch the pressure and overall technique this time around, which gave me a better result than the first time. I got another BBS shave. Despite picking up one or two weepers, and the same “more than usual” sting from the alum, my skin did not feel irritated. Using a lighter touch with the Feather is definitely a step in the right direction.

Shave 3: By this shave, I think I had gotten the technique right for the blade. the blade was still removing the facial hair like it never actually existed in the first place, and giving a BBS shave with a completely smooth performance. I had gotten the blade angle just right, zero pressure, and was having an incident free shave. I did misjudge the approach angle during the second pass and nicked myself quite badly just under the nose (this Is my technique weak spot where) which was the one negative about this shave. The rest of the shave was exceptional.

Shave 4: Four shaves in and I can’t say that I picked up any significant deterioration in the blades performance. it was still giving a perfectly smooth shave, with a BBS result. No more weepers, just a smoot irritation free shave. The blade was still really sharp, giving as smooth shave, however I did feel it had become a little less “Crazy Sharp” which combined with the improvement in technique led to the best shave I’ve had from the feather.

Overall (TLDNR)
I started with a bit of a love/hate relationship with this blade, it gives a super smooth shave, but is so sharp, it’s a bit less forgiving of sloppy technique. But once I got the technique dialed in, the experience was terrific! The blade has a surprisingly mild feeling, but still gives an effortless BBS result, with no irritation. This blade starts sharp, and stays sharp, but perhaps does become a bit more forgiving after a couple shaves. I look forward to testing this blade in other razors when this exercise is complete. This is the most expensive blade I have for testing, and it performs like a top tier blade. I will definitely use this blade again, but at the price, future experiences will determine just how often

Side note (speculation alert): My razor is neither the mildest nor greatest (but it’s the standard for this exercise), I have read that the EJ DE89 is I assume a milder more forgiving razor (I don’t have one so don’t quote me, but the sentiment seems to be "if you get a bad shave with a DE89, you are doing something wrong") paired with a razor in the DE89 performance category, I think the “Feather” would give any beginner a phenomenal shave.

Next week: I revisit the Gillette Wilkinson Sword Saloon blade (The Indian Saloon version this time)
Gaza365

Re: DE Blade shoot out Week Twenty Three – Feather

Postby deepsouth » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:04 am

Aaah Feather blades, I too have a love/hate relationship with their DE blades. Very effective and sharp AF, too dear in the long run. Demands a feather light touch and dialed in technique. I recall I was quite cut up when I used them first, in a new to me Gillette ball end tech (very mild razor) We went away for the weekend, a lovely farm in the Swartland. I received my razor and blades the night before and promptly packed them for a shave away. Having not packed my alum or styptic pencil, dots of red stained TP adorned my face. :lol:

Great review Gaza ! I can send you some Gillette Nacets if you want to give them a go too?

The Proguard Feather blades are simply put - so far, the best I've ever used, I still need to try the Pro and Supers.
Sharp, smooth and consistent.
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby Jacquers » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:45 am

Not a fan of the Feathers. Super sharp, but lacked smoothness and got nicks and cuts. But I have a friend who almost exclusively uses them. It's great that we have such a variety of blades to choose from.

I saw a vintage Artist Club at an antique shop once, but it hadn't been labeled / price yet, so I didn't buy it. If I'm there again and it's available I might just get it and try to get some of those Proguard blades.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby deepsouth » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:10 pm

Vintage artist club, I'd jump in that. They have been around for some time. I saw a video where this older gent said he bought his 20 years ago and still uses it. Impressive, the current SS was updated in 2012 to stain steel where the previous ones were brass coated.

If you're around the antique store again and they still have it aaand you're not keen, I'll take it :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
deepsouth

Postby deepsouth » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:13 pm

Also note that they do also make hair shapers that looks like a non folding shavette and takes similarish blades

deepsouth

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:29 pm

Very nice review Gaza. I like the feather blades, but you have to very lightly with them. Resist the urge to over shave certain spots.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby deepsouth » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:51 pm

Also note that they do also make hair shapers that looks like a non folding shavette and takes similarish blades

deepsouth

Postby Thug » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:10 am

Great review Gaza.
Thug

Return to Blade Discussion