DE Blade shoot out Week Twenty one – Supermax Blue Diamond

Discuss and Review the cutting edge.

DE Blade shoot out Week Twenty one – Supermax Blue Diamond

Postby Gaza365 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:27 am

This week (And some extra days) was the Supermax Blue Diamond… Another Supermax? :) Sorry its late, its been a few hectic days.

Shave 1: the first shave was about what I have come to expect from a Supermax blade, Smooth and comfortable, no pulling or tugging, and finishing with no irritation or razor burn after three passes. This blade gave a good close shave, not 100% BBS but It gets very close to the mark, while still being quite a mild blade.

Shave 2: the second shave was very much like the first, smooth comfortable, no irritation. While I got some BBS areas, there were again a few spots that just hadn’t quite made it there, but not anything to be unhappy about either. Given that it is on the milder side, it still does well to eliminate the whiskers.

Shave 3: Shave 3 was a bit of a treat, I took the Parker Variant out for a spin, and threw in some extra preshave steps. The blade itself in the variant, gave a good smooth shave, no pulling or tugging, and much closer to an all over BBS result in the variant than my regular razor. The post shave feel of my skin was terrific (Except for a rather nasty gash on the chin where the weight and feel of the different razor got the better of me), the benefits of the extra prep and better soap were evident. But the blade had performed well nonetheless. There was still no perceivable deterioration on the blade.

Shave 4: Owning to me having butchered my chin and it still looking raw, Shave 4 came after a few days break, so I had a reasonable bit of growth going, and was back to the regular test kit. I found the blade to struggle slightly with the longer whiskers on the 4th shave, and there was some slight pulling on the first pass. The second and third passes were reasonable, no great discomfort but the blade was showing some signs of deterioration. This was not the most comfortable shave, but I still finished with no irritation, and a shave that was still close enough to have no cause for complaint.

Overall (TLDNR)
This blade is another pretty good blade. It was not quite my favorite Supermax blade, but it’s still better than some of the other blades. It gives a good smooth and mild shave, but still provides a nice close result. One of the blades with a good smooth/close/mild balance. This was one of the blades that I did not get any weepers or nicks with… unless I made a mistake, while there wasn’t anything particularly Amazing about this blade, it is better than a few other options available.

Next week: Voskhod
Gaza365

Re: DE Blade shoot out Week Twenty one – Supermax Blue Diamo

Postby deepsouth » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:51 am

Voskhod !!!! I kind of like the supermax platinum blades, more smooth than sharp - they're in my shavette and doing a good enough job of it. I need to dial it up a bit
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby Gaza365 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:09 pm

deepsouth wrote:Voskhod !!!! I kind of like the supermax platinum blades, more smooth than sharp - they're in my shavette and doing a good enough job of it. I need to dial it up a bit

The Platinums were my Favorite of the Supermax blades, then i kind of liked the greens. I think the next spot is a toss up between these and the Vidyut Supermax for me
Gaza365

Postby deepsouth » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:29 pm

I think you'll enjoy the voskhods, smooth and sharp - to me at least. Great review too !
I can't recall if I used any other supermax blades (bar the green and plats) possibly not, as they would've stuck around
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:21 pm

Nice one Gaza. Sounds like you had some good shaves with the Blue Diamond. :thumbup:
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Return to Blade Discussion