DE Blade shoot out Week Twenty – Big Ben

Discuss and Review the cutting edge.

DE Blade shoot out Week Twenty – Big Ben

Postby Gaza365 » Thu May 25, 2017 2:22 pm

This week was the Big Ben, I did not really have any opinions going in.

Shave 1: Sporting a few days of growth on this shave, there was some Pulling on the first pass. It wasn’t horrific, just mildly uncomfortable. Passes 2 and three were a whole other ball game, I found the blade had a “positive” feel to it, it wasn’t aggressive, just present. The remaining two passes were smooth and comfortable, and I got a nice BBS shave with no irritation or razor burn.

Shave 2: The day after shave 1, the blade gave me three really nice passes, the blade was still making its presence known. And It gave a smooth performance from start to finish, it felt sharp and comfortable start to finish. Again, the shave was a good close BBS shave. Another irritation free shave, and my skin was feeling really good, and no nicks or cuts in two shaves.

Shave 3: Once again I was sporting a few days of growth, and again I had a slightly uncomfortable first pass. It just felt that there was a slight bit of pulling going on. Like with shave 1 though, passes 2 and 3 were smooth and comfortable. I could still feel the blade so nothing had changed there, although I had not noticed that on the first pass due to the pulling. Again, despite the little tug on the first pass the overall shave was free from irritation and again no weepers no matter how slight.

Shave 4: this shave was again the day right after shave 3 and I had 3 good passes. The blade did feel just slightly less sharp than shave 3, but nothing to write home about, but the overall result was a smooth comfortable shave, with no irritation and a near BBS result, I was in a bit of a hurray, but probably could have gotten BBS if I’d been more methodical, my rushing helped me pick up a small nick on my chin. But overall, a good shave and a good performance from the blade

Overall (TLDNR)

I’m not quite sure what to make of this blade in my setup. With longer whiskers, I picked up some pulling which led to slight discomfort on the first pass, but after that it put in a great performance, and with a day’s growth, I got good shaves start to finish. The blade is not so mild that you don’t feel it, also not aggressive either, so it gives smooth comfortable, irritation free shaves (when my stubble is short). I liked the way my skin felt after shaving with this blade too so I will try it in other razors in the future to see if that will help get rid of the pulling I experienced with longer facial hair. I found the blade quite forgiving and didn’t battle to get weeper free shaves.
Next week: Supermax Blue Diamond
Gaza365

Re: DE Blade shoot out Week Twenty – Big Ben

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu May 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Nice review Gaza. Interesting findings with longer stubble. :OOO
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Re: DE Blade shoot out Week Twenty – Big Ben

Postby Gaza365 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:28 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Nice review Gaza. Interesting findings with longer stubble. :OOO

Yeah a bit odd, but I am sure it's down to the Razor/Blade combo. I will post an update when I get it into a couple different razors... Nearly done with all the different blades I have to test
Gaza365

Return to Blade Discussion