DE Blade shoot out Week Seven - Rapira Super Stainless pink

Discuss and Review the cutting edge.

DE Blade shoot out Week Seven - Rapira Super Stainless pink

Postby Gaza365 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:04 pm

This week was the Rapira Super Stainless (pink). Opinions below for anyone interested.

I have been travelling this week, so I have mostly been using my travel gear (same razor, but I have some traveling soap and aftershaves)

Thoughts:
Shave 1: I had a good shave with this blade, it had a slightly aggressive feel to it in my setup. However, it was not overly aggressive, but it does have a definite bite to it. This shave was nice and smooth, without any pulling or tugging, and no irritation from the first shave, the slightly aggressive nature of the blade lets you know it is doing its job, but without feeling like you have been mauled by a lion. The shave was all around pleasant, it was not the closest shave I’ve experienced though.

Shave 2: This was also a good shave, the blade still had the ever so slight bite I had noticed. But once again, the shave was smooth in that there was no pulling or tugging, and I had an overall good shave. I had no irritation from the shave but I did seem to have developed a slight “Rash” in my neck I presume from the new aftershave I was using. Again I noticed that it was not the closest shave I have had, but I only really mention it because of how closely I am scrutinising the blades. Only Alum after my shave today.

Shave 3: My skin had recovered from the adverse reaction to the after shave, so it was all ahead with the shave again, Again the shave was good, I did not notice any deterioration in the blade, I still had the distinctive bite that I had experienced. It was a smooth shave without any pulling or tugging. I may have over done it a bit since I picked up a slight bit of razor burn in my neck on one side, but this may have been some lingering sensitivity from the earlier rash. But this was slight and the rest of the shave went well.

Shave 4: This was a good shave, but I had reached the point where the blade felt like it was starting to work harder. There was not any tugging or pulling but the feeling that the hairs are not being sheared as efficiently. The slight bit of aggressiveness was still present, but by now id gotten used to it and it had become a reassuring feeling that the blade was doing what it was meant to. No irritation this time around, and about the same level of closeness of the shave as the previous ones.

Overall (TLDNR)
When I first started using this blade, I noticed the slightly aggressive feeling of the blade, but it did not come with any loss of smoothness or cause any noticeable irritation. I would say that if you want a great shave but want to feel that the blade is doing the job this is a good option. The blade had good durability and gave a good overall experience. It may give a few more shaves than the 4 I put it through, but 4 is definitely a good number for this blade.

Next week: Treet Platinum
Gaza365

Re: DE Blade shoot out Week Seven - Rapira Super Stainless p

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:08 pm

I like these blades. I also noticed the slight edge to them.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the Treet. :thumbup:
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby dini » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:24 am

These blades fall into the very mediocre category for me . Mostly for the reasons already mentioned

Harsh of blade with a sharp edge but not the cleanest shave .
dini

Postby ryan-rsa » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:01 pm

Another awesome review Gaza. Looking forward to your take on the Treet blades, they my go to blade and I have been waiting for that review since the beginning!
Why is it I always get my best ideas while shaving?
-Albert Einstein
ryan-rsa

Postby deepsouth » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:05 pm

Treet carbon should sneek in too - they're a two shave blade - but oh so good
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:44 pm

deepsouth wrote:Treet carbon should sneek in too - they're a two shave blade - but oh so good

Agreed! :thumbup:
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby DirtyOldBeggar » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Where did you get this blade from? I like this brand.
DirtyOldBeggar

Postby Chrisvo » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:54 pm

Mother Russia.
Chrisvo

Postby Gaza365 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:34 pm

DirtyOldBeggar wrote:Where did you get this blade from? I like this brand.

I got these in a sampler pack from RVT, a couple of months back.
Gaza365

Postby DirtyOldBeggar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:42 am

Gaza365 wrote:
DirtyOldBeggar wrote:Where did you get this blade from? I like this brand.

I got these in a sampler pack from RVT, a couple of months back.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
DirtyOldBeggar

Postby BLES » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:07 pm

I finally had some time to read through all your blade shoot outs and find it quite impressive. :clap: :clap: For me a stainless steel blade coated with chrome or platinum is the ultimate for a smooth shave without bumps or nicks. I find changing them out every four days at first, and add a day as you go along, until you find the exact day that particular brand starts to get dull works quite well for me although I normally toss out a blade after four days because they’re so cheap compared to cartridge razor blades and why bother to test dull blades on one’s face? :think: I’m about two years into wet shaving now and got one or two brands I felt strongly about. Those of the forum guys knowing me for some time now will know that a Gillette Minora is the brand that fancies me. :D After the Minora became my go to blade I haven’t tried and tested any new blades recently except for a tuck of Voskhod blades which is also an exceptionable blade in my opinion. ;) There are definitely still a few blades out there I want to try and test but for now I’m still satisfied with my current blade rotation. Razors on the other hand are a personal experience for everyone and also play a huge role in a blade’s performance. It would be interesting to read your thoughts on the Minora, Feather, Voskhod and Polsilver as these are blades high on my ranking list. :thumbup:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby Gaza365 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:27 pm

I’m glad people are enjoying reading my write-ups, as inexperienced as I am, it’s been a good learning curve, and good fun on my end. And I’m looking forward to trying my favourites in different razors once I have my Top few blades!

Hopefully I will be covering off all of people’s favourites, I still have quite a list of blades to get through. (List below) I have kind of been testing in the order that I acquired each blade, more or less) so my apologies if you are waiting for something at the end of the list! If you want me to look at something not on the list let me know and I’ll get pick up what I am missing

Bold/Red = Completed blades
BIC
Lion
Gillette 7 sharp edge
Rapira Plat Lux
Thames Stainless
Gillette 7 super stainless
Rapira Swedish super steel
Treet platinum

Vidyut Super-Max Stainless
Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Ladas Super Stainless
Treet D.E.B. (Carbon)
Concord
Derby Extra
Astra Superior Platinum
Elios Inox
Super-Max Super Stainless (Green)
Super-Max Super Stainless (Blue Plus)
Super-Max Super Platinum
Big Ben Super Stainless
Super-Max Blue Diamond
Vokshod Teflon
Feather
Astra Superior Stainless
Shark Super Stainless
Personna Platinum
Gillette Minora
Gillette Platinum
Polsilver super iridium
Gaza365

Postby deepsouth » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:29 pm

Looks promising, I too enjoy your write-ups, everyone was a noob at some point - even the experienced blokes get a weeper, no worries there.

I don't want to upset the cart - but some blades perform different in other razors, you may have to retest if you get another razor - not a bad thing, the lion performed best left in the wrapping in the tuck at the store
deepsouth

Postby BLES » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:26 am

Gaza365 wrote:I’m glad people are enjoying reading my write-ups, as inexperienced as I am, it’s been a good learning curve, and good fun on my end. And I’m looking forward to trying my favourites in different razors once I have my Top few blades!

Hopefully I will be covering off all of people’s favourites, I still have quite a list of blades to get through. (List below) I have kind of been testing in the order that I acquired each blade, more or less) so my apologies if you are waiting for something at the end of the list! If you want me to look at something not on the list let me know and I’ll get pick up what I am missing

Bold/Red = Completed blades
BIC
Lion
Gillette 7 sharp edge
Rapira Plat Lux
Thames Stainless
Treet platinum

Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Ladas Super Stainless
Treet D.E.B. (Carbon)
Concord
Derby Extra
Astra Superior Platinum
Elios Inox
Super-Max Super Platinum
Big Ben Super Stainless
Super-Max Blue Diamond
Vokshod Teflon
Feather
Astra Superior Stainless
Shark Super Stainless
Personna Platinum
Gillette Minora
Gillette Platinum
Polsilver super iridium

You know...it is a sin to have the king of all blades third last on the list... :twisted: :lol: :lol:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby Gaza365 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:15 am

BLES wrote:You know...it is a sin to have the king of all blades third last on the list... :twisted: :lol: :lol:

I was always taught to save the best for last :lol:
Gaza365

Postby deepsouth » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:06 am

Shave the best last :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
deepsouth

Postby BLES » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:36 am

Also true. :D ...but then it should be last... :think: :lol: :lol:
BLES

Postby Gaza365 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:33 am

BLES wrote:Also true. :D ...but then it should be last... :think: :lol: :lol:

BIC
Lion
Gillette 7 sharp edge
Rapira Plat Lux
Thames Stainless
Treet platinum

Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Ladas Super Stainless
Treet D.E.B. (Carbon)
Concord
Derby Extra
Astra Superior Platinum
Elios Inox
Super-Max Super Platinum
Big Ben Super Stainless
Super-Max Blue Diamond
Vokshod Teflon
Feather
Astra Superior Stainless
Shark Super Stainless
Personna Platinum
Gillette Platinum
Polsilver super iridium
Gillette Minora

schedule adjusted accordingly
Gaza365

Postby jegreen » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:13 pm

Not worth starting a new thread for, and this may be a very stupid question. I'm testing many different types of blades, trying to get a shortlist of what works best for me. I was impressed that Rapira makes so many different kinds of blades but couldn't find that much difference between them. Tested them all back to back again and wasn't being very observant. When I looked at these 3 tonight I realised why they are so similar...

Am I correct in saying that these are exactly the same blade? :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jegreen

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:30 pm

jegreen wrote:Not worth starting a new thread for, and this may be a very stupid question. I'm testing many different types of blades, trying to get a shortlist of what works best for me. I was impressed that Rapira makes so many different kinds of blades but couldn't find that much difference between them. Tested them all back to back again and wasn't being very observant. When I looked at these 3 tonight I realised why they are so similar...

Am I correct in saying that these are exactly the same blade? :oops:

In my testing they all perform idfferently. The one on the right (Chrome) is by far the smoothest. The middle one is the sharpest, and the one onthe left is a decent middle of the road blade.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Next

Return to Blade Discussion