Single Edge Blades

Discuss and Review the cutting edge.

Single Edge Blades

Postby jegreen » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:19 pm

Can't find any topic about injector style blades anywhere? I've got a modern single edge razor that was supplied with the Kai Captain Sharp Blade and my first blade is still going strong at about 15 x 3 pass shaves. I normally average 3 - 4 uses with a DE blade so I'm very impressed by these single edge blades. Just to clarify my own ignorance:

- Do these blades only come in a 50 mm and 38 mm length?
- Is the shorter blade only used in vintage Schick injectors, or are there modern razors that use that length as well?
- It looks like the Schick blades are for both lengths, and the Personna blades only the shorter length?
- The Feather and Kai blades are all the same length and direct competitors?

Most reviews seem favourable to the Feather Super Pro, the Schick gets very good reviews, and there is very little about the Kai and Personna.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can offer some experience on these!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jegreen

Re: Single Edge Blades

Postby jegreen » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:21 pm

To add to the topic, I also see that Feather makes a GEM style blade. But it reminds me more of a Valet Autostrop blade and I see it doesn't have a spine.

So is this a completely different blade to the GEM and for what razor?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jegreen

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:27 pm

jegreen wrote:To add to the topic, I also see that Feather makes a GEM style blade. But it reminds me more of a Valet Autostrop blade and I see it doesn't have a spine.

Hi there JeGreen, I'm not sure which razors the Feather FHS - 10 blade was originally designed for, but the baldes fit perfectly into a valet autostrop (so you can use them even if you don t have the strop). However, the FHS-10 blades have back to prominence because tehey are used in the (expensive) One Blade razor. :)

You can also pull the spine off a gem blade and use it in the One blade.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby jegreen » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:39 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:
jegreen wrote:To add to the topic, I also see that Feather makes a GEM style blade. But it reminds me more of a Valet Autostrop blade and I see it doesn't have a spine.

Hi there JeGreen, I'm not sure which razors the Feather FHS - 10 blade was originally designed for, but the baldes fit perfectly into a valet autostrop (so you can use them even if you don t have the strop). However, the FHS-10 blades have back to prominence because tehey are used in the (expensive) One Blade razor. :)

You can also pull the spine off a gem blade and use it in the One blade.

Seems very expensive to make a blade for such a limited use! I'm still surprised that they still make the GEM blades. There can't be more than a few hundred One Blade's ever sold, and I've never even seen a picture of someone using a Valet Autostrop.
jegreen

Postby deepsouth » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:42 pm

My 2c, Feather make blades for the Healthcare environments, these include labs that use them for specimen work etc, I think the shaving portion is the smaller business unit

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:26 pm

Very true, The gem blades fit into a certain kind of pathological instrument. They are quite widely used.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby JHBBlade » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:06 am

@jegreen...... Tô answer part of your questions. Yes you get 38mm and 50mm SE blades.

Schick injector uses the 38mm,
Feather kamisori as used by DS and myself uses 50mm blade.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
JHBBlade

Postby jegreen » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:54 am

JHBBlade wrote:@jegreen...... Tô answer part of your questions. Yes you get 38mm and 50mm SE blades.

Schick injector uses the 38mm,
Feather kamisori as used by DS and myself uses 50mm blade.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Thanks. It's what I thought but it's surprisingly difficult to confirm it. It also makes sense what deepsouth said that there are other uses for these blades than traditional wetshaving. To manufacture a low volume / low profit consumable product just doesn't make sense.

Some forums discussing the Schick blades spoke about buying packs of 20 or packs of 30 blades, but now I assume they were confusing the B-20 and P-30 sizes as meaning number of blades in the injector. Is it correct to call all of these narrow single edges an "injector" blade?
jegreen

Return to Blade Discussion