The flex / flick factor

The flex / flick factor

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:01 am

Hi all,

Just been thinking about the single edge razors like the Schick inejctors and the Gem / Ever-Ready. The blades are far more rigid so have very little flex. De blades are far less rigid but the amount of blade flex (flick) is determined by the design of the razor's head.

The flex does play an important part in the comfort of the overall shave (for me). My shaving style is to hold the razor a the bottom of the handle and rasp the stubble away with minimal pressure. So with the single edge razors, the flex factor comes from the way therazor head is mounted on the handle. That's why I like the Ever-Ready 1912 so much. the head itself sits on a type of leaf spring.

Anyway, that's jsut my humble opnion. Your thoughts?
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Re: The flex / flick factor

Postby deepsouth » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:05 pm

I do enjoy a rigid blade, the DE blade in razors like the R41 or Merkur Progress hold the blade tightly in place and flex is kept to the very edge or not at all.

Preferences against adjustable and non-adjustable razors can't be made (possibly with TTO and 2 piece adjustable), as the opposite holds true to the likes of the Le Coq caged frame and Gillette Fatboy or slim which (in my view) allows for a more flex. The blade exposure on the Le Coq is quite a thing and due to this the edge could flex, the Gillette adjustable use those 4 pads to hold the blade down and hence the chatter or flexing.

I do love the SE GEM style razors and should have held on to my Injector....

The above post was kept Feather free for a change :lol:
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:23 pm

deepsouth wrote:I do enjoy a rigid blade, the DE blade in razors like the R41 or Merkur Progress hold the blade tightly in place and flex is kept to the very edge or not at all.

Preferences against adjustable and non-adjustable razors can't be made (possibly with TTO and 2 piece adjustable), as the opposite holds true to the likes of the Le Coq caged frame and Gillette Fatboy or slim which (in my view) allows for a more flex. The blade exposure on the Le Coq is quite a thing and due to this the edge could flex, the Gillette adjustable use those 4 pads to hold the blade down and hence the chatter or flexing.

I do love the SE GEM style razors and should have held on to my Injector....

The above post was kept Feather free for a change :lol:

Interesting feedback there DS :)
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby JHBBlade » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:27 pm

Interesting thoughts..........
You would think that blade flex, unless quite significant would not make much difference from a scientific perspective.

BUT, I was thinking similar thoughts the other day after my feather DE shave. I've a suspicion that thicker, more rigid blades might be more comfortable, certainly the injector style SE blades are amazing be they in an Injector or a shavette. It makes me think I may have to find myself a GEM or strop up my Valet Auto strop.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
JHBBlade

Return to Single Edged Razor Discussion