Show off your SE razors (GEM, ER & Star)

Show off your SE razors (GEM, ER & Star)

Postby BLES » Tue May 30, 2017 7:09 am

Here are my three SE razors. All of them are Ever Ready razors.

1917-1919 (ER) "1914" marked "Evere Ready" Patented March 24/14
1919 (ER) Front hinged cap "Brooklyn New York USA" Patent applied for (becomes the "1924")
1930 The improved Ever Ready ("1912") what we call the Ever Ready "1912" finally coming into common production

P1070043.jpg

P1070044.jpg

P1070045.jpg

P1070046.jpg

P1070047.jpg

P1070049.jpg

P1070050.jpg

P1070051.jpg

P1070052.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Re: Show off your SE razors (GEM, ER & Star)

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue May 30, 2017 7:21 am

Very nice BLES! I have two 1912's and a shovelhead (1924). Also have a few injectors. All good razors.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby admin » Tue May 30, 2017 8:51 am

Very nice collection Meneer :thumbup:
Master Shave | The Home of Wet Shaving Enthusiasts |Links: Image Image
admin
Site Admin

Postby deepsouth » Tue May 30, 2017 11:30 am

Lookers the whole lot of them, I have the Shovelhead and 1912 and a Rolls Razor as handled single edges. The Rolls works quite well actually, should pop that out of the cupboard again
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby DAVEP » Tue May 30, 2017 12:03 pm

Not for me SE I swapped mine with RVT for other things, never had a good shave with the injector or the 1912.
DAVEP

Postby Jacquers » Tue May 30, 2017 12:33 pm

I have more :P But you have some I don't. Will post a photo when I get a chance.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby Thug » Tue May 30, 2017 12:43 pm

Superb collection Bles.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby BLES » Tue May 30, 2017 1:20 pm

Thanks Menere. :thumbup:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby jegreen » Tue May 30, 2017 1:25 pm

The art deco handles look great. Very nice collection, Bles! I've got a GEM SE that I'll put some photos up later as well. How do you keep the top cap open? Mine just snaps closed as soon as I let go.

I've read in quite a few forums that the 1912 SE's are the finest shaving tools ever made. I'd struggle to agree with that but I can see that if you get the technique right it will be an excellent shaver.
jegreen

Postby BLES » Tue May 30, 2017 1:25 pm

deepsouth wrote:Lookers the whole lot of them, I have the Shovelhead and 1912 and a Rolls Razor as handled single edges. The Rolls works quite well actually, should pop that out of the cupboard again

I recently bought two Rolls razor sets. The one didn't have a handle so I pushed the seller down to R50 as I wanted to use it for spares for the complete set. I'm currently restoring it back to shaving condition. I already spoke to Basil who will help me to hone the two blades. I'm quite looking forward to shave with it. :D
BLES

Postby BLES » Tue May 30, 2017 1:28 pm

jegreen wrote:The art deco handles look great. Very nice collection, Bles! I've got a GEM SE that I'll put some photos up later as well. How do you keep the top cap open? Mine just snaps closed as soon as I let go.

I've read in quite a few forums that the 1912 SE's are the finest shaving tools ever made. I'd struggle to agree with that but I can see that if you get the technique right it will be an excellent shaver.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to your photo. I think it is supposed to stay open on its own. None of mine snap close on its own. :think:
BLES

Postby BLES » Tue May 30, 2017 1:30 pm

Jacquers wrote:I have more :P But you have some I don't. Will post a photo when I get a chance.

Please do. :drool:
BLES

Postby Mikaar » Tue May 30, 2017 4:12 pm

Great collection Bles I hope the Rolls restoration goes well, I saw that there were quite a few SE razors on bidorbuy but their condition didn't look that great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikaar

Postby BLES » Tue May 30, 2017 4:58 pm

Mikaar wrote:Great collection Bles I hope the Rolls restoration goes well, I saw that there were quite a few SE razors on bidorbuy but their condition didn't look that great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank-you. All three of mine was from BOB. I took a gamble with the 1914 but it played out well and I overpaid for my 1912 but I’m glad it found a good home…. :D
BLES

Postby Jacquers » Tue May 30, 2017 6:31 pm

The SE bug / interest bit me last year and I did some eBay-ing where most of mine came from. They are relatively cheap and plentiful in the US and UK.

Here is an old pic. The one Shovelhead went to deepsouth. download/file.php?id=3386
Not pictured: a Shovelhead used in this SOTD: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=641&p=19458&hilit=shovelhead#p19458
I also have a Valet and Rolls Razor.

SE Razors 01.jpg

SE Razors 02.jpg

Two GEM Featherweights (mild)
GEM Contour II (mild)
GEM G-Bar (mild)
GEM Junior (haven't cleaned yet, but have used one before, they are also mild)
GEM Open Comb Micromatic (less aggro than a shovelhead, but felt a little rough. Cool TTO mechanism though)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue May 30, 2017 7:40 pm

That TTO is a beauty!! :drool: I suspect it's a bit rougher because head is not on a leaf sprung base like the 1912 or 1914.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Jacquers » Tue May 30, 2017 8:05 pm

The shape of the teeth are quite square, I suspect that is what caused it, but I think you have a point that the TTO might not hold it as tight as with the spring mechanism of the others. Maybe a combination of the two.

Seems this reviewer also thought the OCMM was a bit harsh and other closed comb variants are less so. However, I didn't find it to be as aggressive as the Shovelhead. http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=2004
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby jegreen » Tue May 30, 2017 9:11 pm

I've only got this one SE, which I think is the 1912 variant. Wasn't really looking for one but the condition and being in a box made it very attractive. The SE's come in quite a few styles and a collector would probably be able to pick up differences in them. I had one run on it the weekend and was extremely impressed.
jegreen

Postby jegreen » Tue May 30, 2017 9:15 pm

Found these online published in other forums and thought it could be interesting for SE users. I used mine almost flat against my face and not what they recommend here! But whatever works!
jegreen

Postby Jacquers » Tue May 30, 2017 9:16 pm

Very nice :thumbup:

I think it is a 1912 variant, known as the Damaskeene (as written inside the head). They get good reviews, no wonder it shaved well.

Thanks for posting the instructions. Most of the advice I have read recommended the flatter against the face angle and that is how I used mine. Using the angle as in picture 3 would make it much easier under the nose. For me the SE razors are a bit tricker to use and keep at a correct angle than a DE. I might have to give mine another go and experiment with the angle.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Next

Return to Single Edged Razor Discussion