Show off your SE razors (GEM, ER & Star)

Re: Show off your SE razors (GEM, ER & Star)

Postby BLES » Wed May 31, 2017 6:55 am

Jacquers wrote:The SE bug / interest bit me last year and I did some eBay-ing where most of mine came from. They are relatively cheap and plentiful in the US and UK.

Here is an old pic. The one Shovelhead went to deepsouth. download/file.php?id=3386
Not pictured: a Shovelhead used in this SOTD: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=641&p=19458&hilit=shovelhead#p19458
I also have a Valet and Rolls Razor.

SE Razors 01.jpg

SE Razors 02.jpg

Two GEM Featherweights (mild)
GEM Contour II (mild)
GEM G-Bar (mild)
GEM Junior (haven't cleaned yet, but have used one before, they are also mild)
GEM Open Comb Micromatic (less aggro than a shovelhead, but felt a little rough. Cool TTO mechanism though)

Now that is what I call awesomeness! Lovely collection Jaquers. :clap: :clap:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby BLES » Wed May 31, 2017 7:07 am

jegreen wrote:I've only got this one SE, which I think is the 1912 variant. Wasn't really looking for one but the condition and being in a box made it very attractive. The SE's come in quite a few styles and a collector would probably be able to pick up differences in them. I had one run on it the weekend and was extremely impressed.

These razors start out with the 1911-1912 GEM de Luxe followed by this one you have which is the 1912 GEM Damaskeene (the "1912"). Then came the 1914-1915 Ever Ready "1914" marked American Safety Razor Company New York" Patend Pending followed by the one I have, the 1917-1919 Ever Ready "1914" marked "Ever Ready" Patented March 24/14.

Yours is now 105 years old! :clap: :clap:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby jegreen » Wed May 31, 2017 9:19 am

Didn't realise that my 1912 could actually be made in 1912! The dating classification is quite poor, which is why Gillette was very clever to start that out from the beginning. To me my razor head looks the same as Bles' England Ever Ready. But on the other hand I'm sure some people could discuss differences in DE razors for hours :D Can't seem to find much comparison reviews in shaving differences except that the 1912 design is the preferred one for most.

Shaving under the nose with a SE is quite a tricky one and across the grain is the only option for me. I did try to shave against the grain and will just say that it was a very bad idea on my neck :oops:

Jacquers, that GEM G Bar is a great looking razor! But I was really hoping that there would be an open comb SE in your collection!
jegreen

Postby Jacquers » Wed May 31, 2017 9:25 am

Maybe it's not that easy to see from the angle of the picture I posted, but the Micromatic is an open comb :)

http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/656922 ... 702305.jpg
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby jegreen » Wed May 31, 2017 9:43 am

Jacquers wrote:Maybe it's not that easy to see from the angle of the picture I posted, but the Micromatic is an open comb :)

http://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/656922 ... 702305.jpg

There you go! :clap:
jegreen

Postby BLES » Wed May 31, 2017 10:39 am

The GEM “1912” is only a 1912 if it’s a Damaskeen as in your case, 1919 otherwise.

An Ever Ready “1912” is actually a 1930 and the Star “1912” were made from 1933. You’re quite correct when stating the head looks the same as mine as it is a clone of the GEM “1912”. The only way to detect the difference is by looking at the inscriptions on these razor heads.

Ever Ready “1914” is a 1914 if it has the inscription “patent pending”, 1917-1919 otherwise. Therefor you will note that I call mine the 1917-1919 (ER) “1914” as it was only patented in March 24/14.

The Ever Ready “1924” (Shovelhead) is not a 1924 if it state “patend applied for” which makes it actually a 1919.

So, the timeline would seem to be something in this order:

1912 – GEM Damaskeene “1912” begins
1919 – Star brought into American Safety Razor Company (ASR). GEM “1912” begins and Ever Ready “1924” comes into pre-patent production.
1923 – Ever Ready brand goes full blown.
1930 – Ever Ready “1912” begins. British market continues with “Ever Ready” and duplicates the GEM “1912”
1930 – GEM Micromatic (the OC)
1933 – Last use of Ever Ready in the US
1940’s – GEM “1912” Jnr
1941 – GEM Micromatic “Clog Pruf”
1947 – GEM Micromatic “Flying Wing”
Late 1940’s – Ever Ready “Streamline”
1950’s – Ever Ready Featherweight (British), GEM Featherweight / Pushbutton
1960’s – GEM Contour
1970’s – GEM Contour II :thumbup:
BLES

Postby Jacquers » Wed May 31, 2017 10:55 am

Somebody knows their SE razors :clap:
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby deepsouth » Wed May 31, 2017 11:52 am

Good info - and the dating system sucks compared to Gillette, I do love my Shovelhead and I'm sticking to the name or I'll be confused :oo
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby jegreen » Wed May 31, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks Bles. Great write-up that can be used for future reference.
jegreen

Postby jegreen » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:46 pm

I see that there is a flood of SE (and other vintage razors) on BoB.
jegreen

Postby deepsouth » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:21 pm

Jeepers creepers, that is a whole lot of new vintage razors! I haven't been on bob searching for some time, SE's and DE's galore! Mastershaves post stands out though, even a red rocket and gold tone single edges.
What a time to start wet shaving!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
deepsouth

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:30 am

BLES wrote:
deepsouth wrote:Lookers the whole lot of them, I have the Shovelhead and 1912 and a Rolls Razor as handled single edges. The Rolls works quite well actually, should pop that out of the cupboard again

I recently bought two Rolls razor sets. The one didn't have a handle so I pushed the seller down to R50 as I wanted to use it for spares for the complete set. I'm currently restoring it back to shaving condition. I already spoke to Basil who will help me to hone the two blades. I'm quite looking forward to shave with it. :D

Cool!

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:16 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:
BLES wrote:
deepsouth wrote:Lookers the whole lot of them, I have the Shovelhead and 1912 and a Rolls Razor as handled single edges. The Rolls works quite well actually, should pop that out of the cupboard again

I recently bought two Rolls razor sets. The one didn't have a handle so I pushed the seller down to R50 as I wanted to use it for spares for the complete set. I'm currently restoring it back to shaving condition. I already spoke to Basil who will help me to hone the two blades. I'm quite looking forward to shave with it. :D

Cool!

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

I met with Basil yesterday over a cup of coffee to discuss the status of them and according to him no honing is required. Apparently the one which is a 1950 model was never used before. All that is needed is some polishing and I can take her on her first voyage. :thumbup:
BLES

Postby BLES » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:19 am

jegreen wrote:I see that there is a flood of SE (and other vintage razors) on BoB.

I saw them the other day but I think most of them are a bit over prized... The ones of Admin starts at a fair bidding prize which is quite appealing... ;)
BLES

Postby deepsouth » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:55 am

I used my Rolls once only, not being sure how sharp the wedge was, it looked unused.
It's a straight blade, on a handle - do a bit of pre shave prep and take is easy - they don't have any safety guards - that bar you flip over is for protecting the blade when putting it down.
deepsouth

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:08 pm

deepsouth wrote:I used my Rolls once only, not being sure how sharp the wedge was, it looked unused.
It's a straight blade, on a handle - do a bit of pre shave prep and take is easy - they don't have any safety guards - that bar you flip over is for protecting the blade when putting it down.

Interesting, I always thought that bar was the guard? (Like closed comb on a DE razor)
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby jegreen » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:54 pm

There are a few modern SE' that take the injector type blades, eg. RR Hawk, King Cobra, iKon El Jefe, Mongoose

But this is the first I've seen that takes a GEM style SE: http://connaughtshaving.com/rocnel.html

Online search shows a few more brands with similar projects in the pipeline.

https://www.facebook.com/chiseledface/p ... 8705997380
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=48311

Prices will naturally be ridiculous, and paid by people suffering from RAD!
jegreen

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:48 pm

jegreen wrote:There are a few modern SE' that take the injector type blades, eg. RR Hawk, King Cobra, iKon El Jefe, Mongoose

But this is the first I've seen that takes a GEM style SE: http://connaughtshaving.com/rocnel.html

Online search shows a few more brands with similar projects in the pipeline.

https://www.facebook.com/chiseledface/p ... 8705997380
http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=48311

Prices will naturally be ridiculous, and paid by people suffering from RAD!

Interesting design on the Rocnel.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Johnny.b.goode » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:10 pm

Bagged myself a PAl injecto-matic razor, a while back which happened to come with quite a few original blades.
Don't know in what condition these Pal blades are in, so bought myself a new injector cartridge to play it safe.

Johnny.b.goode

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Very nice! :)
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

PreviousNext

Return to Single Edged Razor Discussion