Restorations: ERN and W&B

Restorations: ERN and W&B

Postby jegreen » Fri May 19, 2017 5:03 pm

I don't think I'll ever shave with a straight razor, but I can appreciate a fine looking blade. I wanted to get one to restore for the fun of it and ended up with 4... The shape of the ERN Ator looked great and that's what I was looking for but the recent article here on Wade & Butcher made me grab those as well. I don't think I overpaid at $10 - $30 each. The one W&B looks NOS and I can't see any signs of restoration? The only advice I had beforehand was to look at the edges and these all look smooth with no chips anywhere.

I went shopping for sandpaper and got 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit for wet sanding. I can lend a Dremel but can see that being a disaster. So this is an even more long term project for me, but there is a guy at work that's going to take 1 or 2 of the razors for himself and we'll work on them as we get chance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jegreen

Re: Restorations: ERN and W&B

Postby Thug » Fri May 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Very nice jegreen.

The W&B should clean up very nicely!

I definitely wouldn't go as low as 220 unless there is bad pitting on the ERN & ATOR. Start off with 800 and see how much of the patina/rust you can get rid of and if need be then go down to 600. If still not, then the 400.

The problem with going straight to the 220 is that you'll end up with big scratch marks on the blades which will take forever and a day to remove with the succeeding grits.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby jegreen » Fri May 19, 2017 7:02 pm

Thug wrote:Very nice jegreen.

The W&B should clean up very nicely!

I definitely wouldn't go as low as 220 unless there is bad pitting on the ERN & ATOR. Start off with 800 and see how much of the patina/rust you can get rid of and if need be then go down to 600. If still not, then the 400.

The problem with going straight to the 220 is that you'll end up with big scratch marks on the blades which will take forever and a day to remove with the succeeding grits.

Thanks Thug. Really don't want to wreck it. The scales are in pretty poor condition as well so for now just want to get the metal sorted and then take it from there.
jegreen

Postby jegreen » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:34 pm

Probably about 12 hours of wet sanding over 2 weeks and still having tendonitus in my hand, so finished with the blades now. I'm quite over sanding and next time it would definitely be a Dremel!

The ERN was sold to a guy at work here and he dropped and broke off the tang while cleaning it up, so I'm convincing him to turn it into a kamisori! The W&B and Ator is what I've been working on. Making new scales for the W&B and want to reuse the Ator scales. But the holes are quite badly worn so might need to epoxy them closed. Got hold of a pinning kit so this restore is pretty much on the home stretch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jegreen

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:07 am

jegreen wrote:Probably about 12 hours of wet sanding over 2 weeks and still having tendonitus in my hand, so finished with the blades now. I'm quite over sanding and next time it would definitely be a Dremel!

The ERN was sold to a guy at work here and he dropped and broke off the tang while cleaning it up, so I'm convincing him to turn it into a kamisori! The W&B and Ator is what I've been working on. Making new scales for the W&B and want to reuse the Ator scales. But the holes are quite badly worn so might need to epoxy them closed. Got hold of a pinning kit so this restore is pretty much on the home stretch.

Wow! Awesome restores.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby deepsouth » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:10 pm

Huge improvement from the first couple of photos? Did you sand under water? Which compounds did you use to polish?
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby jegreen » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:49 pm

deepsouth wrote:Huge improvement from the first couple of photos? Did you sand under water? Which compounds did you use to polish?

Wet sanded with a dry blade with 30x30mm cutouts that were soaked for 12 hours before use. Wet the paper often and probably spent about 45 min each night for 2 weeks doing this. Sanded from spine to edge, and then from shoulder to front, and same with tang using a piece block of sandpaper for each direction. From 600 grit I used 6 blocks per side (3 sets of sanding) and that progressed quickly.

Out of pure frustration after the first few days I hit the blades quite hard and took it down from 120, 180, 220, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit with the most time spent on 180 and 220. Have given it a few polishes with Autosol that really brought out the shine. The Ator is lightly pitted and the W&B has a few big pits that I naively thought I could sand out. I think if I took it back to 220 I could get a much better result with what I learn, but also could end up making it worse so leaving it where it is.

The ERN scales have just had a wetsand with 1500 and 2000 and still need to polish it, but think I need to epoxy the holes closed for redrilling as they are badly worn. The material looks like acetate (bakelite?) so that should polish easily. The W&B had horn scales that are finished and I've done olive wood but they are a bit wide around the wedge and will need some further sanding once pinned. Probably just going to seal with a marine polyurethane instead of the usual superglue?
jegreen

Postby ShavingB » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:42 pm

jegreen wrote:Probably about 12 hours of wet sanding over 2 weeks and still having tendonitus in my hand, so finished with the blades now. I'm quite over sanding and next time it would definitely be a Dremel!

Fantastic work there jegreen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ShavingB

Postby Thug » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:06 pm

Great work!

Where did you get your pinning kit from?

Thug

Postby admin » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:02 am

Excellent restoration project Sir - Bravo! :bow
Master Shave | The Home of Wet Shaving Enthusiasts |Links: Image Image
admin
Site Admin

Postby deepsouth » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:54 am

Did you make any extra scales ? Asking for a friend :D
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby jegreen » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:40 am

Thug wrote:Great work!

Where did you get your pinning kit from?

Got this in the post. Think it's going to be very difficult tot get the length cut correctly! There is still a overhang on the original wedge so need to take some more wood off that end.

Got the wood thinned down to 4mm, so quite close to original.

@deepsouth - the cutting out is not a problem, but sanding it down is quite a job! But I have some wood left over...
jegreen

Postby Thug » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:00 pm

Aaah, you got from Austin. He sells a nice pinning kit.

Thug

Postby Thug » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:01 pm

Love those scales!

Thug

Return to Single Edged Razor Discussion