Restoration update: Hunter&Sons Silversteel wedge

Restoration update: Hunter&Sons Silversteel wedge

Postby deepsouth » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi all,

A quick update, I decided to get cracking on this restore as it has stalled for a while. I removed the already sanded down and rust free blade from its protective spot this morning only to notice that "somehow" the edge now has broken off around 4mm down from the tip.

Not a happy man. I can only surmise that "someone" dropped either the blade or something on it. Kids are mute and wife knows nothing. Should I abandon this beautiful silversteel full wedge or trim 4mm from the point....either way, not a happy man. Dampened my mood.

Grabbed my second restore project; George Butler & co full hollow ground Sheffield from its coffin and started on it. Some surface rust doesn't look pitted. I'll carry on with this, but it has some work on it. The scales are straight and in general okay condition, no chips on the edge either. I'm not going to unpin this right now, but may later on.

How's everyone else getting on with their restore projects?
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Re: Restoration update: Hunter&Sons Silversteel wedge

Postby Thug » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:23 pm

Sorry to hear about your Hunter & sons but my recommendation is to make a shorty out of it.

I haven't started on either of my two project razors.

The shorty I want to polish up a bit and replace the scales, likewise with the Henckels Friodur.
Thug

Postby JHBBlade » Thu May 04, 2017 8:38 pm

Sad to hear about the Hunter and Sons DS.

My restorations have taken a back seat for a while. I'm performing triage on my razors.

Dead with little hope of restoration without MAJOR work are in one pile.

Can resuscitate and shave with a medium amount of work are in another pile.

Good condition and little work except honing are in the third pile. And I have about 5 razors that need honing.

In the third pile I have a sub category of razors that are too precious and perfectly new for me to hone just yet, I want more experience under my belt before I tackle them. The one razor is a William Ragg made in 1820 that is in mint condition and came from the Ragg estate collection.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
JHBBlade

Postby JHBBlade » Thu May 04, 2017 8:41 pm

I have a bucket of plans for making my own scales, maybe building my own 2x72" belt grinder to restore wedges that are too far gone, and maybe making a razor from scratch....... but time and money will delay those plans for a few years!

JHBBlade

Postby deepsouth » Fri May 05, 2017 1:56 pm

I have access to a laser cutter for scales :-) but am still gutted about that chip on the wedge. my other project razor is a full hollow and meh....
deepsouth

Postby Thug » Mon May 08, 2017 8:44 am

I need to make a couple of sets of scales but need to get some material.

Problem is that I only have normal DIY tools and not tools such as bandsaws and belt grinders. Perhaps I can make some type of cut-off saw attachment for my Dremel as I reckon cutting scales free-hand is asking for trouble.
Thug

Postby jegreen » Mon May 08, 2017 10:12 am

@deepsouth - Please post pics of the restore! I'm quite sure that single razors is not my thing, but I like the idea of a restore and I've got an ERN Ator and W&B wedge in the mail that I'll have a go at cleaning up as time allows.
Hope I'm not hijacking your thread, but Thugs comments reminded of a photo that I had on my phone - one of the guys in the workshop at work is into straights and he had this mint blade below, but the original scales and handle was unusable. I found an online PDF scale template, along with a small block of Stinkwood from a friend, and he made this from scratch in the evenings after work. So it can be done!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jegreen

Postby deepsouth » Mon May 08, 2017 10:19 am

Nice Dovo there - I have a similar one - the original scales on it is plastic, but the stinkwood looks so much better - good job!

I'm not too worried about making the scales, I'll do it on a laser cutter and finish off by hand. The steelwork is my worry, especially now that I have to grind it down a few mm's. Cleaning up the blade and removing the rust is easy (water sanding by hand) and dremel polishing through the stages.
deepsouth

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon May 08, 2017 11:44 am

jegreen wrote:@deepsouth - Please post pics of the restore! I'm quite sure that single razors is not my thing, but I like the idea of a restore and I've got an ERN Ator and W&B wedge in the mail that I'll have a go at cleaning up as time allows.
Hope I'm not hijacking your thread, but Thugs comments reminded of a photo that I had on my phone - one of the guys in the workshop at work is into straights and he had this mint blade below, but the original scales and handle was unusable. I found an online PDF scale template, along with a small block of Stinkwood from a friend, and he made this from scratch in the evenings after work. So it can be done!

Very nice! :)
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Thug » Mon May 08, 2017 11:56 am

@jegreen, your mate did a good job on the scales but just a couple of comments. Obviously he's used nuts & bolts to fasten everything together as opposed to pinning and I think the scales are a couple of mm's too thick.

@ds, just be extremely careful using a dremel on a Straight. One wrong move can have disastrous consequences. I prefer hand sanding and polishing.
Thug

Postby deepsouth » Mon May 08, 2017 12:38 pm

Thug, I don't take chances with the Dremel, they Dremel is clamped and on its lowest setting (the 3000 doesn't maintain rpm like the 4000)
I only polish with compound, water for cool down, edge faces down. All attention to task at hand with slow and steady movements using both hands. Safety gear not optional.

I also hand sand submerged in water

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
deepsouth

Postby JHBBlade » Mon May 08, 2017 8:55 pm

My very limited, and impatient, experience with trying to polish up or sand out problems on one or two blades was so slow that I decided that power tools was the way to go........ but having said that, I quickly decided that the wrong power tools were either ineffective, dangerous, or damaging, and that hand work is better unless you have the right power tools.

On the subject of scales there are some nice scroll saws including a dremel version at www.tools4wood.co.za

JHBBlade

Postby JHBBlade » Mon May 08, 2017 8:58 pm

Hand scroll R690. Dremel R1740. Martlet R2000. ImageImageImage

JHBBlade

Postby AndreGrobler » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:25 am

A coping saw, a jewelers saw with a heavy blade or gross, a piece of flat granite or glass, some pin stock and washer stock... and a small ball peen hammer... lots of sanding paper from 120 grit to 2000, a sawing post and a bench vise and a dremel or drill is all you need for scales... you can make do with less... those r1600 ryobi belt and disk sander combo's will remove the grunt work, but buy good belts from herbst or kmts... but honestly the chance of stuff-ups are just exponentially higher... Prosono's offcut bin will give you more than enough to begin with, take a ruler and only get stuff longer than 130-150mm... a coping saw with eclipse or better blades cuts plenty fast... even to cut thin stock to make scales... even in really hard woods i have cut out a 450mm child's sword out of pine with a coping saw and eclipse blades in about 25min... harder wood to cut scales will take me 15min if i'm careful to go straight... i do this regularly for knifehandles when bandsaw blades are done...

handtools are a MUCH more relaxing way to do it, than electric... especially cause you can easily clean up a desk after doing this... machines put dust everywhere...
AndreGrobler

Postby JHBBlade » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:14 am

Good advice Andre. Prosano looks like an awesome place to visit.

JHBBlade

Return to Single Edged Razor Discussion