Straights : Vintage vs New vs Artisan

Postby deepsouth » Fri May 20, 2016 11:23 am

Hi Gents,

Keen to hear your thoughts on it, would you rather:
a) Have a good vintage daily shaver
b) Brand new straight, out of the box
c) Artisanal made custom straight or kamisori
d) All of the above - most likely option

I only have vintage razors, some have sentimental value, one is virtually new and some others are rehoned and restored. I've peeked at the new straights and gasp at the cost ( :o ) Has anyone bought a new straight and compared it?

I'd love a custom Zowada or Mastro Livi in my rotation, these (in my view are) the epitome of awesome, custom designed and made just for you. However, I never pegged myself for a sentimentalist and having such rich history put's me on the straight and not so narrow vintage path
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Re: Straights : Vintage vs New vs Artisan

Postby Thug » Fri May 20, 2016 11:33 am

I have several straights and DE's and to be perfectly honest, in so far as DE's are concerned, I prefer new razors (Ok, I did make an exception for the refurbished Fatboy). I have never really given a moments thought to shaving with a old vintage DE.

In so far as Straights are concerned, I have no particular preference. A Michael Waterhouse / Ali's Blade / Mastro Livi etc are probably the ultimate artisan custom made SR's but a well honed and kept 125 year old Wade & Butcher will shave equally as well.

That's what's nice about this hobby, different razors appeal to different folk. You pay your money and you make your choice.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri May 20, 2016 11:35 am

deepsouth wrote:Hi Gents,

Keen to hear your thoughts on it, would you rather:
a) Have a good vintage daily shaver
b) Brand new straight, out of the box
c) Artisanal made custom straight or kamisori
d) All of the above - most likely option

I only have vintage razors, some have sentimental value, one is virtually new and some others are rehoned and restored. I've peeked at the new straights and gasp at the cost ( :o ) Has anyone bought a new straight and compared it?

I'd love a custom Zowada or Mastro Livi in my rotation, these (in my view are) the epitome of awesome, custom designed and made just for you. However, I never pegged myself for a sentimentalist and having such rich history put's me on the straight and not so narrow vintage path

Interesting post deepSouth:

a) Finding a vintage razor in decent condition is tricky, but you can pick up a few good ones. Still, some time and effort has to be put in to getting it shave ready again.

b) The price of a brand new DOVO, Thiers Issard, or Boker razor is high but consider it a long term investment. Properly cared for , this razor would last a life-time (or more).

c) For a custom razor: I would not recommend this somebody new to shaving. Rather play around with a few straight razors first to find the blade shape, width, grind, point, steel etc. that suits you best. These are questions a that a custom razor maker will ask you when placing your order. (I know we were fortunate enough have Jacob Ray as a member here on the forum. Have not heard form him in a while.)
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby deepsouth » Fri May 20, 2016 11:43 am

Agree, I have a few vintage DE's and have good shaves with them, there's just something else about a vintage straight. Before DE's became popular.

If I compare my mild ball-end tech with a mild Muhle R106 - both good shavers, I'd tend to opt for the Muhle instead, purely for the feel in the hand and weight. I've started favouring the Slim over the Fatboy, only for the slimmer doors and slightly longer handle. I do miss the extra weight.

Right now - the FaTip is my go to razor. Fast, efficient, weighty, brilliant. I haven't had the time to polish my straight technique, which isn't bad as the time spent away from it helps with analysis paralysis.
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby Bundubeard » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:09 pm

All about how I feel on the day, Love a shave with a vintage when feeling nostalgic/old school, prefer a Feather shavette when I am in a bit of a rush, and love my customs when showing to fellow admirers of handcrafted items, and when shaving in 'public' places.
Boendoebaard/Bundubeard

Kry daai boendoe van jou gesig af/Get that bundu off your face
Bundubeard

Postby Thug » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:46 pm

I'm going to be paying a visit to the SA Knifemakers guild showing on the 19/20th August.

Should be interesting what Straight Razors will be displayed / on offer.

I know that Jack Connan will have a couple there.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Return to Single Edged Razor Discussion