Straight razor project

Straight razor project

Postby Stubble » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:11 am

I have stumbled upon a old straight. I am having the blade restored and sharpened. The scales was very ugly and I decided to make some new ones from olive wood. I attached some WIP photos. Still a lot of work to do before it is finished. The devil is in the detail they say. I will post again when the blade is back and final product is finished. Comments welcome. Need an idea for the pin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stubble

Re: Straight razor project

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:14 am

Stubble wrote:I have stumbled upon a old straight. I am having the blade restored and sharpened. The scales was very ugly and I decided to make some new ones from olive wood. I attached some WIP photos. Still a lot of work to do before it is finished. The devil is in the detail they say. I will post again when the blade is back and final product is finished. Comments welcome. Need an idea for the pin.

Very nice looking scales there Stubble. :thumbup: Blade looks fairly clean as well. Any idea of the date / origin?
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby panthera » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:04 am

Stubble wrote:I have stumbled upon a old straight. I am having the blade restored and sharpened. The scales was very ugly and I decided to make some new ones from olive wood. I attached some WIP photos. Still a lot of work to do before it is finished. The devil is in the detail they say. I will post again when the blade is back and final product is finished. Comments welcome. Need an idea for the pin.

Wow, I love the grain in the scales. You have done a very good job on the shape of those scales already. Do you have a carpentry background?

Nice blade too- that should turn out great. Do you who made it?
panthera

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:45 am

What did you have in mind for the pins?
Do you want to go traditional (Small washer with copper)?
Did you shellac the wood?
It will be well worth it those are some nice scales.
ShaveHavenSA

Postby HenkB » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:13 am

Awesome!
HenkB

Postby Stubble » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:14 am

I have no idea of the blade. All I can make out is Sheffield. I have seen many of them in antique stores before. Black plastic handles. I think it was a run of the mill kind of blade. Not full hallow ground more like 1/4. What do you think should the finish on the scales be? High gloss, matt, or oil finish? I just play around with small wood projects, no background in it. Amazing what one can do with a dremmel and some time. :)
Stubble

Postby Stubble » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:19 am

I actually also thought copper will go well with the wood. And a copper spacer at the front maybe. I have previously used a knifemakers secret on olive wood were you do multiple layers of superglue and polish and the end results is extremely high gloss finish. Might be a bit flashy for this though.
Stubble

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:42 pm

Maybe not too high gloss. It will be great to keep the grain as visible as possible.
Copper pins will look great on those scales
ShaveHavenSA

Postby grator » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:03 am

Its a traditional razor. Just go the oil root. Lindseed oil to be specific

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk
Its a good time to shave!!
grator

Postby Stubble » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:04 pm

Some progress. I have decided an oil finish will look best. I sanded it to 1200 grit. Finished of with Schaftol premium Gold gunstock oil. Gave it a hand buff. Wil decide upoon the pins when I get the blade back. Will keep you posted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stubble

Postby Thug » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:55 pm

Very nice Stubble.

How thick are those scales?
Thug

Postby Stubble » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Thank you Thug. 3.6mm each.
Stubble

Postby Chrisvo » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:35 pm

Looks good!
Chrisvo

Postby Stubble » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:49 pm

Okay so here is the before and after foto's. I messed up the one scale and had to make a new one today. Small pins would probably have looked nicer but I have no experience with pins. I wanted to sink the bolt heads into the wood but after I damaged the one scale I gave that idea up. Anyway it is not a masterwork but the shave and blade is what counts. Shavehavensa also restored this blade for me. Really good work done by him.
Stubble

Postby Thug » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:05 am

Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:23 am

Good work Stubble. Came out very nice. :thumbup:
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby AndreGrobler » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:31 pm

Very nicely figured olive wood that...
AndreGrobler

Postby AndreGrobler » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:34 pm

If you want to use screws look at www.kmts.co.za or www. Herbst.-knives.co.za for some blingy ones... not always available but worth a scrounge... Derek Rausch might be a worthwhile avenue too... i think actually Derek might be the first option and then herbst and then kmts...
AndreGrobler

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:18 pm

AndreGrobler wrote:If you want to use screws look at http://www.kmts.co.za or www. Herbst.-knives.co.za for some blingy ones... not always available but worth a scrounge... Derek Rausch might be a worthwhile avenue too... i think actually Derek might be the first option and then herbst and then kmts...

Good advice. I did my knife making cource at Herbst some years back.
ShaveHavenSA

Postby AndreGrobler » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:34 pm

Tinus and oom Gawie are great people to deal with...
AndreGrobler

Next

Return to Single Edged Razor Discussion