One Blade Core Razor Review

One Blade Core Razor Review

Postby lladets » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:50 am

IMG_20191122_110211.jpg

Since receiving this razor earlier this week I have had the chance to have three shaves.......the first with two day growth and the 2nd and 3rd with only one day's stubble.
The razor takes a bit of getting used to as the angle of the blade to the handle is acute when comparing with the D/E razors with almost 90° angles. The pivoting head is probably the reason for this......something similar to a cartridge razor with a single blade............and with an almost similar cost!!
The weight of the razor without blade is 67g due to the stainless steel rod core in the handle ......comfortable in the hand.
I must admit that it is difficult to nick oneself with this razor and my first shave gave a fantastic DFS using only WTG and finishing with a XTG pass.
"One blade", on their website talk about three shaves per blade and I can agree with them as my second and third shaves (one day apart) really started tugging as the shaves progressed. After the third shave it's definitely time for a blade change.
This translates into expensive shaves as the price of the Feather FHS-10 blades cost ±$30 for 30 blades ex USA ...........about R5 per shave excluding import duties etc.
The blade itself when installed in the razor has a certain amount of movement in its position which I thought would have a bearing on the shave quality, but this does not affect it.
Notwithstanding the apparent bluntness of the blade, my shaves were surprisingly smooth with no alum stone bite whatsoever.
Overall an excellent razor but due to the blade cost not a very good idea for everyday use if you are on a budget. It'll take a lot to prise me from my Rockwell 2C which in my opinion is the best in my collection.........with any blade.
lladets

Re: One Blade Core Razor Review

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:13 pm

lladets wrote:
IMG_20191122_110211.jpg

Since receiving this razor earlier this week I have had the chance to have three shaves.......the first with two day growth and the 2nd and 3rd with only one day's stubble.
The razor takes a bit of getting used to as the angle of the blade to the handle is acute when comparing with the D/E razors with almost 90° angles. The pivoting head is probably the reason for this......something similar to a cartridge razor with a single blade............and with an almost similar cost!!
The weight of the razor without blade is 67g due to the stainless steel rod core in the handle ......comfortable in the hand.
I must admit that it is difficult to nick oneself with this razor and my first shave gave a fantastic DFS using only WTG and finishing with a XTG pass.
"One blade", on their website talk about three shaves per blade and I can agree with them as my second and third shaves (one day apart) really started tugging as the shaves progressed. After the third shave it's definitely time for a blade change.
This translates into expensive shaves as the price of the Feather FHS-10 blades cost ±$30 for 30 blades ex USA ...........about R5 per shave excluding import duties etc.
The blade itself when installed in the razor has a certain amount of movement in its position which I thought would have a bearing on the shave quality, but this does not affect it.
Notwithstanding the apparent bluntness of the blade, my shaves were surprisingly smooth with no alum stone bite whatsoever.
Overall an excellent razor but due to the blade cost not a very good idea for everyday use if you are on a budget. It'll take a lot to prise me from my Rockwell 2C which in my opinion is the best in my collection.........with any blade.

Nice review Sir! I have heard the oneblade is a fairly mild razor. Interesting to hear the blade has some movement. These are tricky blades to get hold of as well. Perhaps also give the Japanese auction sites a try.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby dini » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:33 am

Nice review ,lladets .

I am thinking of pulling the trigger on on of these myself . Mostly just to give it a try as well .
dini

Postby dini » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:50 am

Oneblade is having a sitewide sale if anyone is keen on picking one up.
dini

Return to Single Edged Razor Discussion