Shavette users

Re: Shavette users

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:24 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:
ShaveHavenSA wrote:Found this interesting "shavette". You would think that the fit will be weird but its surprisingly comfortable. I have not used it yet but will soon.
Also cannot find any info on it.

Interesting design. Looks like a scissors?

Actually works the same as the ones you sell but just without the scales. The ring hooks over the ring finger and you grip the front with the index and thumb. Just one thing that might make me think that this is to shave another person is that you set it up either left or right handed. And it can't be switched from hand to hand when you shave yourself, the ring gets in the way.
ShaveHavenSA

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:10 pm

ShaveHavenSA wrote:
ShaveHavenSA wrote:Found this interesting "shavette". You would think that the fit will be weird but its surprisingly comfortable. I have not used it yet but will soon.

Actually works the same as the ones you sell but just without the scales. The ring hooks over the ring finger and you grip the front with the index and thumb. Just one thing that might make me think that this is to shave another person is that you set it up either left or right handed. And it can't be switched from hand to hand when you shave yourself, the ring gets in the way.

Interesting, definitely would be to shave another person. I think it would be for use by barbers.

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby jegreen » Fri May 05, 2017 3:40 pm

I was telling the lady that cuts my hair a few weeks ago about wet shaving and she just sent me a message asking for some more info. She has started her own haircut salon and is looking into offering shaves as well. I've looked up online but struggling to narrow things down a bit. So turning to some of the experienced members here for advice :wave:

It would need to be a blade that can be disposed of after one use, so running costs will be important. So looking for a recommendation for good quality and easy restock of blades. Seems like a Dovo Shavette is the best option that I've seen so far?
jegreen

Postby deepsouth » Fri May 05, 2017 4:55 pm

I got mine from RVT, uses snapped in half DE blades - cheap as chips. The Dovo needs a longer blade if I'm not mistaken.
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby Gaza365 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:01 pm

ShaveHavenSA wrote:
RiverValleyTrading wrote:[quote="ShaveHavenSA"]Found this interesting "shavette". You would think that the fit will be weird but its surprisingly comfortable. I have not used it yet but will soon.

Interesting, definitely would be to shave another person. I think it would be for use by barbers.

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk[/quote]

My barber uses the supermax green blades, which he snaps in half and fits to his shavette. He uses this to clean up the neck and around the ears with every haircut.
He is also only charging R 40 per cut, so I'm sure it's cant be costing him a fortune to operate like this.

From what I have seen when he does a shave, he uses the same tools but uses a new half for each of the two passes.

He does seem quite proficient with placing the blade in the shavette before "clamping" it shut maybe it's something that needs to be practiced with this makeshift method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Gaza365

Postby jegreen » Sat May 06, 2017 12:09 am

Thanks guys. Will give her a few options to try. May end up having to be a volunteer to practice on! :?
jegreen

Postby ryan-rsa » Mon May 08, 2017 11:07 am

deepsouth wrote:I got mine from RVT, uses snapped in half DE blades - cheap as chips. The Dovo needs a longer blade if I'm not mistaken.

You are correct Deepsouth about the longer blades but the Dovo can also take normal DE blades.
Why is it I always get my best ideas while shaving?
-Albert Einstein
ryan-rsa

Postby deepsouth » Mon May 08, 2017 12:40 pm

That's right, it has an adapter slot for them. I looked at them a while ago

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
deepsouth

Postby jegreen » Mon May 08, 2017 1:53 pm

I've been reading up a bit and the Sanguine Coolcut seems to be a good value shavette type for using DE blades. The Dovo looks wonderful, but getting it with all the inserts makes it a bit of a bigger investment. It seems very clear that DE blades are not the way to go to get a good result with a shavette. The Feather and Kai is at the top end, and was also surprised to see that there are vintage ones that are rated highly.
jegreen

Postby Mikaar » Mon May 08, 2017 2:18 pm

You could also try buying one from one of the local Pakistani barbers. I bought mine for about R50. I'm not sure if it is a genuine brand or not, but it has 7'O Clock Pak Plus written on the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikaar

Postby deepsouth » Mon May 08, 2017 2:42 pm

There's some really nice vintage shavettes out there (hard to find) the Feather is the penultimate in my view - getting blades might be a pain, but you could use the 40mm personna blades from RVT (the blades are typically 50mm)

I found the shavette both easier and harder to use than a straight;
- shorter [this is a pro and con], but known (length, cutting edge, sharpness) blade edge
- less maintenance, swop out blades easily, no need to sharpen
- distance between shavette edge and actual blade vs angle of attack. JHBBlade covered this in detail and mentioned that he wil 'hone' off the shavette edge
- cheap to start, my RVT shavette was R30 and I use it now and then
deepsouth

Postby Jacquers » Mon May 08, 2017 2:50 pm

There's a Feather here: http://www.junkmail.co.za/household/oth ... r/65402146

Not sure if it's still available.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Previous

Return to Single Edged Razor Discussion