Shavette users

Re: Shavette users

Postby grator » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:52 pm

Did something wrong last night. Ended up with 3 nasty cuts on one side. Think I was to relaxed, and spoke with the wife while shaving. That supermax platinum blades are very sharp.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk
Its a good time to shave!!
grator

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:01 pm

Sorry to hear. Just be very carful for the next few healing days. I always say that the shavette has got teeth
ShaveHavenSA

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:55 pm

Ouch! Have to keep the concentration Grator. The missus should know better than to talk to man with a sharp blade at his neck :lol:
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Jacquers » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:09 pm

Has anyone here tried a DEVette? Basically a DE with the guard bar taken off. You need to be pretty careful, but if I remember correctly I was able to have a shave without blood loss, albeit with some irritation.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:09 am

Jacquers wrote:Has anyone here tried a DEVette? Basically a DE with the guard bar taken off. You need to be pretty careful, but if I remember correctly I was able to have a shave without blood loss, albeit with some irritation.

I remember Admin modified his Lion razor this way. The pics are somewhere on the forum. Said he got quite a good shave.

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Jacquers » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:41 am

O yes, forgot about that... and it was me who started that thread :oops:
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby grator » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:13 pm

First shave with the queen after our ruff evening, which left me bleeding. Took it slow, small movements, and ignored the wife. Shave is okay. Strange that my chin which is a problem area, is so smooth. Def doing something right there.

grator

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:01 am

grator wrote:First shave with the queen after our ruff evening, which left me bleeding. Took it slow, small movements, and ignored the wife. Shave is okay. Strange that my chin which is a problem area, is so smooth. Def doing something right there.

Well done Grator! Keep with it :thumbup:
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:34 am

grator wrote:First shave with the queen after our ruff evening, which left me bleeding. Took it slow, small movements, and ignored the wife. Shave is okay. Strange that my chin which is a problem area, is so smooth. Def doing something right there.

To get back on the horse is the right thing to do. Good going
ShaveHavenSA

Postby grator » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:02 am

You guys recon that a heavier shavette will give a better. (Smoother) shave? As RVT knows, the queen is very light. Or is this not the case as with DE? It might also be my skills that aren't up to par yet. I really do not know what to get next... a better razor or a better brush? Soaps and creams are a given. Haha.

grator

Postby panthera » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am

grator wrote:You guys recon that a heavier shavette will give a better. (Smoother) shave? As RVT knows, the queen is very light. Or is this not the case as with DE? It might also be my skills that aren't up to par yet. I really do not know what to get next... a better razor or a better brush? Soaps and creams are a given. Haha.

There is a chance that a heavier razor would mean that the weight of the razor would cut easier requiring less pressure/input from yourself. Shavettes are widely regarded to be quite difficult to handle in general though and very unforgiving. Having many, many more shavette shaves under your belt will also help as technique is key with this type of shaving.

Failing that, try and find a shave ready straight and try with that. The shavette will give you an indication whether you like this type of shaving or not and therefore a straight might be a sensible investment. Many think that straights, whilst still very unforgiving, are actually more forgiving than shavettes.

I also thing the quality of your soap/lather matters more than the quality of your brush initially. Most brushes can whip up a good lather and a high end brush is a luxury- the extent to which it improves the actual workhorse lather is minimal. It just lets you customise your shaving experience that much more :D . On that note a decent soap/cream is essential for a decent straight/shavette shave in my opinion as the lather can make or break a shave, much more than with a DE.
panthera

Postby HenkB » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:49 am

panthera wrote:
grator wrote:You guys recon that a heavier shavette will give a better. (Smoother) shave? As RVT knows, the queen is very light. Or is this not the case as with DE? It might also be my skills that aren't up to par yet. I really do not know what to get next... a better razor or a better brush? Soaps and creams are a given. Haha.

There is a chance that a heavier razor would mean that the weight of the razor would cut easier requiring less pressure/input from yourself. Shavettes are widely regarded to be quite difficult to handle in general though and very unforgiving. Having many, many more shavette shaves under your belt will also help as technique is key with this type of shaving.

Failing that, try and find a shave ready straight and try with that. The shavette will give you an indication whether you like this type of shaving or not and therefore a straight might be a sensible investment. Many think that straights, whilst still very unforgiving, are actually more forgiving than shavettes.

I also thing the quality of your soap/lather matters more than the quality of your brush initially. Most brushes can whip up a good lather and a high end brush is a luxury- the extent to which it improves the actual workhorse lather is minimal. It just lets you customise your shaving experience that much more :D . On that note a decent soap/cream is essential for a decent straight/shavette shave in my opinion as the lather can make or break a shave, much more than with a DE.

I fully agree. Pre-shave is essential, especially in the beginning when you start with shaving. Concentration is of the utmost importance. The razor should glide of its own accord. Do not push the razor, you are putting pressure and will cut yourself.

A rule that I live by is just to scrape the lather LIGHTLY off with my straight. If I do this correct, the shave is perfect. And remember, this takes time and lots of practice to perfect.
HenkB

Postby grator » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:01 am

I must say, I do enjoy the shavette shave. Even if it takes me a long time to shave. I am up to shave 11, and loving it. I had a look at straights this morning.... new is way out of my budget for now. Think I will just buy more soap and blades.

grator

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:15 pm

Panthera gave good advice and also HenkB.
Not to repeat what they said but I tend to think that weight makes a difference.
You don't really get heavy shavette's. I love my Dovo shavette and will always take it when I travel. But that said a proper straight new or vintage does feel easier and more "forgiving".
You can get really good vintage straights for not very expensive, as @Vintage1973 has proven. A decent one can be found for anything from R150.00 up to I suppose in the thousands but on average about R500.00 but know then that this is a lifetime investment. Just know that the stones and strops also come extra.
Just a word of caution if you want to buy a straight, take a photo and post it on the forum. Let's just check its not a bad condition vintage.
ShaveHavenSA

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:29 pm

Found this interesting "shavette". You would think that the fit will be weird but its surprisingly comfortable. I have not used it yet but will soon.
Also cannot find any info on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShaveHavenSA

Postby grator » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:25 pm

Where do you guys find these things. None of my local shop have anything that resembles a vintage straight or des.....

grator

Postby grator » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:43 pm

http://m.bidorbuy.co.za/item/208521738/ ... n_box.html can this be??

grator

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:26 pm

grator wrote:http://m.bidorbuy.co.za/item/208521738/Straight_Razor_Shaving_Brush_and_leather_Strop_in_wooden_box.html can this be??

I would not. These razors dont keep edge well and are very difficult to get shave ready and sometimes not at all. Also thats not a leather strop. This is a cheaply manufactured Chinese razor.

Regarding your question about where we get stuff.
Weve built up connections with antique stores, ebay and BOB sellers, this forum and international forums. Put out a wanted post of what you are looking for and Im sure the forum members will let you know when they see something in there store trolling or if they have something to sell themself.
ShaveHavenSA

Postby grator » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:40 pm

Cool thanks

grator

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:02 pm

ShaveHavenSA wrote:Found this interesting "shavette". You would think that the fit will be weird but its surprisingly comfortable. I have not used it yet but will soon.
Also cannot find any info on it.

Interesting design. Looks like a scissors?
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

PreviousNext

Return to Single Edged Razor Discussion