Shavette users

Shavette users

Postby admin » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:40 am

Good morning gents,

Who of you have thought about or are currently using a shavette razor?

I enjoy my shavette razor but only on days when I know that there will absolutely no interruptions or time constraints. I have also found that the razor coupled with a good soap, such as Tabac, glides so much better.

There is a certain amount of muscle memory required and I think by using it more you will certainly become more proficient in it's use.
Master Shave | The Home of Wet Shaving Enthusiasts |Links: Image Image
admin
Site Admin

Re: Shavette users

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:12 am

admin wrote:Good morning gents,

Who of you have thought about or are currently using a shavette razor?

I enjoy my shavette razor but only on days when I know that there will absolutely no interruptions or time constraints. I have also found that the razor coupled with a good soap, such as Tabac, glides so much better.

There is a certain amount of muscle memory required and I think by using it more you will certainly become more proficient in it's use.

Shavettes are nice to get a feel of a straight razor. There is long learning curve. Most barbers say it takes 100 shaves to become proficient. They are also fairly cheap so it's worthwhile giving it a go. 8-)
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:11 am

I am absolutely a shavette fan. You get 2 versions the short blade and long blade. Then you get ones that you can use short or long blades in the same razor body. Dovo makes a fantastic shavette. But i have to second Master Shave and River Valley, the learning curve is huge and do not shave with a shavette if you will be bothered you need all your marbles present and operating.
ShaveHavenSA offers its help long time.
ShaveHavenSA

Postby Thug » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:28 pm

Never used a shavette having only recently converted to DE shaving, so will have to give it a bash in the near future.

Any recommendations?
Thug

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:39 am

Thug wrote:Never used a shavette having only recently converted to DE shaving, so will have to give it a bash in the near future.

Any recommendations?

I'm a firm believer in the Dovo Shavette ( will receive stock soon). They are one of the largest razor manufacturers in the world.
I like the fact that you can use 2 blade types (short and long) in one razor. All you need to do is change the insert (included in pack) The long blade resembles a traditional straight razor length. For the shorter blade you snap a standard double edge blade in half , Long one as well but you also get single long bladed made by Dovo.
You get other brands that only use the short blade see River Valley Trading. Works just as good but can't take long blade.

Just a word of advice / warning - "RESPECT THE BLADE" shavettes are very sharp and due to the angle that can change so easy and no safety guards, you can get a cut easy. Take a nice relaxed Sunday morning, send the wife / girlfriend or kids to the store to get some biltong and do a nice easy slow shave. I can promise you one thing, the sense of accomplishment once you get the shavette or a straight right is unmatched.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ShaveHavenSA

Postby Thug » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:14 pm

ShaveHavenSA wrote:
Thug wrote:Never used a shavette having only recently converted to DE shaving, so will have to give it a bash in the near future.

Any recommendations?

I'm a firm believer in the Dovo Shavette ( will receive stock soon). They are one of the largest razor manufacturers in the world.
I like the fact that you can use 2 blade types (short and long) in one razor. All you need to do is change the insert (included in pack) The long blade resembles a traditional straight razor length. For the shorter blade you snap a standard double edge blade in half , Long one as well but you also get single long bladed made by Dovo.
You get other brands that only use the short blade see River Valley Trading. Works just as good but can't take long blade.

Just a word of advice / warning - "RESPECT THE BLADE" shavettes are very sharp and due to the angle that can change so easy and no safety guards, you can get a cut easy. Take a nice relaxed Sunday morning, send the wife / girlfriend or kids to the store to get some biltong and do a nice easy slow shave. I can promise you one thing, the sense of accomplishment once you get the shavette or a straight right is unmatched.

Where is the "like" button when you need one ;)

Thanks.
Thug

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:04 am

Thug wrote:
ShaveHavenSA wrote:

Any recommendations?

Where is the "like" button when you need one ;)

Thanks.

You are welcome. Sorry if its inappropriate to post a sales ad here... just got one Dovo Shavette in stock if interested, will get more soon.
ShaveHavenSA

Postby grator » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:11 am

Enjoying my shavette very much. Keeping the skin tight is the secret

Sent from my G7-L01 using Tapatalk
Its a good time to shave!!
grator

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:24 am

grator wrote:Enjoying my shavette very much. Keeping the skin tight is the secret

That's a great tip Grator. Glad to hear you are enjoying the open blade.

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Vintage1973 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:58 am

The inherent balance of a good straight razor is paramount in achieving the correct blade angle.

This is why a heavier set of scales are so nice, as well as the position of the scales, relative to the blade axis. If you keep your elbow locked, while using just your wrist to create arc-shaped strokes, instead of scratching off the stubble, you can achieve a much smoother cutting action, as well as keeping the cutting angle more constant. This also serves to keep the pressure at a minimum, since the stubble provide less resistance.

This being said, the above technique works well on large flat areas like the temples and cheeks. Neck areas need a simple, short, straight stroke. The short stroke assists in maintaining a correct angle around curves.

One of the most challenging areas to shave IMHO, is around the jawline, which is why you should stretch your skin upwards, to shave the jawline skin as a flat area. Suddenly, there would just be a clean shaven jawline, with just the neck to go. As has been mentioned, stretching the skin as much as possible, will ease the process and prevent the blade from grabbing in any skin folds.

My ten cents worth, but it works for me.
Vintage1973

Postby HenkB » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:42 am

Awesome tips.

I agree, keep the skin as tight as possible. Short shaves with the technique described above. Almost no pressure should be present, let the blade to the work.

This is more important when going ATG, otherwise you will cut yourself.
HenkB

Postby grator » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:54 pm

What are the advantages of a "proper" straight? The shavette is so easy. Use blade twice and toss. Why go through all the trouble of stroping and honing? Don't get me wrong, I will love a proper straight, but is it more comfortable or what?

grator

Postby HenkB » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:25 pm

The weight of the straight is significant for me, which helps in cutting the hairs... That is the reason why I like a wedge more thank a hollow-ground (although the acoustic feedback of the hollow ground is awesome)
HenkB

Postby grator » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:34 pm

HenkB wrote:The weight of the straight is significant for me, which helps in cutting the hairs... That is the reason why I like a wedge more thank a hollow-ground (although the acoustic feedback of the hollow ground is awesome)

So a straight is heavier? So heavier means closer shave? But why are so many barbers using shavettes?

grator

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:27 pm

grator wrote:
HenkB wrote:The weight of the straight is significant for me, which helps in cutting the hairs... That is the reason why I like a wedge more thank a hollow-ground (although the acoustic feedback of the hollow ground is awesome)

So a straight is heavier? So heavier means closer shave? But why are so many barbers using shavettes?

Hi there Grator,

Straight razors do vary in weight, some are heavy, and some are light. Some people prefer hollow ground razors and others prefer a wedge blade.

For hygiene reasons, barbers are no longer allowed to use straight razors (HIV etc.) . Therefore, they all use disposable blade Shavettes. However, in the hands of a skilled barber, a shavette can give a perfect shave. Shavettes are also lower maintenance (no honing or stropping).
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:19 pm

grator wrote:What are the advantages of a "proper" straight? The shavette is so easy. Use blade twice and toss. Why go through all the trouble of stroping and honing? Don't get me wrong, I will love a proper straight, but is it more comfortable or what?

No advantage or disadvantage between the two. Its a personal choice. Just a bit of a correction: a "Shavette" is a product made by Dovo. Other products like that are "disposable straight razor's" this is just useless info. Tamato Tomato same thing...
Rvt is right in that its for cleanliness and health reasons Barbers use disposables. I use both Shavette and traditional straight razor. The Shavette works good when I travel but i feel traditionalist when I'm home. With traditional there is a much higher cost to start.
So its just a choice, both will shave smooth if used correct.
ShaveHavenSA

Postby Vintage1973 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:37 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:
grator wrote:

Hi there Grator,

Straight razors do vary in weight, some are heavy, and some are light. Some people prefer hollow ground razors and others prefer a wedge blade.

For hygiene reasons, barbers are no longer allowed to use straight razors (HIV etc.) . Therefore, they all use disposable blade Shavettes. However, in the hands of a skilled barber, a shavette can give a perfect shave. Shavettes are also lower maintenance (no honing or stropping).

RVT is perfectly correct in his comment regarding hygiene. IMHO, shaving with a straight razor is all about being an anorak, since we really do
not NEED to go through all the motions any more. Wet shaving is about the RITUAL and for that, nothing beats the full monty that the correct preparation of a traditional straight edge provides. It is about mastering a skill, admiring the sheer expertise that went into making a tool of such grace and elegance, feeling steel in excess of a century gliding through stubble, the sheer longevity of a properly prepared slab of carbon steel.

Sure, my Muhle R41gives as close a shave, quicker and with less effort, but come on - if we wanted convenience we would still be using cartridge razors! We are men. We like a challenge. We like steep learning curves. We like to think we are Al Capone, Humphrey Bogart, James Bond... Guns are close to being illegal in this country...our weapon of choice...the traditional straight. We are not metro, we are traditionalists. We shave like our
Grandpa.
Vintage1973

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:40 pm

Vintage1973 wrote:
grator wrote:[quote="HenkB"]The weight of the straight is significant for me, which helps in cutting the hairs... That is the reason why I like a wedge more thank a hollow-ground (although the acoustic feedback of the hollow ground is awesome)

Hi there Grator,

RVT is perfectly correct in his comment regarding hygiene. IMHO, shaving with a straight razor is all about being an anorak, since we really do
not NEED to go through all the motions any more. Wet shaving is about the RITUAL and for that, nothing beats the full monty that the correct preparation of a traditional straight edge provides. It is about mastering a skill, admiring the sheer expertise that went into making a tool of such grace and elegance, feeling steel in excess of a century gliding through stubble, the sheer longevity of a properly prepared slab of carbon steel.

Sure, my Muhle R41gives as close a shave, quicker and with less effort, but come on - if we wanted convenience we would still be using cartridge razors! We are men. We like a challenge. We like steep learning curves. We like to think we are Al Capone, Humphrey Bogart, James Bond... Guns are close to being illegal in this country...our weapon of choice...the traditional straight. We are not metro, we are traditionalists. We shave like our
Grandpa.[/quote]
Well said Sir!

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby grator » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:10 am

Vintage1973 wrote:
grator wrote:[quote="HenkB"]The weight of the straight is significant for me, which helps in cutting the hairs... That is the reason why I like a wedge more thank a hollow-ground (although the acoustic feedback of the hollow ground is awesome)

Hi there Grator,

Grandpa.[/quote]
Thanks. That sums it up for me.

grator

Postby HenkB » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:39 am

Balance is more important than weight. For me, I like a heavy-ish razor, since gravity pulls the razor down and it cuts the stubble. with my hollowground, I need to put in a bit more effort (not that it is effort) to get the same glide, if you catch my drift.
HenkB

Next

Return to Single Edged Razor Discussion